Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

Jordan's got a point. Shame on him and his mates that they made it by attacking a radio presenter who must be close to being an OAP if not already there. I guess that shows why anonymity here on MF is useful. Back to the point though,

In my experience;

Jordan was the subject of racial abuse in his now well publicized brush with the law, a Filipino friend was racially abused in Ramsey as was an Indian friend. This tells be that racist behaviour is indeed present here in the Isle of Man.

Racist behaviour isn't taught in our schools and is not something you're born with. Somebody somewhere however is teaching it and that's where it needs stamping out. If a public protest helps then let's have one.

This is however not the right time to do it as we're still under partial lockdown. Gatherings of more than 10 are presently illegal and the police shouldn't be facilitating this one.

I cannot find the details of that as I do want to understand how a man who had part of his ear bitten off ended up with community services and costs against him.  Can you illuminate?

I do not doubt that there is racism here, like anywhere else.  However,  given our demographic profile isn't it more likely against other minorities (in fact you refer to that incident as being an attack first on two Asian people) and so is the BLM the right banner

Like I said above there are other houses burning. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I cannot find the details of that as I do want to understand how a man who had part of his ear bitten off ended up with community services and costs against him.  Can you illuminate?

I do not doubt that there is racism here, like anywhere else.  However,  given our demographic profile isn't it more likely against other minorities (in fact you refer to that incident as being an attack first on two Asian people) and so is the BLM the right banner

Like I said above there are other houses burning. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/takeaway-scrap-lands-man-community-service/

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

They charged him with affray - being involved in a fight. Be interesting to know what the person/people he was fighting with got charged with, but the manx radio report doesn't tell you this.

46 minutes ago, HeliX said:

So far as I know the "solidarity and awareness" line has always been in the event description. Solidarity with the BLM movement, which I think you probably knew already before suggesting it was solidarity with the rioters ;) 

I think representative studies are usually extrapolated to population size, and I think you may be doing a bit of a disservice by cherry picking one point from that poster, but actually I don't think protests can change the opinions of racists directly. What they could do though, is raise awareness in the rest of the population, which is how you stand a better chance of changing the opinions of the actual racists. As for what they're raising awareness of and whether it works - well, I didn't know about that survey until all this...

Actually, what would help the cause is for the aggrieved to start reporting the crime. There are laws out there to prevent and protect, use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

So far as I know the "solidarity and awareness" line has always been in the event description. Solidarity with the BLM movement, which I think you probably knew already before suggesting it was solidarity with the rioters ;) 

I think representative studies are usually extrapolated to population size, and I think you may be doing a bit of a disservice by cherry picking one point from that poster, but actually I don't think protests can change the opinions of racists directly. What they could do though, is raise awareness in the rest of the population, which is how you stand a better chance of changing the opinions of the actual racists. As for what they're raising awareness of and whether it works - well, I didn't know about that survey until all this...

That survey was 12 years ago, on the one hand just the blink of an eye, but still a long time ago during which time much has changed.  I also understand that the results would be extrapolated, but do we know whether stringent statistical rules were applied?  How was the sample chosen, what were the questions, did it include questions about migration from England (and we all know how that would go) and did this skew the result?

Remember the Whiskas cat food advert that proclaimed that 8 out of 10 cat owners preferred their product?  That was the basis of their campaign for years, but when the ASA got hold of it  the slogan changed to 8 out of 10 owners who expressed a preference...

Like I have said I don't doubt there is racism here, and we all need to be aware and challenge racist views, peacefully and kindly, or views won't change.  But I have these questions:-

1. Is the racism problem so bad here that it needs a demo right now seemingly against covid regulations?

2. Is the type of racism correctly addressed by BLM or is that really just serving to entrench views, not just in the white population, but in other minorities here who are more numerous and probably bemused as to why any racism they face is not sufficient to warrant some kind of organised recognition?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They charged him with affray - being involved in a fight. Be interesting to know what the person/people he was fighting with got charged with, but the manx radio report doesn't tell you this.

Exactly my point.  

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That survey was 12 years ago, on the one hand just the blink of an eye, but still a long time ago during which time much has changed.  I also understand that the results would be extrapolated, but do we know whether stringent statistical rules were applied?  How was the sample chosen, what were the questions, did it include questions about migration from England (and we all know how that would go) and did this skew the result?

Remember the Whiskas cat food advert that proclaimed that 8 out of 10 cat owners preferred their product?  That was the basis of their campaign for years, but when the ASA got hold of it  the slogan changed to 8 out of 10 owners who expressed a preference...

Like I have said I don't doubt there is racism here, and we all need to be aware and challenge racist views, peacefully and kindly, or views won't change.  But I have these questions:-

1. Is the racism problem so bad here that it needs a demo right now seemingly against covid regulations?

2. Is the type of racism correctly addressed by BLM or is that really just serving to entrench views, not just in the white population, but in other minorities here who are more numerous and probably bemused as to why any racism they face is not sufficient to warrant some kind of organised recognition?

I think you might be going to great length to try to disprove a point which we all know, which is that racism exists everywhere including the island.

As for much having changed in the last 12 years, it certainly has, we now have right-wing leaders in most Western countries...

I think actually the Covid restrictions should be heavily reduced island-wide, regardless of the protest. Were it my choice I'd hold the protest after that, but it's not, and perhaps it would lose some of its poignancy the longer we wait.

I'm not sure BLM existing discredits other anti-racism causes?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Might be easier to find out if the IoM courts/iom newspapers websites weren't such jokes.

Yes, as a summary court not sure it would be a published judgement as that would be my preferred source. 

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I think you might be going to great length to try to disprove a point which we all know, which is that racism exists everywhere including the island.

As for much having changed in the last 12 years, it certainly has, we now have right-wing leaders in most Western countries...

I think actually the Covid restrictions should be heavily reduced island-wide, regardless of the protest. Were it my choice I'd hold the protest after that, but it's not, and perhaps it would lose some of its poignancy the longer we wait.

I'm not sure BLM existing discredits other anti-racism causes?

I have stated repeatedly that I believe racism does exist here as everywhere.  My point is whether this demo is the right thing at the right time for the IOM. 

I am not saying BLM discredits other anti-racism causes, but it draws the focus from them leaving other minorities out on a limb somewhat.  I repeat, many houses burning. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You're right it doesn't. But it kinda looks as though BLM is the only anti-racist pony in town, for those on the outside looking in.

It's likely to look like the only one unless someone organises another one - not sure that can be said to be the fault of BLM!