Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, pongo said:

Statues are nearly as weird as flags. And let's be honest, everyone with any sense of class knows that flags are dumb.

I appreciate you are trying to be nonsensically provocative, but this is a predictable response. People are destroying statues so let's not deal with the criminal damage, let's abolish the statues instead. It's a bit like the police trying to stop black on black crime and murder means that the police are institutionally racist and should be defunded.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

I appreciate you are trying to be nonsensically provocative, but this is a predictable response. People are destroying statues so let's not deal with the criminal damage, let's abolish the statues instead. It's a bit like the police trying to stop black on black crime and murder means that the police are institutionally racist and should be defunded.

Even more concerning was the stated position of the Avon and Somerset police, that they wouldn't intervene in case it inflamed the situation further.  So it all becomes very dystopian, there is a crime in play and the police decide to ignore it. 

When and how is that judgement next going to be applied? Do the police first have to take a view on the popularity of their role as law keepers? Do they ignore all crime because it may inflame further?  Or is it just categories, and who decides which categories should be given the get of jail free card?

The real danger is that rather than address the real and underlying issues causing the inequality for all minorities,  we are moving to grand gestures, tokenism and faux liberalism, whilst getting everyone off the hook for addressing the real issue.  Those issues and how they are addressed may be unpalatable for both sides. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, pongo said:

OK. But what are statues for? What do you do with them, for example?

They animate in the early hours of the morning, locate idiot posters and terrify them into ceasing involvement with online forums.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, woolley said:

I appreciate you are trying to be nonsensically provocative, but this is a predictable response. People are destroying statues so let's not deal with the criminal damage, let's abolish the statues instead. 

None of that actually. It's a straight question: What are statues for? Why do we have them. I don't care who they of.

It seems to me a daft convention. And weird. Something people do because they do. But without questioning why. So why?

Are you going to go and stare at a statue? Or talk to it? Maybe get a selfie? And it seems a rather useless kind of tribute.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, pongo said:

None of that actually. It's a straight question: What are statues for? Why do we have them. I don't care who they of.

It seems to me a daft convention. And weird. Something people do because they do. But without questioning why. So why?

Are you going to go and stare at a statue? Or talk to it? Maybe get a selfie? And it seems a rather useless kind of tribute.

Whatever it is you normally are, Pongo, and I never am quite sure, you seem even more so tonight.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pongo said:

I thought viewing Michelangelo's David was well worth the trip to Florence.

Having spent an hour or so gawping at the ceiling of the Sistene chapel you have to wonder how some folks are just so outrageously gifted....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

Whatever it is you normally are, Pongo, and I never am quite sure, you seem even more so tonight.

Well that's all very well and good.

But why not try and answer the question? What are statues for? What's the point of them? How are we supposed to use them?

Is it just a convention?