Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Reading the transcript of the first call, not sure who was interrupting whom.

Feel sorry for Stu, but sometimes he pushes his troglodyte radio persona to much to the fore. It’s often to stir debate. He’s nothing like as old fashioned in person.

• Like 6

Good post Albert. I would turn this around a little - 

And if you ring a talk show at 11pm in the evening, don't necessarily expect an intellectual debate if you have an agenda.”

and ask those complaining about Stu being trapped by saying that don’t host a late night phone in show if you can’t handle a range of opinions. 

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Reading the transcript of the first call, not sure who was interrupting whom.

Isn’t the role of a radio phone-in host to allow callers space to express themselves? The presenter is supposed to be the one in charge, especially when the issue was emotive for the caller. Stu did do the passive aggressive thing of interrupting by complaining about being interrupted. It’s a bit like conference calls at work the successful host remains in control but ensures the speaker is allowed to make their point. 

If that’s the root cause of this issue, that’s something that’s fixable with line manager’s support. 

@P.K. Providing facts and figures on discriminatory employment practices is difficult for a number of reasons;

1.  Some job applicants may never follow up on why they have been rejected for a job;

2.  Many employers have stopped providing reasons for rejecting applicants (see the number of people who complain about never hearing back from organisations);

3.  Those who do take a claim may have the case settled privately outside the Employment Tribunals and subject to a non-disclosure clause because the organisation does not want the bad press;

4.  Claims can be thrown out for a number of technical reasons before reaching the Employment Tribunals, for example, being out of time with the claim;

A simple measure is to consider whether an organisation is representative of the community in which it operates and whether that is also reflected in the more senior (or technical roles).  Most organisations on the Isle of Man will be majority white because that is the population make-up of the Island but if you took a similar look at organisations in the UK or the USA then you would start to see that they do not represent the communities in which they operate.

I will add that it also works the other way around at times.  I know of at least one small family owned business which avoided hiring "white people" because they did not fit with the ethnicity of the family who ran the business. 

You could try an experiment yourself along these lines;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38751307 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/17/jobs-search-hiring-racial-discrimination-resume-whitening-callbacks

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

You won't accept people being racist as proof of racism? Racism is pretty underreported in terms of actually going to the police.

If you're after figures and news:
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/results-of-racism-research-released/

http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/35041/-racist-students-make-us-look-like-a-backwater-

https://www.theregister.com/2009/05/01/isle_of_man_rumpus/

I asked you for proof of racism where someone was discriminated against and you still have failed to provide any.

Just surveys etc are not people being discriminated against. 

Folks being unhappy about an influx of Johnny Foreigner is not the same as folks treating them differently due to race, colour, creed etc. 

Bit disappointed this failed to make the airways last night, so here it is:

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I asked you for proof of racism where someone was discriminated against and you still have failed to provide any.

Just surveys etc are not people being discriminated against. 

Folks being unhappy about an influx of Johnny Foreigner is not the same as folks treating them differently due to race, colour, creed etc. 

Bit disappointed this failed to make the airways last night, so here it is:

I much prefer Boers to bores.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@P.K. Providing facts and figures on discriminatory employment practices is difficult for a number of reasons;

2.  Many employers have stopped providing reasons for rejecting applicants (see the number of people who complain about never hearing back from organisations);

Also you'd have to be incredibly thick to reveal your underlying bigotry in an explanatory note?

It always boggled my mind with that lesbian couple who were refused a rental property years ago, surely the bigot who owned the house could have just lied about the reasons for non renewal of lease and nobody would be able to prove otherwise. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Providing facts and figures on discriminatory employment practices A simple measure is to consider whether an organisation is representative of the community in which it operates and whether that is also reflected in the more senior (or technical roles).  Most organisations on the Isle of Man will be majority white because that is the population make-up of the Island but if you took a similar look at organisations in the UK or the USA then you would start to see that they do not represent the communities in which they operate.

@manxman1980

I'm not claiming there's no such thing as racism. Because that would be daft. I'm simply questioning the motivation of the team that kippered Stu and why?

To take your point above in the other thread "the police force are institutionally racist" got a mention and is a good example.

There are constant claims that the UK police force are "institutionally racist" , especially London's Met, and folks are often in the more lurid papers where they have been paid compo and so forth.

Now the police force have a deliberately broad-based recruiting strategy. Which means that as an institution they reflect UK society at large.

Therefore if the police force are "institutionally racist" then so is UK society.

QED

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Feel sorry for Stu, but sometimes he pushes his troglodyte radio persona to much to the fore. It’s often to stir debate. He’s nothing like as old fashioned in person.

Have to agree.

Get's his round in too!

:)

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@manxman1980

I'm not claiming there's no such thing as racism. Because that would be daft. I'm simply questioning the motivation of the team that kippered Stu and why?

To take your point above in the other thread "the police force are institutionally racist" got a mention and is a good example.

There are constant claims that the UK police force are "institutionally racist" , especially London's Met, and folks are often in the more lurid papers where they have been paid compo and so forth.

Now the police force have a deliberately broad-based recruiting strategy. Which means that as an institution they reflect UK society at large.

Therefore if the police force are "institutionally racist" then so is UK society.

UK society is "institutionally racist" and this is where "white privilege" comes in.  We think because we have made racism unlawful that this has solved the problem, we focus on the challenges that we face with accessing opportunities and don't consider that they are different for people from other ethnic groups.  

The reality is that we live in a society which talks about equality but in which equity is missing.

• Like 1