Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I cannot help but feel that Helix is part of an organised machine that, whatever the merits of its strategic argument, is actually failing in terms of tactics.

That's a long-winded way of saying that you are pissing off an awful lot of people who actually have sympathy with the root issue.

I'm not part of an organised anything.

Lots of people believe they have sympathy with the root issue, but then make ridiculous comments about privilege not existing, about black on black crime, about "all lives matter", about "violent protests", about "police kill white people too" etc that display that if they DO care about the root issue, they certainly don't understand it.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The post you quoted literally said "Wait until they finish and then discuss any points you like". What's the issue exactly?

Let's give Stu the benefit of the doubt and say he couldn't work out how to wait and then speak, even if that IS the case, what part of the first callers 'diatribe' forced Stu to put his foot in his mouth and make daft comments about privilege?

They weren't daft really.  He's right.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The post you quoted literally said "Wait until they finish and then discuss any points you like". What's the issue exactly?

Let's give Stu the benefit of the doubt and say he couldn't work out how to wait and then speak, even if that IS the case, what part of the first callers 'diatribe' forced Stu to put his foot in his mouth and make daft comments about privilege?

I don't think he said anything "daft" about privilege at all.

The assumption that because you're not a person of colour you will have " privileges" that a person of colour does not have is a nonsense to someone as colour blind as I am.

It also has an obverse in that when I was at New Scotland Yard an "Association Of Black Police Officers" was formed. This was not a privilege afforded white officers...

NB these are still going as Metropolitan and National.

• Like 1

I don't know if it does really exist.  Most people in the UK have the same access to education, health and welfare.  How you further yourself within that is for the individual.  Of course there are people whose background is disadvantaged, but they are not denied those three things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Has he bollocks.

Being white in the Isle of Man brings you no more or less privilege and opportunity than for any other race or origin of person.

Have a word with yourself.

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

I don't think he said anything "daft" about privilege at all.

The assumption that because you're not a person of colour you will have " privileges" that a person of colour does not have is a nonsense to someone as colour blind as I am.

It also has an obverse in that when I was at New Scotland Yard an "Association Of Black Police Officers" was formed. This was not a privilege afforded white officers...

NB these are still going as Metropolitan and National.

At the simplest level, white privilege is not having your life made more difficult solely due to your skin colour.

Do you disagree that non-white people are judged on their skin colour during their lives? Do you think white people are?

Being "colourblind" would be the best solution were we currently on even footing. Until we are I think it's actually quite important to see colour.

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I don't know if it does really exist.  Most people in the UK have the same access to education, health and welfare.  How you further yourself within that is for the individual.  Of course there are people whose background is disadvantaged, but they are not denied those three things.

But the problem is that during those things (particularly education), black people are judged or discriminated against on their skin colour where white people are not. That's the crux of white privilege.

Plenty of articles on this, but here's one https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/school-racism-black-students-exclusions-hair-kiss-teeth-a9280296.html

For the record, I just did a word count on the BBC transcript: (drum roll)

Jordan: 560

Stu: 290

I didn't include the words "Let's go to line one, I think we've got somebody else who wants to have a quick word. Hello, this is Manx Radio." or "we've got somebody else on line two. Hello, this is Late, Live and Unleashed, apparently."

Is anyone still saying that Stu just talked over Jordan? Refused to listen?