Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

11 minutes ago, HeliX said:

This is a misunderstanding of white privilege. It doesn't mean all white people have privileged and great lives.

Had your Nan been born black, her life would've been harder than it already was. That's white privilege.

You will have to tell me, how it could have been any harder for her if she had been coloured.

Edited by Holte End

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

That seems to be the approach you've taken throughout this discussion.

The callers were wrong to have read a post Stu had made on the forums. Wrong to disagree with it. Wrong to call in to a phone in show to discuss it. Wrong to be prepared. So wrong that Stu needed to consistently interrupt them, laugh at them. So wrong that he needed to challenge them in a way later callers weren't. Are their voices not allowed?

The objection to that show was not that he criticised BLM, and it's a shame that Stu's being used by Katie Hopkins and co for their agenda, it was that he wouldn't allow anti-racist points to be made. Had Manx Radio not taken action, and I hope an apology and suspension suffice, it's saying only a section of the population is welcome. Thousands of people fund Manx Radio but feel it is distant and aloof from them, failure to act would confirm that.

Anyone might think that you work for a rival news agency Declan with an illogical rant like that. It seems to be the station and the presenter that you have an issues with. Not what actually happened. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Hmm, wonder if that is why my black uncle, (who went to UK fromJamaica and fought with the RAF in second world war), ended up being helped through college, university and ended up being a top dog in ICI before having his own business as one of the leading cryo forming engineers. My black cousin ended up as a headteacher, my black daughter in law ended up as a manager in the UK civil service, my niece ended up as a ward sister after working hard through her education. They don't moan or cause civil problems, they just get on with life and do what is necessary to achieve their goals and asperations.

Obviously it would be anecodotal and none of them could be expected to speak on behalf of everyone else, but have you asked them what they feel at a personal level about the idea of "white privilege" or whether they have experienced racism?

Edited by pongo

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Hmm, wonder if that is why my black uncle, (who went to UK fromJamaica and fought with the RAF in second world war), ended up being helped through college, university and ended up being a top dog in ICI before having his own business as one of the leading cryo forming engineers. My black cousin ended up as a headteacher, my black daughter in law ended up as a manager in the UK civil service, my niece ended up as a ward sister after working hard through her education. They don't moan or cause civil problems, they just get on with life and do what is necessary to achieve their goals and asperations.

Again, white privilege isn't saying black people can't achieve success, nor that white people are guaranteed success.

White privilege is your life not being negatively affected by your skin colour. We've had a black President, clearly black people can achieve any office, including the highest office. On the other hand, we've had 44 white Presidents. And not one of them spent their term defending accusations of being born in Kenya, being a Muslim etc. Because people aren't making their lives harder based on their skin colour.

30 minutes ago, HeliX said:

At the simplest level, white privilege is not having your life made more difficult solely due to your skin colour.

Do you disagree that non-white people are judged on their skin colour during their lives? Do you think white people are?

Being "colourblind" would be the best solution were we currently on even footing. Until we are I think it's actually quite important to see colour.

I don't agree.  The vast majority of people don't judge people by whether they are white or not.  Or Manx.  Or a homosexual.

You are always going to get a small minority of people who insult other people via a specific mechanism.  

Does it indicate white privilege? No.

This reminds me a bit of the footballler Sol Campbell who used to consistently bleat on about not getting manager roles because he was black.  The actual problem was that he's a vain annoying wanker with a high opinion of himself and an attitude problem.  Nothing to do with being black.  I've interviewed dozens of people and some of them have been better candidates on paper than the people that got the job.  But the bottom line was in the interview it was clear I didn't like what I saw and knew their personalities would cause it to end badly for them.

You are talking about a tiny minority of people judging people by their skin colour.  Or perhaps if a guy comes along in a dress.  Or with his boyfriend.  It's a minority.

2 minutes ago, Holte End said:

You will have to tell me, how it could have been any harder for her if she had been coloured.

She would've been discriminated against for her colour countless times throughout her life.

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I don't agree.  The vast majority of people don't judge people by whether they are white or not.  Or Manx.  Or a homosexual.

You are always going to get a small minority of people who insult other people via a specific mechanism.  

Does it indicate white privilege? No.

This reminds me a bit of the footballler Sol Campbell who used to consistently bleat on about not getting manager roles because he was black.  The actual problem was that he's a vain annoying wanker with a high opinion of himself and an attitude problem.  Nothing to do with being black.  I've interviewed dozens of people and some of them have been better candidates on paper than the people that got the job.  But the bottom line was in the interview it was clear I didn't like what I saw and knew their personalities would cause it to end badly for them.

You are talking about a tiny minority of people judging people by their skin colour.  Or perhaps if a guy comes along in a dress.  Or with his boyfriend.  It's a minority.

We'll have to disagree on whether it's a vast majority, but I do think it's a majority of people that don't discriminate based on colour.

But it's also almost 0 people who discriminate against white people based on colour in Western countries. It's a whole lot of people who discriminate against black people based on colour.

Pongo, I am very close to them and we have often discussed the matter and come to the conclusion that certain elements of society whatever skin colour they are, are privileged.

Boris Johnson for example.

Folk born to rich or establishment families, folk who are part of a manipulative organisation, folk who have access to good medicine, maybe private.Folk who are born in an area of their country of residence that has better public service............for example.

Edited by doc.fixit

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What percentage would you say?

Hard to say, most people won't really admit to it when asked will they? The study done here a decade ago suggested that 5% of people admitted to being openly racist and 43% said they had "sympathy for racist views".

22 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"privileged" (i.e. born into a wealthy setting). 

I have inherited much of my family estate.

In your world, what should I now do in light of 'white privilege'?

(serious question by the way)

One of the main things Helix doesn't get is that use of the phrase 'white privilege'. It immediately puts everyone into either of two blanket categories. It's the old us and them rhetoric used by rabble rousers, ideologues and charlatans throughout time; Believers and non-believers; Are you with us or against us ? A political sleight of hand and form of social psychology that whips up the gullible and easily led into your camp. That's why so many people reject the label Helix. It doesn't describe people's real lived experience.  

• Like 2