Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

But not you.

I don't agree with his hypothesis that you just posted up.

Simple as.

There were more ships registered in Lancaster than Liverpool for much of the slaving period. There were a goodly number registered here. 

Any west coast port with an industrial hinterland and stuff to barter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Summary courts are the lower level ones, is that right? I'd expect someone who attacked someone else with a piece of wood, bit off part of someones ear and used racist language in the attack to end up at a higher court personally. This is the Isle of Man though...

I'll see if I can find out another way, might take a while.

Maybe the other party ran away, leaving Jordon to tend his injury and face an affray charge. 

Or Manx Radio didn’t have a reporter in court the day of his trial. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Creeping into Rog territory there Wolley - "it's not racism, it's nature".

It's both. Some people are not comfortable with confronting the truth that we are basically animals with innate animal characteristics. One of those is aggression against others for all manner of reasons, however it is channeled. It's a fine balance between our origins and where we have evolved to. High ideals and base instinct coexist uneasily within us. This is not really controversial.

Edited by woolley

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

Thank goodness no one has brought up the Manx involvement in the Slave Trade!

It's a fascinating Google: - how in 1862 (during the American Civil War), at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, the cotton workers of Lancashire voted, to their financial detriment, to refuse to handle slave cotton. To their great credit - and recognised by Lincoln, himself.

This was at a time when many ship owners operating out of Liverpool were breaking the blockade. It's incredible that this is such relatively recent history.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, pongo said:

It's a fascinating Google: - how in 1862 (during the American Civil War), at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, the cotton workers of Lancashire voted, to their financial detriment, to refuse to handle slave cotton. To their great credit - and recognised by Lincoln, himself.

This was at a time when many ship owners operating out of Liverpool were breaking the blockade. It's incredible that this is such relatively recent history.

So recent that the last person receiving an American Civil War pension only died a week ago.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 7:42 PM, NoTail said:

I have listened to the show and now read the transcript. No matter how hard I try I cant find any fault with Stu. In fact I thought he handled the onslaught very professionally. 

As did I. Onslaught being the operative word too, almost as though coordinated.

Listened twice to the whole conversation and even specifically listening for fault on Stu Peters  part, simply didn't find one.

• Like 4

No not a big fan of S P especially on TH but he has been hung out to dry on this one. I have listened and do not see him being out of order as such people can always make an off the cuff remark into something sinister if they have a mind to and these callers certainly had a mind to.   Such a fine upstanding citizen too, the one fined for fighting obviously got a chip on his shoulder and other issues.   Stu was put on the spot, I do not think a late night phone in show is the right place for deep discussion about fundamental race issues and as it is still under review I think the Creamery were premature in withdrawing sponsorship.   The Island is multi cultural and I have never been aware of any racial issues having friends of all colours nothing has ever been mentioned to me, these people are feeding racism and trying to promote it for subversive reasons.

• Like 5

Yep, The Creamery should have just either left as is or quietly removed their sponsorship if they really thought that was necessary. The Late Show still goes on with George Ferguson.

Instead the Creamery had to make a statement. They should have waited for the outcome at least but oh no they had to throw their full support against the presenter. 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

Yes, he has been hung out to dry and those who orchestrated this ambush will have had  a moment of satisfaction at the kick-off, then return to their lives with no lasting effect, good or bad.

I am still interested in the very first caller who obviously had someting to say, then chickened out with some mumbling complimentary remarks.  I'll bet he didn't get his badge for that effort. 

• Like 2