Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

This'll just add to the number of black people arrested in London by the Met fuelling further accusations of unfair targeting.

The bits of protests that turn violent or destructive are regrettable and a great shame, you won't get any argument from me on that. But they don't do anything to turn me away from the underlying cause and movement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Because I think we all need to accept that yes there are problems with discrimination within our community and globally. The death in the US recently is disgusting.

BUT, there is quite clearly a 'fever' in the air where people have an arrogant stigma about them. They don't actually understand the BLM movement and its roots, they just want to feel involved and they're creating murky waters for the movement and I have a firm feeling that Jordan is just one of these people.

It doesnt make Stu's misjudgement in this climate correct. But nor is mass protesting at a time everyone is being told to stay safe and not is attacking police officers.

Read the mood and deliver the message. Stu didn't do it. Jordan is clearly an arrogant 'fever' participant. Neither is right and rewarding Jordan with a show of some description to me isn't the solution, nor would I deem him the right credible person on our Island to help deliver the correct messaging to drive forward equality either.

Jordan doesn't come across as arrogant to me, more frustrated. But I don't disagree with the rest of your post, it's just a shame we had to do the adversarial dance for several pages to get to this point.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

The bits of protests that turn violent or destructive are regrettable and a great shame, you won't get any argument from me on that. But they don't do anything to turn me away from the underlying cause and movement.

Clearly what happened to the guy in the US is awful.

But Stu had to deal with cretins on his show last night.  Talking about racism active on the island and employers binning off CV's based on names and origins.   I mean, seriously?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

The one called Jordan. I would be interested to know if he actually lives in the IOM as I heard a suggestion that he doesn’t. I ask as it’s a shit late night IOM radio show and if I wanted to cause a stir for a “cause” it’s exactly what I would probably do. Seek out some third rate backwater radio show where the presenter is an Alan Partridge clone and then crank it up with a few mates. Also there seem to be various recordings circulating that aren’t from Manx Radio so why would people record such a third rate Wednesday local radio show If they weren’t trying to use the content as a stunt? It looked like it was circulating on Twitter within minutes from what I can see. Then detailed written content decrying it all was available on Facebook by the following morning. 

As one caller told Stu Peters: he was ambushed. 

• Like 2

Stu's point (I believe) was: if you're having a BLM protest on the Isle of Man, what is your demand?

If you can't pose that question without being branded a racist and being suspended from your job then tolerance is dead.

What will the demands be? Anyone know?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Clearly what happened to the guy in the US is awful.

But Stu had to deal with cretins on his show last night.  Talking about racism active on the island and employers binning off CV's based on names and origins.   I mean, seriously?

But there is racism on the island, and people with "ethnic" (for want of a better word) names are underselected for interview. I'm not sure what your complaint is?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Seems that's a one way street.

So we can assume this joke he made about someone overweight is publicly acceptable too?

Its a two way street this respect thing you know? From what I've read online, he's a violent drug user and somewhat unsavoury 'B4DA$$'.

20200604_192043.jpg

He seems a perfectly reasonable bloke to me. Do as I say, not as I do!

Just now, HeliX said:

But there is racism on the island, and people with "ethnic" (for want of a better word) names are underselected for interview. I'm not sure what your complaint is?

Do you have any proof of this?

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Do you have any proof of this?

I'm going to presume you're talking about the second half, because there's plenty of proof that there's racism on the island. But that's unsurprising, there's racism everywhere.

Nobody has collected statistics on the influence of your name on interview selection on the Island specifically. But they have in plenty of other places, and the results always come back pretty similar. I love the island very much, but alas it's not magically different.

https://fullfact.org/economy/job-applicants-ethnic-minority-sounding-names-are-less-likely-be-called-interview/

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

That is fucking BS.

There is absolutely zero evidence of that.  The island is pretty diverse really and aside of a very very tiny minority racism isn't an issue here.

Employers want to employ the right people for the job.  Can you give me examples of this  discrimination in recruitment?

• Like 1

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That is fucking BS.

There is absolutely zero evidence of that.  The island is pretty diverse really and aside of a very very tiny minority racism isn't an issue here.

Employers want to employ the right people for the job.  Can you give me examples of this  discrimination in recruitment?

Without wanting to sound patronising, have you ever been somewhere other than the IOM? Calling the Island "pretty diverse" is bonkers.

• Like 2

Many years ago when that hotel school was running in Port Erin and I was young (oh what days!) I did a stint working in McDonalds, which at the time was majority staffed by the students. They were mostly from India, Bhutan, Nepal and were all absolutely lovely. One of them gave me a yak hair hat. The amount of racism on display in there was unbelievable, from the customers to the staff, i had no idea such a thing went on here. As soon as I turned 18 I worked in the Manxie, and then I understood a bit more. Loads of it. Anyone racist is a cunt, and so are apologists for racists.

• Like 4