Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You lot are destroying language. The shame is that you don't even know it.

You can't destroy something that isn't owned.

Language is a function, not an object. If words need to be torn to pieces so that language can function then that's what will happen. And that's a good thing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Are you saying that language has no value ? That it's equivalent to number function or computer code ?

This is another aspect that is worrying.  Language is the output of thought - the corollary of that is pretty easy to see. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Declan said:

That's where my objection to the program comes from. People are reading the transcript of one call and saying he did nothing wrong. But a transcript cannot show him scoffing at the anti-racist callers, interrupting and it only includes one call not the whole show where he was  "playing devil's advocate" towards anti-racist callers and having a good laugh with those that disagreed with them. He didn't challenge one callers use of the word coloured and when questioned on it said it was because "he might kick off".

You can't play devil's advocate to only one side of a debate - on a state-funded broadcaster.

From trawling through all of this topic, I think this posters 'real' issue is in the regular and oft quoted line 'State funded broadcaster'.

He/She is using this Stu Peters non issue debate as a carrier for his/her real issue with the station. 

Edited by Sentience
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Are you saying that language has no value ? That it's equivalent to number function or computer code ?

Of course language has value, but it is subjective so it can never be right or wrong. Whether you comply or resist the societal lanugage "norms" is part of the communicative function. Accepting and defining one correct English is as much a political statement as deviating from a standard is.

In short, relax and embrace the difference.

1 hour ago, parchedpeas said:

Of course language has value, but it is subjective so it can never be right or wrong. Whether you comply or resist the societal lanugage "norms" is part of the communicative function. Accepting and defining one correct English is as much a political statement as deviating from a standard is.

In short, relax and embrace the difference.

Of course language is objective. Otherwise we couldn't communicate or have this 'conversation'. You've used the words 'right' and 'wrong'. QED ?

This isn't the place to discuss this though. I think you're talking bollocks but if you want to continue then begin a new thread. Some examples would be helpful.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hissingsid said:

He did not complain about the price of Manx milk he explained he used the cheaper version from across, which is just as good, because of his profit margin which makes good business sense.   

Rumour has it the creamery are only selling white milk.

• Haha 4

No Albert, they sell Blue, Green and Red!!!

Even in a Coffeeshop the price difference of milks is not going to be the difference in profit and loss. The ratio of food to coffee or the volume of coffee sales might?

Not sure I'd agree with you there Kopk - catering produce from UK & Ireland can be significantly cheaper than local

Normally with high mark up items like coffee it wouldn't really matter, but the Coffee Exchange was (is?) in a prominent location with I dare say sizeable overheads to cover