Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

31 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Very true, but imagine if the 'media' of the day had exaggerated the claims of brutality and this caused a violent backlash, which led to a violent backlash, which led to....

It was the broadcast media of the day - the establised church - that suffered the brunt of the violence

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well it seems unlikely that no other UK or local media outlet bothered, but it's also a very stupid thing to give an interview to any of them under the circumstances.  Newspapers and so on are going to have their own agenda with a story and that is going to warp how Stu's side of things gets presented, whether he likes it or not.  He's better saying nothing to anybody.

I would say the quoted comments are a long way short of an interview....

On Gubay vs Drower back in 2004 the Guardian had this to say:

The collision between the two men has shed an unflattering light on the Isle of Man's attitude to free speech: it has no equivalent of the 1981 English law protecting journalists from revealing sources, and has failed to bring into force its own Human Rights Act, despite passing one three years ago under pressure from the UK.

The Isle of Man has long had a reputation as a seedy offshore tax haven.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The Guardian are tiresome with their tax haven propaganda. 

The Guardians' ethos is simply a fairer society for all.

So I can well imagine them being somewhat conflicted by this so-called story.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

I would say the quoted comments are a long way short of an interview....

Well it says:

Last night he told The Mail on Sunday the decision amounted to an ‘Orwellian attempt at mind and speech control’.

So either the MoS is lying (not unknown) or he gave them an interview.  An interview doesn't have to be a full 'story of my life' thing, though in this case he appears to have said a lot more as well.  But anything more than "I'd rather not comment at the moment, thank you", is going to be risky.

13 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It was the broadcast media of the day - the establised church - that suffered the brunt of the violence

Yes, and I guess they also had an interest in escalating things too? Cromwell's massacre at Dungannon was apparently misreported to stir things further? We still live with the consequences of both the mistreatment and the exaggeration of it. Nothing changes, one escalates the other until it becomes untenable.

Just now, Max Power said:

Yes, and I guess they also had an interest in escalating things too? Cromwell's massacre at Dungannon was apparently misreported to stir things further? We still live with the consequences of both the mistreatment and the exaggeration of it. Nothing changes, one escalates the other until it becomes untenable.

Was it in fact just a very small massacre?

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I have read that there was a military siege which was repelled militarily and broken. The claim was that the massacre of women and children didn't take place as claimed? 

There's the contentious Proclamation of Dungannon by my very distant relative Féilim Rua Ó Néill na Ceann Ard, but I don't see any record of a massacre there

Such things are normally well-documented in Ireland

11 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Could someone please tell me if Mr Maguire was the first of the callers determined to be outraged or nos 2 or 3?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think I'm right in saying he was the first and was followed by two others, he then called in later also.

The actual first caller was a bit odd in a way. A bloke that seemed to have issues (he as much said so) and went on to continue to praise Stu Peters for what a good job he was doing. Whether this first caller called is relevant to the issue at hand is not yet fully known.
So Jordan Maquire was the second caller.