Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I think Stu will be asked to resign with a compensation packet, it is a shame,unfair and unnecessary and will further stifle free speech.  The BBC is going down that road reporting mainly peaceful demonstrations I wonder if he had been fronting a programme on either of the other two radio stations would they have crumbled under pressure from a vocal few.

I don't want to see part of the taxpayer funded subvention payment used to have to make 'sorry we've wronged you in the interests of giving in to bullies and not making a stand for free speech and fair play' payments. Peters is owed his show back, sharpish, and either an apology or something close to it: "MR regrets SP's suspension during the investigation period" . MR also needs to issue a firm rebuttal of allegations of racism or inappropriate behaviour on SP's part. If MR 'pays the Danegeld' to the agitators this time, it won't be long before they're back with more demands on something else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Part of the remit of all broadcasters is balance and those talk radio stations that employ broadcasters with particular, strongly-expressed, viewpoints are supposed to balance their output by employing those with a range of views.  Public service broadcasters, such as Manx Radio is supposed to be, tend to balance within a particular programme - apart from anything else Manx Radio hasn't got enough of such shows that they can even things out across the schedule.

Hosts can have opinions or course (difficult to stop it, given that being a raving egomaniac is part of the job description for a broadcaster) but they are supposed to be self-aware enough to know that a range of opinions being challenged will make better broadcasting  and attract more listeners, rather than those who just agree 100% with the host.

I don't think Stu has any strongly-expressed views apart from speed limits and the price of beer....

As for challenging a range of opinions you end up with a Paxman who isn't actually challenging viewpoints but just being downright rude...

• Like 2

Complaining about the price of Manx Milk is.

'' Fop'', I don't think Fop was ever a Gay description? More about attire or a style ?  'Fop haired '.

@Wrighty. You didn't have 'Quack' on your list!     ;)

Edited by Kopek

He did not complain about the price of Manx milk he explained he used the cheaper version from across, which is just as good, because of his profit margin which makes good business sense.   I wonder how many hotels and restaurants use Manx eggs ?   I would put money on 99% on them using the cheap imported eggs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

He did not complain about the price of Manx milk he explained he used the cheaper version from across, which is just as good, because of his profit margin which makes good business sense.   I wonder how many hotels and restaurants use Manx eggs ?   I would put money on 99% on them using the cheap imported eggs.

It's an example of Stu innocently wearing his heart on his sleeve too much. I wouldn't go on air and say that my business did x or y because you can bet that some tosspot with nothing better to do is going to make a big deal of it.

I think if I remember rightly he was put on the spot in a debate about buying local and he admitted he did not buy Manx milk when he was asked if he did.   It was a while ago, but he certainly did not knock Manx milk it was just a profit making decision and as a coffee shop he must have used a lot of milk so the difference in cost would be an item to be considered.   

• Like 2