Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Funny, isn't it, but I thought the reverse, and probably that the first caller was the most sincere whereas the last of the three was pounding and pounding " and what do you think of ..." , "how do you think ... has changed" and so on.  We hear what we want to hear.

She was labouring the point somewhat, but given Stu's difficulty in understanding what the issue actually was I didn't think too much of it.

16 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You won't accept people being racist as proof of racism? Racism is pretty underreported in terms of actually going to the police.

If you're after figures and news:
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/results-of-racism-research-released/

Oh come on.: "A survey has found nearly half the people living in the Isle of Man have some sympathy for racist views."

Excuse my language please, but, you must have wet your knickers when you read that. From over a decade ago too.

But I dunno...maybe it's 75% or 90% by now?

Edited by gettafa

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Oh come on.: "A survey has found nearly half the people living in the Isle of Man have some sympathy for racist views."

Excuse my language please, but, you must have wet your knickers when you read that. From over a decade ago too.

But I dunno...maybe it's 75% or 90% by now?

It was one of the top 5 results on Google when I looked. There's a limited amount of time I'm willing to put towards proving racism exists in a country on a planet where racism exists in every country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

She was labouring the point somewhat, but given Stu's difficulty in understanding what the issue actually was I didn't think too much of it.

To be honest, I was a bit lost on the argument too, it was a tirade, not a debate. At the end of the day, he did not start the radio debate.  I would be less sympathetic if he had introduced the topic and then could not rebut, agree or debate the points made.  But, he didn't.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, HeliX said:

As only 45% of the population are Manx I wouldn’t necessarily argue with that figure. We also live on an Island where the last census records that there are 8,000 South Africans resident.

I’m sure this has been a great woke-up call though. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To be honest, I was a bit lost on the argument too, it was a tirade, not a debate. At the end of the day, he did not start the radio debate.  I would be less sympathetic if he had introduced the topic and then could not rebut, agree or debate the points made.  But, he didn't.

Yep, they were lined up for him, and with the mobie videos recording the radio.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It was one of the top 5 results on Google when I looked. There's a limited amount of time I'm willing to put towards proving racism exists in a country on a planet where racism exists in every country.

Well I think you are going to be up all night on Manx Forums eradicating racism on the Isle of Man.

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Yes, I got that feeling too.  However,  the fact that gat MR has invited the first caller to a debate is a good move,  PROVIDED that there is an equally sincere opposite to debate knowlegably.  As I see it, the debate should not be whether racism is good or bad,  but how best to address it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

And then sharing their apparent outrage on social media. Hundreds of comments calling for him to be sacked, when in actual fact 99% had no idea what had even happened, let alone listened to what had been said on the show.

It’s a sad world where a good radio presenter can potentially be taken out as easily as that. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Does this only contain facts? Or does it also contain opinions and a slogan that very much misses the point?

101635344_679958313673_42049950325932032

Looking at this, which was posted in a private capacity, and the fact the caller specifically mentioned it, it should be pretty obvious that he was baited into this and basically set up. 

• Like 3