Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Does Manx Radio still play xylophone chimes at the end of obituaries? That used to make us giggle when we were little because it was so weird.

Normally followed by Barry Manilow or Roger Whitticker for some reason.

Do they still do paid obituaries?

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Not his biggest fan by any means, but put yourself in his place. What would you have answered to that ? He is only human  ATEOTD

Howard was ok,  it was the presenter asking the question in the first place.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Ewww TMI. 

Perhaps I should clarify in a "did you see the game last night" way.

The place has been nuts. We've had a overt homophobic attack on JW, all kinds of newbies, most of which were like TJ on acid. Its nice to get someone back who makes reasonable observations and arguments..............well mostly :D

I do take the notion to leave it alone now and then. I think it's a good thing. Then after a while, I usually look in to see what's going on. Some dick will post something stupid and before I know it my posting finger starts twitching again and that's it until the next time. I'm wondering where Quilpy is though.

As for the reasonable observations and arguments, just don't tell PK!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, woolley said:

He's a politician. So if you want the borders closed, he didn't say they would open. If you want them open, he left hope that they would. Clever, see?

Politicians being politicians are the main problem in this crisis both here and in the UK. It’s time to be delivering clear decisive messages even if they are unpopular than all this double-speak bullshit as they don’t want to offend the “lock down the world I’m staying in my front room until there is a vaccine” mob. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Newbie said:

It’s time to be delivering clear decisive messages

Here's one: You've been wrong about this from the very beginning.

Today the IOM has zero cases - no thanks to people like you. Whilst in the UK there are still thousands of new cases every day. And 50,000 people have died according to the ONS.

Let's keep the IOM virus free. That way most people can get back to some sort of normality. And nobody needs to go away this year except in emergencies  (and I say that as someone who has previously often spent months at a time away).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pongo said:

Does Manx Radio still play xylophone chimes at the end of obituaries? That used to make us giggle when we were little because it was so weird.

Normally followed by Barry Manilow or Roger Whitticker for some reason.

Do they still do paid obituaries?

They do still do paid obituaries. I tend to think of it as the audience having a retiring collection for the station on the way out of the show. Last time I heard them the obituaries were even sponsored by a monumental mason. :D They really don't miss a bloody trick.

The xylophone tones have been updated to some equally random, meaningless jingle to separate your dearly departed from the Shoprite commercial. Barry Manilow and Roger Whittaker have gone and been replaced by the Boy Brindley's top 20 from 1990 to date, which is a shame really as the remaining listeners would no doubt be more comfortable with Roger or Barry.

(Incidentally, they even still have a paid hour on Sunday evening on AM by some American God botherer much as Radio Caroline did in the 60s. Quite disgraceful in my opinion for a station being paid a million a year to provide a public service AND running commercials. Anyone remember UCB every night from 10pm? Another high water mark.)

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The outtakes from those obituaries were probably hilarious. Saved up for the Christmas party. Smashie and Nicey trying to make each other crack up. Type of thing.

Bing, bong, bing, bong. Followed by the Copacobana. 

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Has Manx Radio taken over the UK government now?

That’s one nightmare I’ve never actually had. To misquote Oscar Wilde; The only thing worse than Manx Radio taking over the UK government, is the UK government taking over Manx Radio.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

That’s one nightmare I’ve never actually had. To misquote Oscar Wilde; The only thing worse than Manx Radio taking over the UK government, is the UK government taking over Manx Radio.

Speaker Brindley: "Order, order. Questions to the Prime Minister. And if we could move along quickly please because Gogglebox Guru is next up on the order paper."

• Haha 1