Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

Fair points LL. I suppose RAJAR will eventually show whether the new schedule works or not. I'm sure nothing is cast in tablets of stone and it might take further tweaking.

That only gives part of the story as presumably the subvention is given to support speech programming which is more expensive but also local interest programming which might not attracted the numbers that playing an hour of Take That in concert might.

As I said intentionally or not it appears that MR is in essence moving more towards the model that Energy and Three FM operate which is what the subvention was meant to help prevent. I am only a listener and Brindley may be far more in tune with the Manx Radio listener than me but I don't have had the feel that Manx Radio has a particularly young audience who might  be far more into podcasts than I am. I also expect that they will probably be far more into music podcasts, playlists etc.

The audience for Manx Radio is I reckon still people like me, my parents, who put the radio on in the car, at home and listen to what's on. We are not likely to go to a website having heard the headlines to listen to the full interview which appears to what Brindley appears to expect what people want. Yes how and where people listen is changing but it you still have to remember your core listener

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That would suggest Manx Radio are winning the battle of the streamers, at that time, on that day.

When I could be bothered with the briefings i just clicked the first one that came up in my news feed, no brand loyalty from me.

Me too. There were 3 or 4 used to crop up at once. But the figures were shown to demonstrate, or at least suggest, that Manx Radio doesn't provide updates to more people than the rest put together. It's nowhere near.

To LL. The Programme Controller is trying to woo  those age 35-55. I'm not sure how that is being done, but if at the same time he is trying to dump those over 55, well I can confirm he's succeeding there.

• Like 2

I can't comment on scheduling or management, but I'm sure that all reasonable comments will be taken into account by da bosses. Gettafa kindly confirms MR wins online but fails to recognise it's primarily a broadcast radio station and if you count listeners I'm sure my earlier point stands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

To LL. The Programme Controller is trying to woo  those age 35-55. I'm not sure how that is being done, but if at the same time he is trying to dump those over 55, well I can confirm he's succeeding there.

Well I'm in the age range he is hoping to woo but he has lost me as a listener. I also like the fact he suggests one of the problems with the old Mandate was that you could almost set your watch by the running order. From the occasional time I listen to bits of the new Breakfast programme I would suggest it is probably even more so.

Edited by Lost Login

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I can't comment on scheduling or management, but I'm sure that all reasonable comments will be taken into account by da bosses. Gettafa kindly confirms MR wins online but fails to recognise it's primarily a broadcast radio station and if you count listeners I'm sure my earlier point stands.

1.1k - Manx Radio

824 - 3fm

643 - Energy

Energy + 3fm way above MR. I don't think they broadcast live on air, and aye, Manx Radio had that sewn up, but then - typically these days - they alienated the serious listeners by cutting it at the questions.

Edited by gettafa

15 hours ago, gettafa said:

1.1k - Manx Radio

824 - 3fm

643 - Energy

Energy + 3fm way above MR. I don't think they broadcast live on air, and aye, Manx Radio had that sewn up, but then - typically these days - they alienated the serious listeners by cutting it at the questions.

I think the questions are largely lamentable. You have to be a real enthusiast to want to listen to that part. In fact, as there have been no cases for so long, perhaps they should just say "That's it. We'll let you know when there's something to report." At least they wouldn't have to come out preening themselves every day for no reason.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I think the questions are largely lamentable. You have to be a real enthusiast to want to listen to that part. In fact, as there have been no cases for so long, perhaps they should just say "That's it. We'll let you know when there's something to report." At least they wouldn't have to come out preening themselves every day for no reason.

I think many people do tend to listen to it all, for as much information as they can get, even the questions, but Manx Radio must think otherwise. Maybe there's something in the "Money for no questions" theory. And some of the lamentable questions have come from Manx Radio.

The BBC Radio 4 cut off the UK briefing soon after questions start, and I can only think that Manx Radio believe they can do the same.

Anyway, I don't think it's a particular important matter. Many folk this past few weeks use one of the Facebook feeds. Isle of Man Government now employ quite a few journalists and ex-MR staff on the gravy train, and will probably continue to expand its own information outlet on Facebook.

And of course will be looking to save much of that £million per annum given to Manx Radio, and let them clown and lark about at their own expense.

Edited by gettafa

21 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Do the management take any notice or listen to a load of middle aged posters on a forum? Genuine question?

I am personally a supporter of MR, but am increasingly finding the music choice a turn off. I am assuming that this is because I am significantly older than the 30’s target audience. But I would have to question why target that demographic anyway. I would never listen to MR in my 30’s and frankly had a lot less disposable income to spend with your advertisers. I would have thought the 40-60 age range would be a better target range. There are more of us, we generally have more money to spend with advertisers, more free time to listen, and also are likely to be more interested in the niche local programmes that should be part of the public service remit. 
BTW, I like your program and enjoy the chit chat, but not the music. God, I am getting old :(

• Like 1

Regarding the daily briefing and my somewhat cobbled together but speedily produced relative watch figures. Today's are clearer. 

Taken about 5:10pm.

Manx Radio are starting to lose it, with 3fm and Energy doing pretty well (Energy now well ahead of 3fm). 

351255797_20200602IoMGcoronavirusbriefing.thumb.jpg.e8255d7d405202915bbec7a2fe2218f4.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

Regarding the daily briefing and my somewhat cobbled together but speedily produced relative watch figures. Today's are clearer. 

Taken about 5:10pm.

Manx Radio are starting to lose it, with 3fm and Energy doing pretty well (Energy now well ahead of 3fm). 

351255797_20200602IoMGcoronavirusbriefing.thumb.jpg.e8255d7d405202915bbec7a2fe2218f4.jpg

That is just the online stuff though. The majority actually listen to the radio. You know, the medium that is what the service is all about

• Like 3