Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You've got it Wrighty. All these terms have changed and changed again multiple times just in the last thirty years or so. Use the wrong word and you're racist scum.

They've even banned Gone With the Wind - a classic Hollywood movie. How much more fuckwitted is this going to get ?

It's the tip of the iceburg SMJ

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You've got it Wrighty. All these terms have changed and changed again multiple times just in the last thirty years or so. Use the wrong word and you're racist scum.

So many word meaning changes over such few years. Buck Rogers is going to get fucking lynched.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Thanks for that.  It's also a bit vague isn't it?  Even if you ignore all the "Please tell us we're wonderful" stuff.  Here's a direct link:

We strive to provide high standards and to deliver them in a professional manner, recognised and appreciated by the listening public. If you are unhappy or dissatisfied with parts of our service, however, we want to know. If there are problems we want to be able to consider them and, where appropriate, take steps to put them right.

If you have a complaint about a programme, in the first instance contact the station. The staff in the department concerned will try and solve the difficulty. If, after this, you are still unhappy, you should write or ask to speak to the Managing Director.

[...]  Should you still not be satisfied with the advice received you have the right to take the matter up with the Communications Commission. This body is responsible for licensing and regulating broadcasting in the Isle of Man. Part of the Commission's job is to ensure that licensees, including Manx Radio, honour their obligations.

As I suspected it means that complaints should go to the station first who decide what the 'department concerned' is and only then to Communications Commission.

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They've even banned Gone With the Wind - a classic Hollywood movie. How much more fuckwitted is this going to get ?

Don't worry we have the DVD, we're considering setting up a library. Put your name on the list, I'm sure there'll more in the pipeline for erasure before this is finished.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So do you approve of this new group 'People of Colour' that's been set up locally Declan ? Are they racists too then ?

I haven't called Stu a racist.   

I don't like the term people of colour, but you'd have to be willfully obtuse not to see the difference between the meaning and use of the two terms.

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That film caused controversy when it was released, been controversial ever since.

19 minutes ago, woolley said:

It isn't a news programme though. It is intended to be controversial, and the host to be provocative rather than impartial. People are expected to argue and that is what is meant to provide the entertainment. There was a bloke on Manchester local radio in the 80s called James Stannage and he was notoriously controversial with many bans and scrapes to his name. People used to ring up to be insulted. It's a more than 30 year old genre that Stu always wanted to bring to Manx Radio. Perhaps society has simply become too po-faced to accept such output now

But provocative isn't the same as biased.  If Stu had been challenging the views of all callers to force them to justify them, then there wouldn't be a problem.  But he never has and doesn't see it as part of his job.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Stu's never been a 'shock-jock' though. He's not a Stannage or a Beswick; let alone a Piers Morgan, Nick Ferrari or a James O'Brien. He's far too genial for that style and he wouldn't have even lasted five minutes at Manx Radio if he was.

I think he thought he could use the style but not fall over the edge, if you get my drift. I think it's a case of the edge moving closer nowadays.

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But provocative isn't the same as biased.  If Stu had been challenging the views of all callers to force them to justify them, then there wouldn't be a problem.  But he never has and doesn't see it as part of his job.  

No, and in the genre of programme we are talking about it is not incumbent on the host to do that. It isn't a news programme or a documentary. The host can have an opinion. That's the whole idea.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes, HBO has taken it from their streaming service with Netflix about to follow apparently. 

The 1977 version of Roots has also fallen victim? Written by the descendant of a slave, this world is certainly getting a little too self righteous for it's own good? If anything tells the tale of slavery, surely it's Roots?

• Like 1

I wish someone would come up with a rolling list of up to date politically correct terms for the non trendy types like myself, so I do not feel like I am dodging land mines when discussing race or other contentious arguments. I struggle (and if truth be known can’t be bothered) to keep up, so as a result generally avoid engaging at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

I wish someone would come up with a rolling list of up to date politically correct terms for the non trendy types like myself, so I do not feel like I am dodging land mines when discussing race or other contentious arguments. I struggle (and if truth be known can’t be bothered) to keep up, so as a result generally avoid engaging at all.

That unfortunately is the problem OTB, it's safer and easier not to engage. I've never seen so many eggshells being scattered about as I have just recently. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, HBO has taken it from their streaming service with Netflix about to follow apparently. 

The 1977 version of Roots has also fallen victim? Written by the descendant of a slave, this world is certainly getting a little too self righteous for it's own good? If anything tells the tale of slavery, surely it's Roots?

HBO haven't taken it off permanently though