Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'm not interested in a pissing contest, and I'm certainly not interested in your moving goalposts.

Of course "the goalposts are moving" and hopefully will continue to do so.

I posted a picture of "The Black and White Minstrel Show" to demonstrate how the goalposts had moved in the last 50 years or so.

IMHO the way to get rid of racism is through education, awareness and decent legislation. Sure there are still racists about but nowadays they have to be a lot more covert. Which in some ways is a solution in itself.

However I do wonder what these people are teaching their kids.

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Of course "the goalposts are moving" and hopefully will continue to do so.

I posted a picture of "The Black and White Minstrel Show" to demonstrate how the goalposts had moved in the last 50 years or so.

IMHO the way to get rid of racism is through education, awareness and decent legislation. Sure there are still racists about but nowadays they have to be a lot more covert. Which in some ways is a solution in itself.

However I do wonder what these people are teaching their kids.

Society's goalposts absolutely should move. To move your own when someone is answering the question you asked in a discussion is a bit disingenuous.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

China has moved on but you still know your place as a westerner (which is absolutely fine it’s their country),

:D Imagine saying that about a majority white Western country?  I think the last few posts have illustrated my point that multicultural societies are far from ubiquitous.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

:D Imagine saying that about a majority white Western country?  I think the last few posts have illustrated my point that multicultural societies are far from ubiquitous.  

Well I get the point on white privilege but really I’m saying our society accommodates white people better in some instances because places like Britain are democracy’s not because of some conspiracy by white people. If 80% of a country comes from a similar background then naturally that country is going to operate in a way that best accommodates those 80% of people. Just like China operates exclusively from the perspective of the billion odd Chinese who live there. It’s not much fun being a Muslim in China at the moment. Most of them end up in re-education camps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

As to the violence during these protests it is the minority causing trouble as usual. 

Protests always seem to attract a small number of idiots who want an excuse for a fight.  

Which is doing the cause an immense amount of damage. The organisers have allowed the protests/solidarity marches to be infiltrated by anarchist thugs. 

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

First..someone needs to define 'White Privilege'.

White privilege means you think and say this

“It’s terrible that an innocent black man got Murdered by the police, but looting and property destruction must stop”

instead of this

”It’s terrible that  looting and property destruction are happening, but innocent black men being murdered by the police must stop.”

Its a mind set thing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Which is doing the cause an immense amount of damage. The organisers have allowed the protests/solidarity marches to be infiltrated by anarchist thugs. 

I am not entirely sure that organisers can exclude the thugs.  Would you expect the organisers of a protest to perform a background check on everyone who attends? 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

100 years ago sure, but with easy international travel and mass communication surely that view is now mostly outdated? Or at least should be.

It's not. It persists in some countries. I know, I've been on the receiving end of gross intimidation in a former CIS country. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I am not entirely sure that organisers can exclude the thugs.  Would you expect the organisers of a protest to perform a background check on everyone who attends? 

Actually yes.... if you want to get the desired result. What's happened in the last 48 hours or so in the UK will have set the 'race' debate back a couple of years at least.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HeliX said:

Without wanting to nitpick, Helix, are all those examples of racism against black people?  Certainly there are islamophobic allegations and what was the ethnicity of the victim of the taxi driver?  

I know you were not addressing this particular aspect, but to a degree it demonstrates why people are a bit bemused about black lives mattering as opposed to other ethnicities.

There were no demonstrations when a truck load of dead Vietnamese people were found in Essex, or cockle pickers in Morecambe.   I am not sure how to distinguish someone making money put of people trafficking and exploitation and causing their death in the process as against the awful death of George Floyd. So, to me ALL lives matter.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, John Wright said:

“It’s terrible that an innocent black man got Murdered by the police, but looting and property destruction must stop”

instead of this

”It’s terrible that  looting and property destruction are happening, but innocent black men being murdered by the police must stop.”

Its a mind set thing.

So you are trying to justify violence by invoking police brutality on another continent? Doesn't work. 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Without wanting to nitpick, Helix, are all those examples of racism against black people?  Certainly there are islamophobic allegations and what was the ethnicity of the victim of the taxi driver?  

I know you were not addressing this particular aspect, but to a degree it demonstrates why people are a bit bemused about black lives mattering as opposed to other ethnicities.

There were no demonstrations when a truck load of dead Vietnamese people were found in Essex, or cockle pickers in Morecambe.   I am not sure how to distinguish someone making money put of people trafficking and exploitation and causing their death in the process as against the awful death of George Floyd. So, to me ALL lives matter.

Not necessarily against black people no, but that wasn't the brief I was given! :) There's a post doing the rounds on FaceAche this morning from a local black person discussing her childhood here and the racism she encountered.

What would you protest in those cases though? Trafficking? Crime? Who are you protesting against?

The difference here is that it's employees of the state being paid from tax money causing the issue - so protesting has a target.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

instead of this

Its a mind set thing.

Thank you John. Very much. I was starting to get worried, because it's a minefield out there.

I do not have white privilege and neither does anyone I know.