Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

45 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I've asked for feedback from most of my non-successful job applications (well, those that got to interview anyway) and always found it very useful.

Not being funny, and I don't doubt your ability, but maybe they dodged a bullet there.

You must be fun in the pub after work (Don't get me wrong, I'd be there as ever to the last orders bell and beyond on a Friday night but some people only have a certain appetite for a pub conversation...discussion...debate....argument etc)

Edited by gettafa

8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Not being funny, and I don't doubt your ability, but maybe they dodged a bullet there.

You must be fun in the pub after work (Don't get me wrong, I'd be there as ever to the last orders bell and beyond on a Friday night but some people only have a certain appetite for a pub conversation...discussion...debate....argument etc)

If you want to go on a date with me just grow a pair and ask.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, woolley said:

Hang on. I remember the Mitchell Minstrels as a kid. Very popular they were too. My mum and dad didn't sit their laughing and taking the piss out of the "darkies". I can understand younger, uninformed people thinking that was what it was about, but it absolutely wasn't. They merely enjoyed the performances of a talented group of people.

You can say that it was because of an ignorance of the history which is the whole problem, and you may have a point, but racial hatred in the sense it is understood relating to BLM, it absolutely was not. Your assertion that these folks are dying out and taking their racism with them is grossly offensive to that generation. Racism will always be around.

I hope so. Sometimes it was laughable. Other times it was not. When someone watching TV pipes up " Why have we got to have black newsreaders? " and an animated discussion follows you know they actually mean it.

That's a difference you're deliberately pretending not to understand...

And yes, racism will be around for as long as ignorance....

8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Thanks, but actually I lied. I would probably make my excuses and go early in time to catch a documentary in BBC3 I was waiting to watch

You can watch BBC3 anytime. It only streams. Not big on documentaries though.

36 minutes ago, woolley said:

Hang on. I remember the Mitchell Minstrels as a kid. Very popular they were too. My mum and dad didn't sit their laughing and taking the piss out of the "darkies". I can understand younger, uninformed people thinking that was what it was about, but it absolutely wasn't. They merely enjoyed the performances of a talented group of people.

You can say that it was because of an ignorance of the history which is the whole problem, and you may have a point, but racial hatred in the sense it is understood relating to BLM, it absolutely was not. Your assertion that these folks are dying out and taking their racism with them is grossly offensive to that generation. Racism will always be around.

Unfortunately it will in some form or another. I have been surprised at the level of racism in some young people I know. They have black and Asian friends but still have a strange outlook. 

One, a 13 year old and not unintelligent by any means and very well educated, was discussing with me the overpopulation of the planet and ways to cut pollution and greenhouse gasses, suggested that African families could be given £200 for each newborn baby, because that's a lot of money to them. The babies are trained by NASA to survive in a hostile climate and sent to Mars to set up a colony there and terraform the place. Then more of the races which have the highest birth rates could colonise the place!

This kid grew up with an African family living next door and played with their kids regularly, his best friend is Asian, he goes to school with kids of many races . He, to all intents and purposes would never consider himself a racist but for some reason, there's an undercurrent there and it's not from his parents either? 

I sometimes wonder if racism simply goes back to a basic instinct to keep to your own 'tribe? '

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:
racism
/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/

noun
noun: racism
  1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
    "a programme to combat racism"
    • the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
      "theories of racism"

That's not racist - that's painfully obvious!

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately it will in some form or another. I have been surprised at the level of racism in some young people I know. They have black and Asian friends but still have a strange outlook. 

One, a 13 year old and not unintelligent by any means and very well educated, was discussing with me the overpopulation of the planet and ways to cut pollution and greenhouse gasses, suggested that African families could be given £200 for each newborn baby, because that's a lot of money to them. The babies are trained by NASA to survive in a hostile climate and sent to Mars to set up a colony there and terraform the place. Then more of the races which have the highest birth rates could colonise the place!

This kid grew up with an African family living next door and played with their kids regularly, his best friend is Asian, he goes to school with kids of many races . He, to all intents and purposes would never consider himself a racist but for some reason, there's an undercurrent there and it's not from his parents either? 

I sometimes wonder if racism simply goes back to a basic instinct to keep to your own 'tribe? '

It certainly should and that's how I interpret it.  Not better, not worse, just different.

And to me racism is failing to give equal treatment, support, and opportunity irrespective of "tribe".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NoTail said:

I did not hear what Stu said, not really sure I care. I do think he should be able to say what he likes though..

In this day and age, you can't. Somebody will come along and accuse you of being racist/homophobic/bigot. Nobody likes the truth anymore

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

In this day and age, you can't. Somebody will come along and accuse you of being racist/homophobic/bigot. Nobody likes the truth anymore

Nobody has ever called me any of those things, and I say what I want all the time. Maybe it's the things you're saying?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Why don't you give us an example of something that someone might say that would lead to one of those accusations?

Otherwise this is yet more meaningless strawman tripe.

• Like 2