Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

What about the speed in which the Jordan fella was offered a job? Is that usual

Are you suggesting someone with hiring capacity at Manx Radio was "in on it"? The speed of him being offered a job looked like an attempt to save face by MR to me.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

I said there was no malice in the person telling Jordan to set his Twitter private - you've conflated some points there.

I don't believe they were attempting to set him up to lose his job. I also think if speaking your own views would lose you your job maybe your views aren't that nice.

I am absolutely all for debate, but I don't feel any was had. Stu told people his opinion as fact. Debate involves asking questions and presenting opinions.

I don't know whether he should lose his job, truth be told. But I don't think he was stitched up here.

I have listened several times to that show and he was polite and measured.  Have we had a similar tragic, vile incident as the George Floyd event here?  No, but we are quite happy to despatch someone who only tried to respond to callers and give another view, which was not that George Floyd or racism didn't matter. Shocking and sad.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have listened several times to that show and he was polite and measured.  Have we had a similar tragic, vile incident as the George Floyd event here?  No, but we are quite happy to despatch someone who only tried to respond to callers and give another view, which was not that George Floyd or racism didn't matter. Shocking and sad.  

I suspect we're not likely to agree, but what I heard was a man laughing at his caller's stories, repeating fairly irrelevant statistics as a way to discredit the BLM movement, refusing to take on board anything his caller's said and making absurd proclamations about privilege.

Like I said, I don't know if he should lose his job for it. But it was painful to listen to.

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And of course there is fuck all reason to be protesting here.   I suppose people literally have nothing better to do than jump on the next passing bandwagon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

Yeah. It's outrageous ringing a phone-in show and being articulate and prepared, poor Stu didn't stand a chance.

Why should he be prepared for a topic  that he didn't  start? Being articulate is not just giving a tirade of questions.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

What about the speed in which the Jordan fella was offered a job? Is that usual

It sort of defeats some of his points on white prejudice when you see how quickly a coloured man was actually offered a job that nobody at a white radio station had even advertised! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I suspect we're not likely to agree, but what I heard was a man laughing at his caller's stories, repeating fairly irrelevant statistics as a way to discredit the BLM movement, refusing to take on board anything his caller's said and making absurd proclamations about privilege.

Like I said, I don't know if he should lose his job for it. But it was painful to listen to.

His laughing was at the continual interruption  and not allowing him to speak. It was not a debate. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It sort of defeats some of his points on white prejudice when you see how quickly a coloured man was actually offered a job that nobody at a white radio station had even advertised! 

Coloured?

16 minutes ago, HeliX said:

We've disagreed on this before and I doubt we'll agree on it, but as someone who is on the internet most of ever day (it's my job, I'm not just a child) there was nothing particularly suspect about the speed or content of the response.

There was though HeliX, the three callers were lined up one after another with a very similar aggressive manner before Stu actually said anything, not prepared to put up with Stu's explanations or reasoning, no matter how he tried to speak. They all quoted what he had written on here, it's obvious that one of them had read it and got the others to weigh in.  He wasn't laughing at their opinions, it was a nervous chuckle to try and lighten the mood in my opinion, I have done that myself when things get a bit sticky, I'm not saying it's a good thing.

• Like 2