Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Has anyone picked up yet on comments made on today's Mannin Line by Quirkio (David Quirk ex MHK) ?

He has it in writing, allegedly, that the Communications Commission are NOT looking into the Stu Peters Late Show affair. So who is ?

Give them a chance...with the average age of these 'new look' MR presenters - it might take a little while to get the letter together.

image.jpeg.5217c27df270047d72496e339e2a434f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, woolley said:

There are a couple of subtly different issues here. I would not so much condemn them had they done so temporarily and put out a statement to the effect that the suspension was pending the outcome of the independent enquiry, full stop. This I would accept as protecting their legitimate commercial interest. They didn't. They immediately jumped aboard the manufactured bandwagon of outrage by putting out a statement distancing themselves from the programme and Stu Peters:

’For those people who heard the show, we wanted to publicly address what was said and make it clear that we in NO WAY condone the comments that were made or support the presenter’s view in any way.

’As a result of what was said we have decided to pull our sponsorship of that programme from this evening. Thank you to the people who have spoken up and brought this to our attention.’

This could be construed as meaning that Stu Peters had made racist comments when he did no such thing. They had no legitimacy in issuing a corporate verdict on Stu Peters prejudging the outcome of the investigation. That is my problem with what they have done. Manx Radio should also have told them in no uncertain terms to butt out. No commercial news organisation or broadcaster should tolerate a client publicly interfering with or commenting on non-commercial content.

I hope Stu Peter's has the last laugh here and litigates Manx Radio and the Creamery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Has anyone picked up yet on comments made on today's Mannin Line by Quirkio (David Quirk ex MHK) ?

He has it in writing, allegedly, that the Communications Commission are NOT looking into the Stu Peters Late Show affair. So who is ?

I have an email from them acknowledging my email in support of Stu. If asked to investigate, I don't think they can refuse. 

(I deleted the name of who replied)

Thank you for your comments in relation to the Late Show broadcast on Manx Radio on 3rd June 2020, which have been noted.

However, please note that in line with best practice the Commission does not comment on the specifics of ongoing investigations.

Kind regards

Communications Commission

Ground Floor

Murray House

Mount Havelock

Douglas, ISLE OF MAN

IM1 2SF

35 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm genuinely confused. A local company sponsors a local radio show, and following public outrage over the presenters behaviour the sponsor stops sponsoring, so some people declare they won't buy their products any more for some reason I cannot fully comprehend.

Seems pretty fucking stupid to me.

Yes. It's stupid. It's so unfair isn't it?

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, but it would stick in my craw if I felt ideologically bound to buy Jersey full cream milk. (Flippant remark before someone pounces on it.)

If only Stu hadn't publicly decried buying creamery milk when he had the cafe the outcome might have been much different? But I seem to remember him saying he wouldn’t buy IOM creamery milk hammering them on Facebook for overpriced milk and having a poor delivery schedule after the autistic kid incident. 

47 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They probably aren't at the moment.  Normally these regulatory bodies can only look at things after all internal procedures have been exhausted, which wouldn't be the case this soon after the initial complaints.  Manx Radio would have to follow its own rules for dealing with complaints first and the Communications Commission could only act once those were concluded and if someone wanted to object to the outcome.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

They probably aren't at the moment.  Normally these regulatory bodies can only look at things after all internal procedures have been exhausted, which wouldn't be the case this soon after the initial complaints.  Manx Radio would have to follow its own rules for dealing with complaints first and the Communications Commission could only act once those were concluded and if someone wanted to object to the outcome.

I have it in writing that they are investigating.

12 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

If only Stu hadn't publicly decried buying creamery milk when he had the cafe the outcome might have been much different? But I seem to remember him saying he wouldn’t buy IOM creamery milk hammering them on Facebook for overpriced milk and having a poor delivery schedule after the autistic kid incident. 

Wasn't it more to do with the size of containers being inconvenient? It's a long time ago.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Wasn't it more to do with the size of containers being inconvenient? It's a long time ago.

Not sure. I know that I was left with the impression that Peters was so tight he probably ideally wanted to buy milk on sale or return. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The wording of the response you quote above though Max, neither confirms nor denies that they are investigating this case.

Other than saying they don't comment on ongoing investigations.  Pretty clear to me.  I heard DQ on MR today and who knows what they said as he didn't have the letter in front of him.