Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Loved the Douglas Head. What a wonderful location. We have lost a lot of fantastic leisure venues but I actually felt personal bereavement when they shut the Head. Remember thinking at the time that if they can't make that place work they can't make anything work. I guess cold hard cash, the site was simply more valuable than the business. What a way to run a railway. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh, thought it would have been earlier than that. 

There were issues with the concert hall not being weather tight for years. Light steel frame, corrugated roof. Very noisy during rain or hail.

• Like 1

I remember sneaking in to watch a band called The Diary. Must've been '72/'73?

You're right about the weatherproofing, the roof leaked like a sieve, played havoc with band gear. Continually damp and smelly, the mould growth above the suspended ceiling was surely a health hazard. 

29 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

When did it close? I have a vague memory of going in it as a child, but I must have been very young.

By the time I started going to gigs in the late 80's it didn't have much going on. Maybe the more popular old-man's bands like GASP or Raw Deal would still draw a crowd, but whenever we went up it felt a bit like Pheonix Nights.

However, there was one memorable night - an all-day multi-band fundraiser for Hillsborough - that makes me think it must have been quite the place in it's heyday.

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

By the time I started going to gigs in the late 80's it didn't have much going on. Maybe the more popular old-man's bands like GASP or Raw Deal would still draw a crowd, but whenever we went up it felt a bit like Pheonix Nights.

However, there was one memorable night - an all-day multi-band fundraiser for Hillsborough - that makes me think it must have been quite the place in it's heyday.

I remember going there for a similar all day fundraiser in 1986 which was the last time I was there, it had been pretty much idle for a while before that. I'd moved away by the time that Hillsborough had happened. Lots of memories of Friday and Saturday nights there for several years, and working there during one summer season when they had a cabaret during the week.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Loved the Douglas Head. What a wonderful location. We have lost a lot of fantastic leisure venues but I actually felt personal bereavement when they shut the Head. Remember thinking at the time that if they can't make that place work they can't make anything work. I guess cold hard cash, the site was simply more valuable than the business. What a way to run a railway. 

Yes, rock band nights up there in the late 70's, Exile with Mike Reynolds and co. Place was always rammed. Whatever happened to the Santon Angel too?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, rock band nights up there in the late 70's, Exile with Mike Reynolds and co. Place was always rammed. Whatever happened to the Santon Angel too?

Has he not passed away?

15 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

When I was in my teens and everyone was listening to Bohemian Rhapsody, this was my answer to that. The grand European drama and romance of Sebastian was head and shoulders over the kitsch of Queen's clever but soul-less mini-opera. Cockney Rebel's early albums were better than Queen's too.

One of my favourite albums of all time , if not the most favourite. Went to Glasgow Concert Hall a couple of years ago to see Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel perform this album and “The Pyschomodo” back to back with full Orchestra and Choir.

Absolutey amazing particularly a spine tingling“Death Trip” (and of course Sebastian).

None of this Spotify listen before you buy stuff now. Shelled out £2.19 (a lot of money for a then thirteen year old) on the back of an NME review. Bargain.

• Like 3