Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Simple answer is to negotiate with BBC and hand over MR to BBC so it becomes a BBC local Radio Station, funded from the licences we all pay for. No other tax payer subvention.

BBC do local journalism, news and even language programmes in Wales and Scotland.

Public Service remit discharged.

Then Energy and 3FM could be as commercial as they like.

• Like 1

Hand it over to the BBC?

Mr Wright you are just so wrong!

Make 'em pay for it by all means

But don't let them have any editorial control

(New regs coming out in UK soon where other stations are permitted access to licence fee funds)

• Like 1

[The BBC] don't fully fund it otherwise we wouldn't have ads. They pay towards the facilities they use there and there was the one-off payment they made to government a few years ago that went to MR, but they do not fund MR in its entirety. They could and I believe they would.

I think that's unduly optimistic. It's unlikely the BBC would take over the running of Manx Radio and they certainly won't pay for something they can't control - why should they?. It's true that they fund radio and TV in the Channel Islands, but that dates back to a time when the BBC was both better-funded and more self-confident. It was also much less London-centric (though, ironically, it is still less so than most of its media critics).

I suspect the BBC already spend more per head on the Island than elsewhere in the UK - they may not spend much[1], but we have such a small population that even low spending mounts up. The CI got special treatment, which we didn't need as we already had Manx Radio when they set the local radio network up, but there's no reason why we should get the same now.

[1] From memory they pay Manx Radio a rental for the use of their facilities for the BBC journalists who are based on the Island, though I'm not sure how much as the MR accounts are typically obscure.

Sorry. But I think Dilligaf is very wrong here.

I am a bloke in his early forties. I have money to spend in local businesses as do my friends, colleagues etc.

If they listen to local radio it is 3FM.

The only exception out of the people I see on a regular basis is my mum who listens to Manx Radio who is nearly 80.

This latest venture is a money wasting joke, and the fact that they get any money from government is a piss take.

Like why would a bloke in his 40s listen to 3FM ?

Discerning folk would be listening to Manx Radio. Let the Teeny Boppers listen to the others.

The advertisers know where the majority of people listen, which is

why MR get the £££££. job done.

You might have a point about Energy's listeners, but I think you'll find that 3FM has a pretty wide reach. It's not my cup of tea, but it provides a 'service' at no cost the taxpayer and, as others have mentioned, will in fact pay tax into the coffers.

Actually, that's rubbish IMO. It takes potential advertising revenues away from MR and thus overall increases our tax payer subvention to MR. We are in actual fact subsidising all 3 stations.

You speak as if Manx Radio should have a monopoly on advertising space on the Isle of Man. And because of that, your opinion is ill-informed. Manx Radio is being battered from all angles for advertising, 3FM and Energy are the least of their problems. I can directly target an advert for my 'toilet seats' at someone at the very moment they search for 'toilet seats' online or discuss it via social media. Why would I need to run a 6 month campaign with a catchy jingle, singing the virtues of my toilet seats hoping to catch someone who might be interested?

In my opinion, Manx Radio take advertising revenue away from 3FM. If they are to be given their money from IOMG then they should cut their cloth accordingly.

Edited by parchedpeas

@ Roger: We did miss a trick (we were shite actually - quelle surprise!) when the BBC were here asking us what we wanted them to do for us. I do think this could be swung though, even now. If the BBC would not do it voluntarily, it could be forced through legislation. Why should they? Because it is not their money, it belongs to the fee payer, and they are supposed to be a servant of society, not its master.

Edited by woolley

I can directly target an advert for my 'toilet seats' at someone at the very moment they search for 'toilet seats' online or discuss it via social media. Why would I need to run a 6 month campaign with a catchy jingle, singing the virtues of my toilet seats hoping to catch someone who might be interested?

We have already had the answer to this. Old people who don't go online. That's it, that is the entire market where radio advertising is useful.

As an aside I was considering the demographic of Man radio listeners and the fact that dilligaf was suggesting he was one then I saw this quote from him on another thread 😜

"Just saw this on MSN website"

So we can conclude it's either old people with no internet, or people who use the internet like they did 20 years ago

I can directly target an advert for my 'toilet seats' at someone at the very moment they search for 'toilet seats' online or discuss it via social media. Why would I need to run a 6 month campaign with a catchy jingle, singing the virtues of my toilet seats hoping to catch someone who might be interested?

We have already had the answer to this. Old people who don't go online.

Provided they still have their faculties. Not much good as listeners if they are drooling into their soup. Mind you, a few presenters over the years have been well on their way.

We have already had the answer to this. Old people who don't go online.

Provided they still have their faculties. Not much good as listeners if they are drooling into their soup. Mind you, a few presenters over the years have been well on their way.

As a rule, older people like to retain their familiar wooden toilet seat so the argument still stands ;)

Even Manx Radios core demographic are probably dependent on their carers to make purchasing decisions that only leaves fat dullards who don't already work there and Woolley.

That's why it needs to change. I sometimes think I'm probably the youngest person listening. What nonagenarians make of being force fed The Pet Shop Boys is anyone's guess. Probably think they are back in the PoW camp.

@ Roger: We did miss a trick (we were shite actually - quelle surprise!) when the BBC were here asking us what we wanted them to do for us. I do think this could be swung though, even now. If the BBC would not do it voluntarily, it could be forced through legislation. Why should they? Because it is not their money, it belongs to the fee payer, and they are supposed to be a servant of society, not its master.

To be fair, the BBC isn't only local news and local radio. People seem to think they're licence fee disappears because there isn't a local smashie and nicey.

To be fair, the BBC isn't only local news and local radio. People seem to think they're licence fee disappears because there isn't a local smashie and nicey.

No, not at all, Declan. There is certainly a deficit in what we get here for the standard fee.