Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

It is not clear what BLM actually want, what do they want the IOMG to actually do?  Write to Trump, cut off trade relations with the US?  Which employees of the state in the IOM perpetuate anti-black sentiment and actions, and what do the IOM BLM want the IOMG to do about it?  Enact legislation, define policy statements, train?

Originally it was to send a message to the US, now it seems it is for the IOM to change something  but it is not clear what or how. 

Yet this matter is so pressing that CV regulations must be broken/bent to allow a demonstration, but actually what the tangible desired outcome is, is not clear, above a change.  But in what and who, and why just black lives?  I think we possibly see much more racism in the IOM against other minorities, but that isn't the zeitgeist is it?

As I said above, people are bemused as to why other ethnicities are not included  or even more broad socio-economic barriers that work against all kinds of minorities,  not just ethnic.  To an extent that is a bit of a PR faux pas to achieving the objective. 

Please don't give me an analogy like the house on fire, because I think there may be several houses on fire so it would be better to beef up the fire brigade to fight them all. 

For the record, I do not like discrimination, hatred, or bullying in any form, whether it based on race, sex  or disability, but most of all ideological fascism. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

As to the violence during these protests it is the minority causing trouble as usual. 

Protests always seem to attract a small number of idiots who want an excuse for a fight.  

like football then ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

It is not clear what BLM actually want, what do they want the IOMG to actually do?  Write to Trump, cut off trade relations with the US?  Which employees of the state in the IOM perpetuate anti-black sentiment and actions, and what do the IOM BLM want the IOMG to do about it?  Enact legislation, define policy statements, train?

Originally it was to send a message to the US, now it seems it is for the IOM to change something  but it is not clear what or how. 

Yet this matter is so pressing that CV regulations must be broken/bent to allow a demonstration, but actually what the tangible desired outcome is, is not clear, above a change.  But in what and who, and why just black lives?  I think we possibly see much more racism in the IOM against other minorities, but that isn't the zeitgeist is it?

As I said above, people are bemused as to why other ethnicities are not included  or even more broad socio-economic barriers that work against all kinds of minorities,  not just ethnic.  To an extent that is a bit of a PR faux pas to achieving the objective. 

Please don't give me an analogy like the house on fire, because I think there may be several houses on fire so it would be better to beef up the fire brigade to fight them all. 

Firvthecrecird, I do not like discrimination, hatred, or bullying in any form, whether it ivased on race, sex  or disability, but most of all ideological fascism. 

the BLM baby is crying and wants feeding and its nappy changed.

30 minutes ago, Gladys said:

For the record, I do not like discrimination, hatred, or bullying in any form, whether it based on race, sex  or disability, but most of all ideological fascism. 

So far as I'm aware, the point of the demonstration/protest here is awareness & solidarity. I believe the organisers will be giving out information leaflets about where people can donate and what causes they can support for change.

That point has been somewhat unclear hitherto, with various purposes stated as the reason.  

So who needs to be made aware, who isn't already?  Solidarity with whom, the other BLM demonstrators who have mobbed and rioted?  With blacks in America? 

There other ways of raising awareness and showing solidarity than gathering contrary to covid regulations. 

It's sticking it to Uncle Sam and the pantomime villain Trump. The U.K. Left have four bogeymen: Tories, Jews, the Saudis and most of all the Americans. That's it. They used to hate the South Africans too under apartheid but that's all finished now. They ain't bothered about Putin (They secretly admire him - but won't say they do); The Chinese Communist Party or brutal dictators and their security forces across all continents. It's an infantilised politics for dummies with a 'goodies' and 'baddies' world view.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That point has been somewhat unclear hitherto, with various purposes stated as the reason.  

So who needs to be made aware, who isn't already?  Solidarity with whom, the other BLM demonstrators who have mobbed and rioted?  With blacks in America? 

There other ways of raising awareness and showing solidarity than gathering contrary to covid regulations. 

So far as I know the "solidarity and awareness" line has always been in the event description. Solidarity with the BLM movement, which I think you probably knew already before suggesting it was solidarity with the rioters ;) 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So they want to change the view of 16 people?

I think representative studies are usually extrapolated to population size, and I think you may be doing a bit of a disservice by cherry picking one point from that poster, but actually I don't think protests can change the opinions of racists directly. What they could do though, is raise awareness in the rest of the population, which is how you stand a better chance of changing the opinions of the actual racists. As for what they're raising awareness of and whether it works - well, I didn't know about that survey until all this...

Jordan's got a point. Shame on him and his mates that they made it by attacking a radio presenter who must be close to being an OAP if not already there. I guess that shows why anonymity here on MF is useful. Back to the point though,

In my experience;

Jordan was the subject of racial abuse in his now well publicized brush with the law, a Filipino friend was racially abused in Ramsey as was an Indian friend. This tells be that racist behaviour is indeed present here in the Isle of Man.

Racist behaviour isn't taught in our schools and is not something you're born with. Somebody somewhere however is teaching it and that's where it needs stamping out. If a public protest helps then let's have one.

This is however not the right time to do it as we're still under partial lockdown. Gatherings of more than 10 are presently illegal and the police shouldn't be facilitating this one.

• Like 1

In my experience, as a rule no one 'teaches' it.

I've met plenty of racist people. Some are widely travelled and base their views on what they've seen and how they've been treated in different countries and by different cultures. Put yourself in their shoes and you might even begin to understand where they're coming from. Other racists that I've met are just thick, and it's usually a primal, tribal identity thing. You'll never educate some of them out of it.

I've met far more 'whites' that hate other 'whites' for all sorts of reasons, and they've slaughtered each other in millions since time began. It's the same for all races. The reasons might be spurious or petty, but also it might be resources; religion; language; geography; history, or some other cultural difference. At root level it's about competition, dominance and power - the drivers of survival and evolution.

Racism in the human species has been around for tens of thousands of years; it assumes new forms, and it ain't gonna change any time soon.     

• Like 2