Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I mean - to be fair - we have such substantial numbers of Phillipinos and Chinese staff here and employed in large numbers. I'm not entirely convinced by the name on CV argument when - pre COVID at least - the competitive job market for talent was very strong to seek the best at what they do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

But there is racism on the island, and people with "ethnic" (for want of a better word) names are underselected for interview. I'm not sure what your complaint is?

I think that's true everywhere, the only answer would be that potential employers would have to submit a reason for not employing an ethnic person to some watchdog. That then makes the case for positive discrimination, with all of the negative consequences which that entails. It's a very difficult subject with many pitfalls and unforeseen problems. We are a long long way from solving these issues, sacking people who are not overtly racist for minor comments doesn't bring the day closer, it drives it further away!   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I mean - to be fair - we have such substantial numbers of Phillipinos and Chinese staff here and employed in large numbers. I'm not entirely convinced by the name on CV argument when - pre COVID at least - the competitive job market for talent was very strong to seek the best at what they do.

It won't appease PK, but I would wager the majority of people know someone who is in a hiring or interviewing position in a local company who also has racist views. It's not much of a leap to suggest they would apply their racist views to their job.

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I think that's true everywhere, the only answer would be that potential employers would have to submit a reason for not employing an ethnic person to some watchdog. That then makes the case for positive discrimination, with all of the negative consequences which that entails. It's a very difficult subject with many pitfalls and unforeseen problems. We are a long long way from solving these issues, sacking people who are not overtly racist for minor comments doesn't bring the day closer, it drives it further away!   

It's a hard one to solve, and I don't profess to know the answer. Fake/generic names on CVs would be my suggestion.

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Without wanting to sound patronising, have you ever been somewhere other than the IOM? Calling the Island "pretty diverse" is bonkers.

I have and do travel quite extensively compared to the average person would say.   The island had a pretty diverse mix of people, not sure that is even debatable really?

I've been responsible for recruiting staff a number of times for different employers.  I can honestly say I have never came across a situation where I or the people working on it with me looked at a CV and said " straight in the bin with that one , just look at the surname and origin ".

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The only ones i can think of around Stu's age are Trevor Nelson and Don Letts, but that's national radio and I'm sure there will be many more on smaller regional stations.

Dotun Adebayo does a phone in show in the middle of the night on 5 live. Now Danny Baker's gone he's their best broadcaster.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, HeliX said:

It's a hard one to solve, and I don't profess to know the answer. Fake/generic names on CVs would be my suggestion.

Ill be honest, anonymised applications to companies of scale are quite common. They get filtered by HR people to the person responsible for hiring anonymous. No gender. No names. No ages. Any reasonable employer has discrimination policies covering this to resolve the matter of racism and men/women opportunities.

I'm not convinced its that rife in IOM businesses. But expect there are a minority that will apply their skewed views, particularly in smaller businesses.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I have and do travel quite extensively compared to the average person would say.   The island had a pretty diverse mix of people, not sure that is even debatable really?

I've been responsible for recruiting staff a number of times for different employers.  I can honestly say I have never came across a situation where I or the people working on it with me looked at a CV and said " straight in the bin with that one , just look at the surname and origin ".

It depends, if your definition of diverse is "people from the greatest number of foreign countries" then yes we're quite diverse. If it's "percentage of the population that's from foreign countries" we're very much not diverse.