Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Expand on that?

ETA: OK, sort of get it. Apart from the reparations for colonial crimes bit. These are the stated aims.

Maybe they want the gold reserves? Too bad. Gordon Brown got there first.

They've been buying back into gold in a big way this last year or so

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

Can we take the statue of T E Brown down. I don’t think he was a racist but his poetry was shite. 

Pains me to say it but you’re bang on. On the grounds of artistic merit that statue is embarrassing. Damn funny when when someone cones his head though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Pains me to say it but you’re bang on. On the grounds of artistic merit that statue is embarrassing. Damn funny when when someone cones his head though.

That's one of my favourite Manx customs.  We drove past it a few days ago and it had a cone on its head.  My son roared with laughter, obviously had not seen that done before.  I told him it is a custom that goes back to beyond living memory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That's one of my favourite Manx customs.  We drove past it a few days ago and it had a cone on its head.  My son roared with laughter, obviously had not seen that done before.  I told him it is a custom that goes back to beyond living memory. 

So when he goes to Uni - any Uni in any town or city - he can pass the custom on when they all come back from the pub.

I think it's a far better civilised statement doing that every other Friday night rather than mob ripping  a statue down? 

I worked on the TE Brown statue building and got to know the person who built and owned it. A small stocky Irish chap, and very wealthy. I always reckoned the statue was of him but he just got someone to say it was oor Tom so that he could get to have it displayed.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It's a right of passage for any decent night out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a statue to the umpire Dickie Bird in Barnsley. His finger is up giving a batsman out. So every weekend there's a bra or a condom hanging off Dickie's digit. Sometimes on a Sunday morning Dickie has been seen tidying it up.

But it can have serious consequences...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/calls-statue-replaced-memorial-teen-22183651

• Haha 1

Primarily they were an Artform, it was convenient for the artist to get a commission so they they could be paid for producing something particular, allowing them to unleash their artistic licence on their own conceptions?