Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

It won't appease PK, but I would wager the majority of people know someone who is in a hiring or interviewing position in a local company who also has racist views. It's not much of a leap to suggest they would apply their racist views to their job.

I asked for proof of racism on the island.

You haven't supplied any.

Neither did the folks who kippered Stu Peters.

With all the facts and figures they were spouting it was clear to me they were all scripted. 

I think this shows MR management in a very poor light. It seemed to me that if you don't publicly support their objections to what happened in basket-case America then you must be a racist is a complete and utter nonsense.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I asked for proof of racism on the island.

You haven't supplied any.

Neither did the folks who kippered Stu Peters.

With all the facts and figures they were spouting it was clear to me they were all scripted. 

I think this shows MR management in a very poor light. It seemed to me that if you don't publicly support their objections to what happened in basket-case America then you must be a racist is a complete and utter nonsense.....

Is Rog from the island? :)

If you're that desperate for proof of racism on the island I can go spend half an hour on facebook finding people posting racist stuff, but surely you don't believe that doesn't exist? Save us both the time.

I’ve downloaded the entire 3 hour .mp3 of the show. If I get time tomorrow I’ll cut all the music and adverts out so you can listen to it.

Stu said nothing wrong and was basically attacked from the start by some precious flowers after they didn’t like the factual stats he posted on here yesterday. It escalated from there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Terminal said:

I’ve downloaded the entire 3 hour .mp3 of the show. If I get time tomorrow I’ll cut all the music and adverts out so you can listen to it.

Stu said nothing wrong and was basically attacked from the start by some precious flowers after they didn’t like the factual stats he posted on here yesterday. It escalated from there.

Attacked? Pull the other one. He hosts a phone-in radio show and people phoned in.

Nobody has a problem with the stats. The problem is him using them in a context of trying to discredit BLM.

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Is Rog from the island? :)

If you're that desperate for proof of racism on the island I can go spend half an hour on facebook finding people posting racist stuff, but surely you don't believe that doesn't exist? Save us both the time.

FB isn't proof.

Real recorded incidents please.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

FB isn't proof.

Real recorded incidents please.

Thanks

You won't accept people being racist as proof of racism? Racism is pretty underreported in terms of actually going to the police.

If you're after figures and news:
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/results-of-racism-research-released/

http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/35041/-racist-students-make-us-look-like-a-backwater-

https://www.theregister.com/2009/05/01/isle_of_man_rumpus/

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Attacked? Pull the other one. He hosts a phone-in radio show and people phoned in.

Nobody has a problem with the stats. The problem is him using them in a context of trying to discredit BLM.

I didn't get the feeling he was trying to  discred BLM, just what the purpose of a demo here was.  It certainly seemed like an ambush, three confrontational callers in quick succession which were intent, not on a debate, but on discrediting the presenter.  None of the three actually engaged, just tirades.  The presenter tried to discuss back and was talked over.  It was just dreadful. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I didn't get the feeling he was trying to  discred BLM, just what the purpose of a demo here was.  It certainly seemed like an ambush, three confrontational callers in quick succession which were intent, not on a debate, but on discrediting the presenter.  None of the three actually engaged, just tirades.  The presenter tried to discuss back and was talked over.  It was just dreadful. 

I'll agree that Jordan was confrontational, but I thought the second and third callers were very well measured indeed.

2 hours ago, Chef Raekwon said:

I've listened to it.  I don't think he's racist, but I think he's naive and arrogant and ultimately part of the problem.

The dismissal of the idea that black people have it any more difficult than anyone else is just cringeworthy.  He was quite patronising to callers who were trying to explain this to him, and to say that the English are the most discriminated against on the island was just an awful take.

I would hope that the current discussion would lead to some people taking a step back and listening to what black people are saying, rather than telling them they're wrong and they should stop moaning.  

Nuff said

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

He didn't try to discuss though did he?  That's kind of the whole issue. 

He essentially told them they were being daft and that there's no issue with racism, and that black people have a victim complex.  If he'd listened and taken anything on board then fair play to him, but he absolutely wasn't.  

Also don't mistake callers who knew what they were talking about and who made valid points that he struggled to deal with in any kind of meaningful way as an "ambush".  That's ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'll agree that Jordan was confrontational, but I thought the second and third callers were very well measured indeed.

Funny, isn't it, but I thought the reverse, and probably that the first caller was the most sincere whereas the last of the three was pounding and pounding " and what do you think of ..." , "how do you think ... has changed" and so on.  We hear what we want to hear.

• Like 2