Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 hours ago, pongo said:

Most of the statues of Lenin went up long after he had died. Same as the slavers and imperialists. Same thing.

Granted some used to try to argue that he was somehow less toxic then Stalin.

Pongo, I don't want to live in some vanilla state where our history has been rewritten so as not to offend the minority. The fact is, we live in a country built by all sorts of different people and methods. Half of our kings and queens should be written out for their treatment of different religions. Our history is complex and removing parts of it tell a biased story which negates certain parts of it. Slavery was an abomination, like many things which many countries were involved in, and many still are! If we remove that part of our history future generations will never come to terms with any of it. You may say that's good but it appears that BLM want a one sided view of the whole thing, with no balance. Whites evil, blacks good?

Slavery was a bad thing, it still is, but there isn't any slavery now in which Britain or the US is involved. I have never owned a slave, just like these protesters have never picked cotton or been a slave. To forget about it and deny future generations the right to know about it is pretty dangerous in my book.

• Like 8

I can't think of many major countries that've been as relatively stable as Britain has, for as long as we have. Perhaps Canada, Australia, New Zealand ? All commonwealth countries and fairly modern nation states. Switzerland is perhaps the only exception I can think of. Sweden maybe ?

Great post that Max. Absolutely spot on. 

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I can't think of many major countries that've been as relatively stable as Britain has, for as long as we have. Perhaps Canada, Australia, New Zealand ? All commonwealth countries and fairly modern nation states. Switzerland is perhaps the only exception I can think of. Sweden maybe ?

Great post that Max. Absolutely spot on. 

The Irish may beg to differ.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No, certainly not the Irish. They've had civil war, terrorism, poverty, Catholicism, mass emigration etc for most of the last hundred years.

And really a lot of the root causes which were imposed on them by the English mainly, were also imposed on most of the ordinary lower classes of all the home countries, including England itself. The Irish chose to do something about it I guess, whereas the small rebellions in England were crushed without mercy.

• Like 1