Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

I’ve listened to it.  I don’t think Stu is consciously racist. But he is totally unempathtic towards the experience of the first two male callers, interupts throughout openly laughs at them. The female caller that follows is at least spoken to with respect, but then has a good blokey chuckle about her with the next caller. 

The best radio phone in hosts respect the callers, listen to them draw out their experience. There is empathy and they don’t simply scoff and dismiss uncomfortable views. 

Manx Radio will never win my listening if this is the way its presenters treat the public. 

Much more succinctly put than I have posted. Unfortunately Stu just did not seem to understand the point that callers where trying to put across that just because he does not experience it or that racial prejudice is not very prominent does not mean that many do not experience it as a matter of course.

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Much more succinctly put than I have posted. Unfortunately Stu just did not seem to understand the point that callers where trying to put across that just because he does not experience it or that racial prejudice is not very prominent does not mean that many do not experience it as a matter of course.

Yes, "unfortunately" Stu doesn't understand ANY viewpoint that doesn't directly affect him, and yet portrays his own opinion on it as authority anyway.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

If you’ve heard the clip (it’s on FB now) it isn’t really that controversial. It seems like some sad teenager full of her own self righteousness and her silly student mates who have nothing to do currently have blown it up out of all proportion. It wasn’t a classic Stu Peters fauxpar of the inferior Jeremy Clarkson variety sadly. He even agreed with her at one point. This has all the classic signals of a #metoo “2” style social media trend about it. Everyone is jumping on board claiming they’ve been affected even if they’re very clearly white. 

Absolutely agree. We won’t even be allowed to call them “snowflakes” soon, 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Whenever a spat like this surfaces (and I find that the same is true of things like high-profile defamation cases) I almost invariably find that both sides have behaved like dicks and I reject each equally. And so it is in this case. Declan has identified the ill-considered nature of SPs remarks and his partial, misogynistic, clumsy and disrespectful approach to those callers. This young woman's self-righteous, posturing, equally discriminatory (yes, it's always those awful older men who are racists isn't it) and frankly juvenile narrative simply detracts from a vital subject.

As I say, they have both made themselves look like prize idiots and I repudiate the approach taken by each of them.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Are we not equally to blame for so eagerly consuming it, in the name of our consumerism-driven economy then? Whether it's Chinese designed and made or just assembled in China from Western components?

All in the name of profit and lower costs to us, the proud new owners?

Yes of course.

Personally I avoid buying cheap China made shite and never use Amazon.

I've actively started to examine where stuff is made too.    

Bring back good old European manufacturing. 

• Like 1

Sadly (for him) Stu doesn't have the intelligence to be a competent right-wing commentator such as Nick Ferrari or Ian Dale, and resorting to tactics such as a grubby support for Tommy Robinson last year meant that suspension or sponsor withdrawal was always going to be inevitable.

Just listened to the female caller (Lucy?) on the show...she absolutely runs rings round Stu Peters and totally shows up his lack of knowledge and ignorance on the subject ! Think he is gonna learn a tough lesson here about going all in on a subject without having done his research.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Are we not equally to blame for so eagerly consuming it, in the name of our consumerism-driven economy then? Whether it's Chinese designed and made or just assembled in China from Western components?

All in the name of profit and lower costs to us, the proud new owners?

That's globalisation for you. They told Blair and his ilk that it would emancipate the world and level people up. What they meant was they could get everything made for peanuts and to hell with labour conditions and the environment. Unregulated global capital doing what it does. You can say we are equally to blame, but where can you turn when so many household necessities are made exclusively in China. I would agree that a consumerism driven economy is an abomination, not to mention unsustainable.

7 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Sadly (for him) Stu doesn't have the intelligence to be a competent right-wing commentator such as Nick Ferrari or Ian Dale, and resorting to tactics such as a grubby support for Tommy Robinson last year meant that suspension or sponsor withdrawal was always going to be inevitable.

I'm not a supporter of Tommy Robinson as his campaign has consequences for innocent people. It's worth listening to his address of the Oxford Union though, if true some of his comments are eye opening and nobody has challenged what he has said, as far as I know.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I suspect, because I cannot be certain, that China didn't deliberately spread the virus.

Dear me....

I didn't poison you deliberately. That's OK then.

ETA: And "Bozo" didn't deliberately kill 50,000 people. So that's OK too. :)

Edited by woolley

The problem is that most of us posting on here have never experienced true racial discrimination or hatred.  The Isle of Man and the UK are better than the USA but we still ignore the subtle ways in which people are treated less favourably based on their race.  Stu Peters is never going to experience the same problems as a black man or woman.

101844902_10158211756301287_5183951571230130176_n.jpg

• Like 2

I do find it all a bit uncomfortable when people are going round every link on Facebook encouraging people to complain about it. If the people who listened thought it was worth complaining about then absolutely crack on but this whipping people up into a frenzy to make an issue of something before they have independently made their own mind up is a bit wrong.

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm not a supporter of Tommy Robinson as his campaign has consequences for innocent people. It's worth listening to his address of the Oxford Union though, if true some of his comments are eye opening and nobody has challenged what he has said, as far as I know.

I'm not a supporter of Tommy Robinson but...

• Like 1