Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Just now, Max Power said:

What I'm questioning is whether this is simply a set up to a) Get rid of Stu Peters and b) To promote the BML protest on 9th June. His viewpoint is fine but his supposed outrage is pathetic. He obviously couldn't debate and get his point across, he had to do it by discrediting every other viewpoint out of hand, even it was pretty mild in terms of the subject. That's not how you win over any support, you create more opposition.

Stu Peters has said something stupid and you wonder if it's a setup? He does have priors.

I presume the latter half of your post is referring to Peters.

• Like 1

Just now, gettafa said:

Outrageous. oh come on.

You have to be careful with using superlatives because you very soon run out of them. You place the ceiling too low. And it devalues your stance and agenda.

Claiming to a black man who has just told you he nearly lost half his ear in a racist attack, just a few days after the US police murdered yet another unarmed black individual, that "I've experienced no more privilege as a white man than you have as a black man" is outrageous.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, HeliX said:

Stu Peters has said something stupid and you wonder if it's a setup? He does have priors.

I presume the latter half of your post is referring to Peters.

Stu Peters opened a debate, he was asking the same question a lot of people would ask. They were welcomed to prove him wrong, they did to a point but set about calling him and others who would ask the same innocuous question racist and other unsavoury things. They are choosing to create division by having an extremist standpoint. Stu is a product of his time and represents a lot of people in his manner and attitude. He is there to be knocked down, but they could at least have been as gracious as he was. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Stu Peters opened a debate, he was asking the same question a lot of people would ask. They were welcomed to prove him wrong, they did to a point but set about calling him and others who would ask the same innocuous question racist and other unsavoury things. They are choosing to create division by having an extremist standpoint. Stu is a product of his time and represents a lot of people in his manner and attitude. He is there to be knocked down, but they could at least have been as gracious as he was. 

Extremist standpoint?

37 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"woke" "virtue signalling" "snowflake"

Terms made up by the right-wing in an effort to silence any discussion about, you know, actually being better people.

I think woke is a great word. I agree with you about snowflake. But woke saves you all the time long typing “sad, virtue-signaling, attention-seeking, hashtag following, posturing little wanker” 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I think woke is a great word. I agree with you about snowflake. But woke saves you all the time long typing “sad, virtue-signaling, attention-seeking, hashtag following, posturing little wanker” 

If the only way you can conceive of someone standing up for someone else is that they're virtue-signalling and attention-seeking, that's a rather sad view of the world.

Just now, Max Power said:

Extremist: A person who favours or resorts to immoderate, uncompromising, or fanatical methods or behaviour, esp in being politically radical.

Yes, I know what it means. I didn't hear any extremist viewpoints from the callers?

Just now, HeliX said:

Yes, I know what it means. I didn't hear any extremist viewpoints from the callers?

That said, I did hear Stu Peters flat out refusing to compromise on his own "there's no racism anymore" viewpoint despite being run rings around by the 2nd caller.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

I do find it all a bit uncomfortable when people are going round every link on Facebook encouraging people to complain about it. If the people who listened thought it was worth complaining about then absolutely crack on but this whipping people up into a frenzy to make an issue of something before they have independently made their own mind up is a bit wrong.

Well yes, but Stu's always going on about how he doesn't bother to do any research and just reacts as he thinks fit.  So if people are reacting against him in a similarly uninformed way he can't really complain and others can't really complain on his behalf.  Otherwise it's just the classic response of privilege: "How dare you do that bad thing - that's my job!".

• Like 2