Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

26 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Not being subjected to racism is a white privilege. Racism is part of the sum of white privilege, but not the whole.

Just interested in your thoughts, but if a white boy has inherited a house and that that has been in the family for generations, is that white privilege and is it naughty?

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Just interested in your thoughts, but if a white boy has inherited a house and that that has been in the family for generations, is that white privilege and is it naughty?

It's the more traditional kind of privilege. Not really white privilege though. He does benefit from white privilege, mind, but the house isn't an example of it directly.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

@HeliX

I skimmed your "recent evidence" of racism in the Isle of Man above.

Three failed to mention the island

Three were from 2009. Quite a coincidence.

The altercation at Ronaldsway was illuminating in that one driver claimed of the other that "nobody wanted him here" as he thought he had jumped the queue but according to the victim he did it because "He hates all foreigners." Draw your own conclusions...

The MLC candidate claimed she had received all sorts of racial abuse but I can find no trace of any official complaint or any further action on the matter. Which is rather strange as with online abuse there would have been a ton of evidence. None of which appears online. Odd.

The Equality Tribunal was rather interesting. But perhaps you should have read it. The Tribunal concluded:

"There was no evidence of racial intent"

Fail...

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@HeliX

I skimmed your "recent evidence" of racism in the Isle of Man above.

Three failed to mention the island

Three were from 2009. Quite a coincidence.

The altercation at Ronaldsway was illuminating in that one driver claimed of the other that "nobody wanted him here" as he thought he had jumped the queue but according to the victim he did it because "He hates all foreigners." Draw your own conclusions...

The MLC candidate claimed she had received all sorts of racial abuse but I can find no trace of any official complaint or any further action on the matter. Which is rather strange as with online abuse there would have been a ton of evidence. None of which appears online. Odd.

The Equality Tribunal was rather interesting. But perhaps you should have read it. The Tribunal concluded:

"There was no evidence of racial intent"

Fail...

I'm not sure you can dismiss three of them just because they happen to have been in the same year? The UK ones I copied from someone else's post, as I did the tribunal one.

The MLC - the Facebook threads got deleted. I know 'cause I was in them. No use to you obviously, but there's your explanation.

"Nobody wants you here" isn't something I've ever said to someone jumping a queue. You?

I did read the Tribunal by the way. Regardless of their overall finding, that document is full of casual and not so casual racism.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'm not sure you can dismiss three of them just because they happen to have been in the same year? The UK ones I copied from someone else's post, as I did the tribunal one.

The MLC - the Facebook threads got deleted. I know 'cause I was in them. No use to you obviously, but there's your explanation.

"Nobody wants you here" isn't something I've ever said to someone jumping a queue. You?

I did read the Tribunal by the way. Regardless of their overall finding, that document is full of casual and not so casual racism.

You're just repeating the fact that there are racists. But there is no systemic racism in the IOM.

I have compulsory equality training (as do 1,000s of others on the island) every year. Seriously, it is against the law to demonstrate racism (+8 other protected items) in an organisation. 

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

It's the more traditional kind of privilege. Not really white privilege though. He does benefit from white privilege, mind, but the house isn't an example of it directly.

Ok so the world is changing. Democracies tend to be run in line with the wishes of the majority. Appealing to the majority gets politicians in via majority votes,  the legislation that they pass is designed to fit with accommodating the expectations of the majority, most public opinion is still driven by the majority (consensus) view, and most of the press and other aspects of free societies still largely reflect the opinions of the majority. So what is white privilege? Perhaps maybe nothing other than a consequence of countries being open democracies where the majority seem to influence how those democracies operate. White privilege no longer applies (rightly) in Africa as the white population is not in the majority, and neither does it apply in Asia. As I said a while back the minute China takes over the world economically so-called white privilege is gone as a Chinese agenda will be what forms the majority of what we will see in society. I think you’re being far too binary looking at black and white in terms of access to privilege and not even considering that in democracies minority groups are often not represented to the same extent as majority groups as the whole way society operates in a democracy is driven by the majority consensus which will never fully factor in all relevant minority group views. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

You're just repeating the fact that there are racists. But there is no systemic racism in the IOM.

I have compulsory equality training (as do 1,000s of others on the island) every year. Seriously, it is against the law to demonstrate racism (+8 other protected items) in an organisation. 

Well that's okay then, because people and organisations never do anything against the law.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Well that's okay then, because people and organisations never do anything against the law.

You lost all credibility days ago and are just looking stupid now. So many intelligent posters have pulled you up, yet you continue like a dog with a bone. Why carry this on ?

6 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Ok so the world is changing. Democracies tend to be run in line with the wishes of the majority. Appealing to the majority gets politicians in via majority votes,  the legislation that they pass is designed to fit with accommodating the expectations of the majority, most public opinion is still driven by the majority (consensus) view, and most of the press and other aspects of free societies still largely reflect the opinions of the majority. So what is white privilege? Perhaps maybe nothing other than a consequence of countries being open democracies where the majority seem to influence how those democracies operate. White privilege no longer applies (rightly) in Africa as the white population is not in the majority, and neither does it apply in Asia. As I said a while back the minute China takes over the world economically so-called white privilege is gone as a Chinese agenda will be what forms the majority of what we will see in society. I think you’re being far too binary looking at black and white in terms of access to privilege and not even considering that in democracies minority groups are often not represented to the same extent as majority groups as the whole way society operates in a democracy is driven by the majority consensus. 

I did touch on this briefly in one of the posts about policing, but given the last 3 days and 10 pages have been spent talking with people who don't believe white privilege exists at all, I didn't think there was a lot of value in an in-depth discussion into the mechanics by which it propogates.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Murder is against the law. There are still murders.  

Stop conflating racists with systemic/institutional racism.

We all agree with you that there are racists.