Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

The subvention should be ringfenced to provide the public service content (manx language, current affairs, special interest programmes) which should be properly costed and similarly ringfenced from other output. Until the day when we can get the Beeb to cough up and fund the station from the licence fee which provides poor value to the Island. When are we going to have that conversation?

The Manx Government also gave all of the Isle of Man’s BBC licence fee rebate from digital switchover to Manx Radio

it already does....

Sorry. But I think Dilligaf is very wrong here.

I am a bloke in his early forties. I have money to spend in local businesses as do my friends, colleagues etc.

If they listen to local radio it is 3FM.

The only exception out of the people I see on a regular basis is my mum who listens to Manx Radio who is nearly 80.

This latest venture is a money wasting joke, and the fact that they get any money from government is a piss take.

Like why would a bloke in his 40s listen to 3FM ?

Discerning folk would be listening to Manx Radio. Let the Teeny Boppers listen to the others.

The advertisers know where the majority of people listen, which is

why MR get the £££££. job done.

Well even if there were still teeny boppers they wouldn't be listening to 3FM. When it started it was supposed to be for "older listeners" to complement the youth offering of 3FM. However, when it got on air, much to the chagrin of Juan Turner, it was doing pretty much 80s, 90s and now, with the odd "classic" 70s track thrown in, so it was unashamedly going for the mainstream market with poor old Juan sticking to his narrowly aimed "dance" music format. After a while, seeing 3 doing this and getting away with it, Energy went much the same way so they finished up both doing a similar thing with 3 skewed ever so slightly to the older end and Energy skewed ever so slightly to the younger market. Not much to choose though. If you like a broad sweep of music from the 80s onwards 3FM is fine. Remember, that is now a bloody long time so it will cover people up to their 50s. Definitely not a yoof thing. Manx Radio's problem that it needs to address is that its audience is literally dying. They do well to sell the advertising they do. Bloody well in the circumstances. I think a lot of it is inertia on the part of advertisers who really don't know how much it is or is not benefiting them.

• Like 1

A client told me their experience of Manx radio advertising was that it worked for the first two weeks then despite continuing to pay for several months was a waste. Its a good place to make an announcement so much better getting a news angle for your business than paying for adverts.

• Like 1

Discerning folk would be listening to Manx Radio. Let the Teeny Boppers listen to the others.

The advertisers know where the majority of people listen.

The advertisers know that outside of a decrepit pensioners and taxi drivers no one really listens to MR outside news, weather and obituaries. That is why MR struggle to sell advertising and keep coming up with shit ideas. If the station was as popular as you make out then why are they doing this?
Correct.

If I was selling stair lifts I might pay to advertise on MR.

Anything for people under 60 - total waste of money

Yep stair lifts, Tena Lady, Preparation H, and rover tickets for the MER & horse trams.

Outside of that nobody in their right mind would advertise to the elderly and decrepit audience of Manx Radio. It does, however, have a good line in adverts telling people how great just about every department of government is at something.

But you have to hand it to the sales force. They do very well indeed selling what they do.

@ j2bad: It depends on what you are selling. I think a couple of weeks is harsh. You need more than a couple of weeks to even get people to realise you're on. I think the optimum for an ongoing business is maybe about 4 to 6 months. Then come back say 6 months later and do a few more months, but always refresh your message. Some of those same old crappy ads have been on there for years. They're just a total turn off.

Having said that, though.............

They do need to address the fundamental problem of an aged and dying audience. I'd bet quite a percentage of the audience is actually housebound. Nothing against those people of course, but it ain't the panacea for an advertiser unless he's an undertaker. I'd have a lot more youngsters involved in the actual output and I'd feature far more local talent in all genres of music and a younger angle on the local interest and current affairs output. There is absolutely no need for middle aged or old blokes to be on there playing 70s and 80s pop music and reminiscing about days gone by. Well, not all the time, at least.

If I was the MD or in control as a project, I'd get the BBC to fund it through the licence fee and get rid of commercials altogether. I really do not think that this would be a difficult objective to achieve. I'd be aiming at a similar budget to that now, so disbanding the sales effort would allow a bit more for programming - and incidentally boost the commercial stations who could probably employ the bast of the salespeople. It would sound totally different to anything else on the air. Smashie and Nicey would be gone. It would sound young, Manx and unlike every classic station in the UK. OK it's a risk, but doing nothing is also a risk. Coffins don't have earphones.

bbc already do....

They don't fully fund it otherwise we wouldn't have ads. They pay towards the facilities they use there and there was the one-off payment they made to government a few years ago that went to MR, but they do not fund MR in its entirety. They could and I believe they would.

bbc already do....

They don't fully fund it otherwise we wouldn't have ads. They pay towards the facilities they use there and there was the one-off payment they made to government a few years ago that went to MR, but they do not fund MR in its entirety. They could and I believe they would.

no they pay a yearly fee which goes to mr,

don't forget the cost of tv services to the rock has to be paid for...

Sorry. But I think Dilligaf is very wrong here.

I am a bloke in his early forties. I have money to spend in local businesses as do my friends, colleagues etc.

If they listen to local radio it is 3FM.

The only exception out of the people I see on a regular basis is my mum who listens to Manx Radio who is nearly 80.

This latest venture is a money wasting joke, and the fact that they get any money from government is a piss take.

Like why would a bloke in his 40s listen to 3FM ?

The advertisers know where the majority of people listen, which is

why MR get the £££££. job done.

You might have a point about Energy's listeners, but I think you'll find that 3FM has a pretty wide reach. It's not my cup of tea, but it provides a 'service' at no cost the taxpayer and, as others have mentioned, will in fact pay tax into the coffers.

Actually, that's rubbish IMO. It takes potential advertising revenues away from MR and thus overall increases our tax payer subvention to MR. We are in actual fact subsidising all 3 stations.
  • Like 3

bbc already do....

no they pay a yearly fee which goes to mr,

don't forget the cost of tv services to the rock has to be paid for...

As it does to everywhere else. There are loads of areas of the UK where the topography is difficult for broadcasting. I am comparing us with the CIs which have local TV coverage and a radio station each from the BBC. We have a snotty, lethargically updated webpage. It really isn't good enough. What is this yearly fee that you speak of, beyond payment for facilities at Broadcasting House? How much are you saying the BBC contribute yearly to MR? I've never heard of it apart from that one off.