Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Other than saying they don't comment on ongoing investigations.  Pretty clear to me.  I heard DQ on MR today and who knows what they said as he didn't have the letter in front of him. 

But they aren't saying that it's their ongoing investigations.  They will be aware of the ones at Manx Radio and may even keep any complaints to them on file, but I doubt they would act until the other ones had been concluded.

15 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Not sure. I know that I was left with the impression that Peters was so tight he probably ideally wanted to buy milk on sale or return. 

Likely comes with the territory and the cost of renting property on Athol Street, I would imagine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But they aren't saying that it's their ongoing investigations.  They will be aware of the ones at Manx Radio and may even keep any complaints to them on file, but I doubt they would act until the other ones had been concluded.

Yes, I thought that, but it confirms that there is an investigation.  

I remember the milkgate affair Stu said he would love to buy Manx milk but it cost more than the imported stuff and profit margins were so tight he could not afford to, he did not criticize Manx milk or the Creameries.    As far as public outrage the people I have spoken to about it do not think there was any wrongdoing although to be fair they were all in my age group, old and decrepit, and younger, woke, snowflakes may have a different slant on the subject.   The overriding fact is about 80,000 people on the Island do not give a flying fuck one way or another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

This is something I find frustrating with a lot of media coverage of cases (in my case those relating to Employment Law).

There will be an initial report outlining a case to be brought against an employer - normally with a reactionary headline - but then you will find no further mention of it.  The one that sticks in my mind was a muslim woman who had been rejected for a job at a hairdressers because she wore a covering over her hair.  There was "outrage" about the case in the press but then no follow up on what the outcome of the Employment Tribunal.  Turns out the ET ruled in favour of the hairdresser which meant the media could not follow up on their moral outrage and they therefore didn't report on it.

Locally, I don't think there are enough court reporters to sit in on the hearings and report on the outcomes.  Reading court judgement can often be pretty dry as well.  

All employment tribunal decisions are publicly available after 2006 https://www.judgments.im/content/@54.htm Whether or not its reported in the media is an editorial call.

The Communications Commission actually have a statement up on their website:

Manx Radio Late Show Complaints - 3rd June 2020

Published On:Thursday, June 4, 2020

The Communications Commission has received a number of complaints regarding the Late Show broadcast on Manx Radio on the 3rd of June 2020. Broadcasters in the Isle of Man have a duty to adhere to the Programme Code and the Commission has been in contact with Manx Radio to investigate the matter to determine if further action is warranted; this is at the preliminary stages and the Commission does not comment on the specifics of ongoing investigations.

Which is a bit ambiguous as to who is investigating what. The sound you can hear is the sound of bucks being passed (lots of passive voice there).  I suspect the Comms Comm have told Manx Radio to go through their own procedures first and Manx Radio have discovered they haven't got any.

The Programme Code is a fairly odd document, last revised Summer 2004, so not exactly up to the latest in social media.  The relevant section appears to be (p 13):

1.8(i) Ethnic Minorities No programme should be transmitted which is intended to stir up racial hatred or, taking into account the circumstances, is likely to do so: where appropriate, schedules should give a fair reflection of the contribution of all races to society.

Racist terms should be avoided. Insensitive comments or stereotyped portrayal may cause offence. Their inclusion is acceptable only where it can be justified within the context of the programme.

Careful account should be taken of the possible effect upon the racial minority concerned, as well as the population as a whole, and of changes in public attitudes to what is, and is not, acceptable.

As far as I can tell they seem to have copied the whole thing from the Independent Television Commission, a body that was superseded in 2003. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, piebaps said:

What has being up to date with social media to do with the price of soap? The program was broadcast.

Because broadcasters also have social media channels as well and if the Communications Commission is responsible for the content of what broadcasters put out, then they should be included, especially as they will interact with the content of the programmes.

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The Programme Code is a fairly odd document, last revised Summer 2004, so not exactly up to the latest in social media.  The relevant section appears to be (p 13):

As far as I can tell they seem to have copied the whole thing from the Independent Television Commission, a body that was superseded in 2003. 

Would that be the Wigan Independent Television Commission they copied it from?

• Like 2

I reckon the buck being passed is because no one knows what to do. It seems to me that no matter how unpleasant some people found Stu Peters to be it isn't really a firing offence, but MR know that the backlash of putting him back on the air will be massive.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I reckon the buck being passed is because no one knows what to do. It seems to me that no matter how unpleasant some people found Stu Peters to be it isn't really a firing offence, but MR know that the backlash of putting him back on the air will be massive.

Not that massive. Storm in a Teapot. Give it a few weeks though.

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

He'd definitely win any fair employment tribunal. We've all seen the transcript and there's nothing there.

But he’s not actually employed by MR. He’s a subbie/freelancer

• Like 1