Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Declan said:

They say that listening to music whilst working can be focusing for the mind. But listening to unwanted music can be stressful.

I really hated working in an office that played 3fm when they only seemed to have 20 records.

They have Radio 2 on, at least they did before, lock down, which is OK. But at least I can wear ear plugs or ear phones whenever a Queen or Whitney song comes on.

What I find with chitty-chatty radio, Radio 2 included, is that it demands attention and assumes the listener to be part of some big conversation - responding to the constant stimuli: What do we think about this? Wasn't that old pop record great? Do you remember when? Text us with your ideas. And now the traffic and travel. Up next after the relentless news, we'll be talking to someone with something to plug - or about some meaningless report which is actually PR.

And if I want to listen to music, I'll decide to consciously listen to  music and afford it that respect.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Is there room for me to be the fifth? Mind you the only good Queen is a dead one, so that shows my terrible taste in music.

I love that album. 

In fact, I love it so much I'm going to put it on right now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

Is there room for me to be the fifth? Mind you the only good Queen is a dead one, so that shows my terrible taste in music.

I'm not sure, but I think you might be legally obliged to start liking them now, at least until one of us dies or starts liking Queen.

I think it works a bit like Highlander, only with the freedom to think Brian May's a bit boring, or that  Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't go anywhere as the big prize, instead of the ability to enslave humanity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pongo said:

If they read out the Manx Forums, interspersed with pop music, I wouldn't listen to that either. But it would be roughly similar.

What if it was some kind of demented, 24-hour long Musique concrète or Skinny Puppy-like industrial affair? 

Hell, I'd take even just a theatrical recitation of the more mental posts on here over a loop of Deep Down Trauma Hounds as a regular addition to Manx Radio Breakfast, especially if one of them was that one where we all got called a "bunch of muggy cunts". 

Edited by VinnieK

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

What if it was some kind of demented, 24-hour long Musique concrète or Skinny Puppy-like industrial affair? 

Hell, I'd take even just a theatrical recitation of the more mental posts on here over a loop of Deep Down Trauma Hounds as a regular addition to Manx Radio Breakfast, especially if one of them was that one where we all got called a "bunch of muggy cunts". 

I say.... steady on that man!

12 minutes ago, woolley said:

So all of you Queenies. What do you think of Adam Lambert doing Freddie? Yes or no?

Quite impressive in my view - It's a hell of an ask just to do his vocal range (many have tried and failed including George Michael who had an excellent range himself) but he got the expressions nailed down pretty well too I thought.

The only guy I know who could comfortably handle all Freddie's stuff was Mika!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pongo said:

What I find with chitty-chatty radio, Radio 2 included, is that it demands attention and assumes the listener to be part of some big conversation - responding to the constant stimuli: What do we think about this? Wasn't that old pop record great? Do you remember when? Text us with your ideas. And now the traffic and travel. Up next after the relentless news, we'll be talking to someone with something to plug - or about some meaningless report which is actually PR.

And if I want to listen to music, I'll decide to consciously listen to  music and afford it that respect.

“You must reckon something, tell us what you reckon.”

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

#QueenBandMatters

Anyone that says otherwise, even if they claim to like all music, is (bicycle) racist.  Or something.

Sorry Mr W, but the song “ Bicycle” must rate as one of the worst songs ever, outside of Eurovision. Some Queen stuff was fantastic, but Some was dreadful .

Killer Queen and Seven seas of Rhye were superb.

Edited by Scotty
Extended the song title