Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 hours ago, HeliX said:

Wait for the person to finish, discuss any points you disagree with or want to give input on, move on?
It's not Stu's first day on the job, nor his first day talking to another person. You're making him out to be simple.

@HeliX

You're having a laugh!

As I have already pointed out, although obviously not simply enough, the first caller piled through their verbiage peppered with figures without giving Stu a chance to cut in.

Not just Stu but I would challenge anyone to remember any of that diatribe that could be used as a discussion point.

Dear me...

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

Some question the point of staging a demonstration on the IOM.

I question the point of having radio phone-ins. Especially late in the evening.

What good can they do? Same innit.

Not really, phone-ins don't breach CV regulations. 

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

What happened in the US was despicable and attitudes in the US need to change, absolutely.  But, a demo on the IOM right now is not going to make one jot of difference.  There are other ways of showing solidarity without some state supported showboating at the current time. 

I'm not so sure.

If you add all of the demonstrations about this appalling police brutality together it makes for quite a showing.

Now Trump is like a permanently petulant child. So I would fully expect this groundswell of condemnation to make him dig his heels in and push back on it no matter what - America First!

So in a way I suspect these demos will be counter productive.

Still, they'll be giving Putin and Xi Jinping a bloody good laugh...

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

So in a way I suspect these demos will be counter productive.

Personally I doubt the value of choreographed and officially sanctioned demos in general. Though I think they are harmless.

I see demos as being quite different from spontaneous or organised resistance. (Which I am certainly not advocating on the IOM btw).

Two things which look similar but which are completely different.

2 hours ago, WTF said:

how do you know what nationality someone is by their colour ?   everything to describe an individual is just that,  we don't get all this shit over eye colour or hair colour (  maybe gingers ) but mention skin colour and your automatically a racist , the police use IC codes to basically describe a persons race / skin colour and that's all ok ?    it won't be long before 'guess who'  is banned due to some racist snowflake shit.

I don't know how understood me to be saying you couldn't use black to describe someone, in a post that begins " It is ok to describe someone as black, but it's not that helpful really without other characteristics. " If that's all you know about them, just that on it's own it's a blunt tool.

9 hours ago, Declan said:

How about 1:55 when Stu acknowledges he should have challenged the caller who repeatedly used the word "coloured" but didn't like to "because he was on a bit of a roll"

Why is it a crime among the permanently offended to call a person "coloured" but perfectly fine to refer to "a person of colour"? I've even heard a black person refer to herself as "coloured". It's nonsensical. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Re-posting this because there is little discussion on how or why the police are assisting this demo.  Seeing reports of what has happened at BLM demos in the UK, I hope our local guys' faith in the locals is confirmed.  I would also appreciate an explanation of how any organised gathering of more than 30 people can be within the current law. 

Our CV status is very different to that of the UK, but if this demo is allowed to proceed with the backing of the police while we are in a declared state of emergency, you have to question why and how. Or should the state of emergency, and all the consequent regulations,  be rescinded?

The way our police have acted over the last couple of months I would not be surprised if this is not just a sting operation.

And I say that only partly in jest.

Edited by Boris Johnson

If people want to demonstrate let them they are usually badly attended and ignored by the general public and it gives the local rags something to write about but not when we are in a state of emergency and practicing social distancing this it totally out of order and will not help their cause.   It is also putting pressure on the police it is disgusting that these selfish people are doing this especially in Strand Street.

Wooley m'dear.......Don't worry Whitey, it's even harder to describe my cat. She is multi coloured by the way, maybe that's the way forward to have multi coloured make up on so that no one can describe any other human by colour.

My uncle, my cousins, my daughter in law and many of my friends all describe themselves as black and are proud of their heritage, make a joke of whitey's need to be politically correct and call me a Honky. Am I bothered? Definitely not, just say I'm not looking on the dark side like they are!

We are all humans, are good friends, relatives and very bewildered how a policeman thug killing  aprisoner can cause such racial conflict. The copper was a thug! The prisoner was a victim, concentrate on weeding out the nasties who are in authority and stop using the excuse of race!

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 7

100% of the posters on here have condemned the actions of the US Police officer.

Considerably less than 50% of the posters back the ganging up on Stu and the tactics being used.

The tactics are therefore a failure.

I cannot help but feel that Helix is part of an organised machine that, whatever the merits of its strategic argument, is actually failing in terms of tactics.

That's a long-winded way of saying that you are pissing off an awful lot of people who actually have sympathy with the root issue.

• Like 4