Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I doubt it would bother Cleese, being called a racist. He doesn't suffer fools. He'd just tell them to fuck off. He's on about his fourth wife; paid off the others in court; lost millions, but the money will still keep rolling in from Python and Fawlty etc.  He lives in the Caribbean now anyway. Didn't he give Britain the two fingered salute a few years ago ? 

• Like 1

I think it would bother him to be thought of as racist when he's not. He's curmudgeonly but he's not an idiot.

And it does seem to bother him -

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/john-cleese-slams-uktv-decision-to-remove-fawlty-towers-episode-as-stupid-20200612-p5523w.html

He does raise an issue that's worrying me about all this...

“The Major was an old fossil left over from decades before. We were not supporting his views, we were making fun of them,” said Cleese,“If they can’t see that, if people are too stupid to see that, what can one say?" *

Quite a lot of things that are being challenged are holding up racism to ridicule. Papa Lazerou in League of Gentlemen isn't a white man blacking up to ridicule a black man - it's a white man blacking up to ridicule a white man blacking up.

* I wonder is Cleese beginning to feel like the major. **

** I wonder if we all will eventually.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's out of control really.  Faulty Towers is classic comedy.  If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Same with the others. Quite why Leigh Francis feels the need to apologise is beyond me.  I'm hoping Walliams and Matt Lucas dont.

It would be a massive bonus for TV if they banned Leigh Francis. The most unfunny "comedian" on the planet

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It would be a massive bonus for TV if they banned Leigh Francis. The most unfunny "comedian" on the planet

The Keith Lemon character he still does is rubbish but some bits of Bo Selecta were amazing - notably Lorraines growler and his now apparently racist portrayal of Mel B.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

I've never heard of Leigh Francis, I know who John Cleese is.

You May know him by his stage name, however. Keith Lemon. There are 3 people I switch over TV channels to avoid. Thatcher, Farage and Lemon. 

Edited by John Wright
To change Faragher to Farage
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You May know him by his stage name, however. Keith Lemon. There are 3 people I switch over TV channels to avoid. Thatcher, Faragher and Lemon. 

Keith Lemon was a decent creation at the beginning.  But it has ran its course.

Bo Selecta was, in parts, very funny.  He has nothing to apologise for.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think it would bother him to be thought of as racist when he's not. He's curmudgeonly but he's not an idiot.

And it does seem to bother him -

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/john-cleese-slams-uktv-decision-to-remove-fawlty-towers-episode-as-stupid-20200612-p5523w.html

He does raise an issue that's worrying me about all this...

“The Major was an old fossil left over from decades before. We were not supporting his views, we were making fun of them,” said Cleese,“If they can’t see that, if people are too stupid to see that, what can one say?" *

Quite a lot of things that are being challenged are holding up racism to ridicule. Papa Lazerou in League of Gentlemen isn't a white man blacking up to ridicule a black man - it's a white man blacking up to ridicule a white man blacking up.

* I wonder is Cleese beginning to feel like the major. **

** I wonder if we all will eventually.

Actually, I am sure it does bother him because Monty Python/Fawlty Towers (or Flowery Twats if you remember the anagram on the hotel sign on the opening credits each week) lampooned the accepted norms of the time.

I see Paw Patrol is under scrutiny for favourable portrayal of the police. 

I can see mass book and DVD burnings happening next. A stupid majority led by an ill-thinking minority.

Meanwhile, the authorities keep laughing as the focus moves away from reforming the police in the USA.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1