Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

these protesters have never picked cotton or been a slave. To forget about it and deny future generations the right to know about it is pretty dangerous in my book.

Max, are you suggesting that not having been there would allow us to forget about the Holocaust , Slavery, do we need constant reminders, ''Lest We Forget ''?

I've never hated Jews, so I don't need to think about that anymore???

46 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Max, are you suggesting that not having been there would allow us to forget about the Holocaust , Slavery, do we need constant reminders, ''Lest We Forget ''?

I've never hated Jews, so I don't need to think about that anymore???

Quite the opposite, being able to investigate, ask questions and see things in context is how you learn and appreciate. We now know a lot about Colston which we never would have if his statue wasn't there for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victorian dad said:

"Slavery was a bad thing, it still is, but there isn't any slavery now in which Britain"

Really, do you live in a bubble? Never heard of traveller tarmac gangs or Vietnamese cannabis farmers, not to mention prostitution?

You're right VD, but it's not systemic or legal.

Max, you and I might not have  known about his past but the people of Bristol; have been debating it for Ten years ''apparently''.

The current situation will have brought it to the attention of many, whereas the localised attention did not reach our ears. That is a step forward.

34 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Max, you and I might not have  known about his past but the people of Bristol; have been debating it for Ten years ''apparently''.

The current situation will have brought it to the attention of many, whereas the localised attention did not reach our ears. That is a step forward.

That's right, and in ten years nobody will know anything about him or the history which involved him. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Quite the opposite, being able to investigate, ask questions and see things in context is how you learn and appreciate. We now know a lot about Colston which we never would have if his statue wasn't there for example.

On the contrary, we've learned a lot about Colston because his statue was torn down.    I suspect few people outside Bristol had heard of him till  then, despite the statue being there since 1895.  And most inside the city will have only discovered because of the long debates about the statue (which opponents just wanted to contextualise at first but met with lack of cooperation) or because of the things named after him, like the Colston Hall.

• Like 5

The Holocaust is yearly brought to our attention, the slave trade is not so often discussed. The fact that our past involvement in the supply of African slaves to the southern states use of these people in the tobacco/cotton production is a fact that we rarely mention, we prefer to talk of the British involvement in the abolution of our past involvement. That would today be denounced as a Whitewash!

I'm not an apologist, I don't think that todays politicians should apologise for past events, but they should recognise the ongoing trickle down effect of their contribution of many years ago to the economy that we have today.

However, the vast difference between todays economy and that of the of slave days is such that there are many problems with our current economy that could be attributed to our current greed for tax avoidance than for any greed to provide cheap or free labour for our fields of  wheat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The Daily wail has got Stu’s story and the comments are so far absolutely on his side thousands liking and just very few banging the red arrow.   Disgust is being shown at the way he has been treated.   It shows Manx Radio up in a very bad way.

But you’d expect nothing else from the mail. Wonder what the comments would be like if The Guardian picked up the story?

• Like 1