Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Proof, it was really needed, that with a little thought about a program the presenter can make a big difference.

Talking Heads today was with Bob Harrison, also next Monday and Tuesday.

He did a bit of research, on the hoof I think, just finding out what a Minister had said about something. The program had direction and got feedback from the audience.

Surly after 5 years of the same broken record the public are intitled to a new DJ to breath live back into a very sorry two hours of so called talk radio/PSB.

I think the music content was much lower as well.

You got the impression that Bob was trying to show boss Brindley that he should get the show full time.

Let's hope so.

Congratulations all round.

• Like 2

Proof, it was really needed, that with a little thought about a program the presenter can make a big difference.

He did a bit of research, on the hoof I think, just finding out what a Minister had said about something. The program had direction and got feedback from the audience.

Surly after 5 years of the same broken record the public are intitled to a new DJ to breath live back into a very sorry two hours of so called talk radio/PSB.

You got the impression that Bob was trying to show boss Brindley that he should get the show full time.

Let's hope so.

Don't rate him. If he does take it over full time I will not be tuning in.

• Like 3

See Myers report on Manx radio, now 7 years old

There's a summary here https://www.gov.im/lib/docs/cc/consultations/manxradioresponse.pdf of Manx Radio responses

Actually the Myers Report is only three years old. It was published as one of the Appendices to the Report of the Select Committee of Tynwald on Public Service Broadcasting (from page 243 - p 248 of pdf) that came out in February 2014 and Tynwald discussed the following month. Though Myers had actually produced it in August 2013[1] for the use of the Committee.

[1] You will notice a similar pattern that we have seen in for example the Lisvane Report:

[a] Tynwald passes a motion that something should be looked into.

Tynwald and IOMG fanny about for many months before deciding to appoint an obvious and experienced outsider to produce a report.

[c] Said expert takes comprehensive evidence and quickly produces a detailed report in a couple of months.

[d] Tynwald and IOMG fanny about for many months before deciding even to debate it.

[e] The establishment carefully picks out a few bland compliments and claims that this means nothing needs to change, ignoring the critical and/or reforming 95% of it.

[f] Nothing happens except said expert gets handsomely paid.

• Like 6

As I've said before it's a tap you can easily turn on for info and entertainment. You don't want to have to mess around looking online for it. It's there. And it puts things before you that you didn't know you wanted "on demend" beforehand.

It's not the business of the state to entertain us. The only role for state broadcasting should be to inform and educate.

• Like 1

Let's hope so.

Yeh, cheers Jack

• Like 1

They are all round but lets not congratulate them for it, swapping one old fat man for another that the taxi drivers don't like will kill the callers in one go they should switch it to one of them women who seem to have listened to other radio in the past decade rather than a lame rehash of some 1980's forumla James Whale etc, mind you they are all whales.

Let's hope so.

Think you're just trolling someone there, but it is ironic that when Bob does the afternoon show the music is far more varied and less predictable. Of course he used to do the afternoons regularly about 95 years ago. I doubt that Alex will sack himself to bring Bob back though.

I'd have let Ashlea Tracey run the programming when she was there. Young as she was, she was superb and would have given the whole thing a breath of fresh air. A new, local yet very assured and professional angle. Never has anyone there been so wasted. One Saturday night show and an hour in the afternoon shared with Alex. No wonder the BBC snapped her up. If you don't see what's under your nose you soon lose it.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

Let's hope so.

What a shame you left/were sacked - that could've been you!

They are all round but lets not congratulate them for it, swapping one old fat man for another that the taxi drivers don't like will kill the callers in one go they should switch it to one of them women who seem to have listened to other radio in the past decade rather than a lame rehash of some 1980's forumla James Whale etc, mind you they are all whales.

You sound a tad obsessed. Let it go,you will feel better.

However, I have to say I am listening to the early morning show now and the woman presenter is a squealy driveller, very irritating.

• Like 3

Let's hope so.

What a shame you left/were sacked - that could've been you!

Predictable as ever.

Let's hope so.

Think you're just trolling someone there, but it is ironic that when Bob does the afternoon show the music is far more varied and less predictable. Of course he used to do the afternoons regularly about 95 years ago. I doubt that Alex will sack himself to bring Bob back though.

I'd have let Ashlea Tracey run the programming when she was there. Young as she was, she was superb and would have given the whole thing a breath of fresh air. A new, local yet very assured and professional angle. Never has anyone there been so wasted. One Saturday night show and an hour in the afternoon shared with Alex. No wonder the BBC snapped her up. If you don't see what's under your nose you soon lose it.

Agreed. I'm listening on MW 1368 at the moment to test some radio software - decent/intelligent presenters in very short supply.

I'm pretty fed up with the girl who has been doing the business news on mandate this week. Is she on work experience or an intern?

The subject matter tends to irrelevant, non-Isle of Man or simply dull and she insists on playing music at the start and end of each section, like that enhances it or something.

If she's training, someone needs to give her some guidance.

• Like 1

Agreed. I'm listening on MW 1368 at the moment to test some radio software - decent/intelligent presenters in very short supply.

You got Tim tomorrow. Everything will be fine.

But I just can't help thinking the programme is like an hour long hockey report when he's on.

• Like 1

You got Tim tomorrow. Everything will be fine.

But I just can't help thinking the programme is like an hour long hockey report when he's on.

Almost anyone is better than Mr. Shouty who was on this morning.