Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's not called slavery anymore - it's called National Minimum Wage. And it doesn't care what colour or race you are - so there's progress for you!

Where do zero hours thingies fit in on that scale too?

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I can't think of a better example of the very definition of racism than that.

But "Albert" it's an axiomatic! It couldn't BE more self evident!

2 hours ago, snowman said:

This debate reminds me of those from years back when "shock jocks" and late night phone-ins were all the rage.... Alan Beswick, Scottie Mc Clue, James Whale.

Like everything else with Manx Radio it's so yesteryear

And the problem is that Stu is trying to do it against a back drop of things having moved on nearly 30 years since the "shock jock" genre became popular. 30 years in which society in general has become far less tolerant of views that don't follow the mainstream narrative, and at a time where we have legions of privileged yet outraged people eager to jump on any passing bandwagon to illustrate to the world how woke they are. I understand that some people have suffered and others feel a genuine drive to do something about it, but there are an awful lot of the other sort.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

As for the landlord and the lesbians, he must have been a principled bigot who couldn't bring himself to lie. Or an idiot.

or both

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

If someone turned down my application for a job, the last thing I would want to do would be to engage in a forensic enquiry as to the whys and wherefores of the knock back. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction, and I can't think of a more pointless endeavour. My overriding emotion would be: "Your loss!" I've employed people of varying ethnicity. In ALL cases it's based only on judgment concerning who will be best fit for the job. That isn't always necessarily the best qualified or the most intelligent. Many factors are taken into account, but not their ethnicity. I'm convinced that this is the case with the overwhelming majority of employers. Aside from any racial considerations, surely it is only self-interest to employ the right person for every position.

As for the landlord and the lesbians, he must have been a principled bigot who couldn't bring himself to lie. Or an idiot.

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
Duplicate

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

If someone turned down my application for a job, the last thing I would want to do would be to engage in a forensic enquiry as to the whys and wherefores of the knock back. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction, and I can't think of a more pointless endeavour. My overriding emotion would be: "Your loss!" I've employed people of varying ethnicity. In ALL cases it's based only on judgment concerning who will be best fit for the job. That isn't always necessarily the best qualified or the most intelligent. Many factors are taken into account, but not their ethnicity. I'm convinced that this is the case with the overwhelming majority of employers. Aside from any racial considerations, surely it is only self-interest to employ the right person for every position.

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
Duplicate

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think the over riding issue there is about choice.

If I owned rental property I'm going to rent it to who I want to.  It's like it with recruiting these days.

"Why didnt I get the job, is it because I'm gay/straight/bi/foreign/asian etc etc "

Well no actually.   You just weren't the most suitable option.  Move on.

A colleague and I interviewed for a position on my team recently.  We had six in for interviews.  Narrowed it down to two.  We could easily have employed either.  On paper the successful applicant was probably "weaker" but in reality we felt that overall what they would being to the table fitted in better.  

There is far too much of this " you must do this or that".  Or "you can't do x or y".

In the case of that landlord it's his flat so he should decide.  His failing is just being honest.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Yes. But if Stu Peter's were found to be racist and sacked over this, rather than perhaps offered the chance to apologise for any perceived offence - I can't help thinking that the cause these guys support might well be put back 10 years on this island - overnight.

A perceived small decisive victory over a popular but occasionally inarticulate local DJ will likely be more divisive than solve anything.

Well I've bought my last Manx milk and cheese for a start!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Eh?

Who doesn't know about the UK's contribution to shipping slaves from Africa to the Americas?

I'm not going to bother trying to explain the rest.

You don't need to and I'm not asking you to, PK. All I'm saying is that the UK played as much a part in slavery as the US or anywhere else...from the Romans onwards through the centuries.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Progress of a sort I suppose....

The Black and White Minstrel Show.

The-Black-and-White-Minstrel-Show.thumb.jpg.b8fee7d16e024f3c1f82399d7f654086.jpg

A very successful BBC light entertainment show that ran from 1958 to 1978.

That's less than 50 years ago.

When caring for an elderly rellie in a care home casual racism was rife from the inmates. Because they are of the generations for which there was absolutely nothing wrong with a show like The Minstrels. These folks are dying out and taking their racism with them.

Of course, a massive difference between the UK and the USA is that as a nation we are nothing like as scarred by the evil that is slavery

Hang on. I remember the Mitchell Minstrels as a kid. Very popular they were too. My mum and dad didn't sit their laughing and taking the piss out of the "darkies". I can understand younger, uninformed people thinking that was what it was about, but it absolutely wasn't. They merely enjoyed the performances of a talented group of people.

You can say that it was because of an ignorance of the history which is the whole problem, and you may have a point, but racial hatred in the sense it is understood relating to BLM, it absolutely was not. Your assertion that these folks are dying out and taking their racism with them is grossly offensive to that generation. Racism will always be around.

• Like 2