Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I've no problem with MR, BUT (and this really is like a broken record) I hate the adverts and see absolutely no reason why we can't get the money from the BBC to run MR as part of the the licence fee provision - i.e. they pay double the current subvention to MR so that it runs ad free and the commercial market is left to three/energy.

I think this would be a relatively simple negotiation because the BBC's current provision for the IOM is embarrassing and they know it.

I'd keep something akin to the current format, but with the commercial imperative gone the music policy could be more varied and adventurous during the whole day featuring more local talent and lesser heard tracks as opposed to Alex's favourite 20 tunes all the time.

We don't need state funded official pop music and entertainments at all. Not from the BBC or Manx Radio. The remit should be to inform and educate only.

Manx Radio could be perfectly well replaced with a lightweight production unit producing online only content. The commerical stations could also be encouraged to distribute / use this content. The huge expense of operating an old fashioned broadcaster is completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

I've no problem with MR, BUT (and this really is like a broken record) I hate the adverts and see absolutely no reason why we can't get the money from the BBC to run MR as part of the the licence fee provision - i.e. they pay double the current subvention to MR so that it runs ad free and the commercial market is left to three/energy.

I think this would be a relatively simple negotiation because the BBC's current provision for the IOM is embarrassing and they know it.

I'd keep something akin to the current format, but with the commercial imperative gone the music policy could be more varied and adventurous during the whole day featuring more local talent and lesser heard tracks as opposed to Alex's favourite 20 tunes all the time.

I'd move it more towards a talk station with more discussion of important issues with those who have an interest - would help to seek to get politicians to justify their decisions & make them listen to the voting public more

Make more use of the talents that there is up at Manx Radio Towers

See Myers report on Manx radio, now 7 years old

There's a summary here https://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cc/consultations/manxradioresponse.pdf of Manx Radio responses

Edited by Donald Trumps

My spat with DT is that he impugned the national broadcaster by saying that 'You probably can't measure journalistic productivity at MR, station managers may spend a lot of time telling journos not to cover stories'.

Use of the word 'may' is a weasely way to wriggle out of responsibilty...bit like HIGNFY and other edgy show panelists who use 'allegedly'.

There are some real MR haters who post here regularly who have little sense or understanding of the way things actually work (as opposed to their dystopian view that the only thing stopping them being rich and successful is that everybody is corrupt), and it has therefore become almost folklore that MR managers are constantly looking after the interests of the Manx establishment by spiking unwelcome news stories. I have repeatedly tried to correct that, based on 15 years personal experience - the first 5 working in the newsroom anchoring Mandate.

Whilst I understand that there will always be haters and about not feeding trolls, I simply refuse to stand by and let - assumedly - intelligent posters attempt to defame people who are diligent and honest and an institution owned by the people for the people.

If I were a manager at Manx Radio with responsibility to set the news agenda each day, I would indeed spend a deal of time discussing with journalists what stories should be covered & what that day should not

Holding the 'Manx establishment' to account would be a major focus

This is not 'defamation' in my eyes

Edited by Donald Trumps

We don't need state funded official pop music and entertainments at all. Not from the BBC or Manx Radio. The remit should be to inform and educate only.

Manx Radio could be perfectly well replaced with a lightweight production unit producing online only content. The commerical stations could also be encouraged to distribute / use this content. The huge expense of operating an old fashioned broadcaster is completely unnecessary.

That is a minority view I disagree with fundamentally. Radio is hugely popular and it is not in the least old fashioned. Unlike really old fashioned stuff like telephone directories, the young use radio all the time. Seeing as it's mainstream, we're paying for it, and the BBC provides stations elsewhere in the British Isles, it is only right that they make a contribution towards ours. It would not be a massive leap either. They already use facilities in MR Broadcasting House.

As I've said before it's a tap you can easily turn on for info and entertainment. You don't want to have to mess around looking online for it. It's there. And it puts things before you that you didn't know you wanted "on demend" beforehand.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2