Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I remember the Folk Club folded in the late '80s or early '90s. In the latter years I recall seeing acts in the Villiers. They used to bring over regular U.K. names and there was a festival in the early '80s (?). The Manx Jazz Club was good too and they kept going a bit longer. Saw some quite big names on the U.K. jazz scene and one or two international stars as well. 

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, rock band nights up there in the late 70's, Exile with Mike Reynolds and co. Place was always rammed. Whatever happened to the Santon Angel too?

The Santon angel is/was a lollipop man in Peel last time i saw him.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1

Never mind  Bill Nelson, did watch the Russian Truck accidents that followed?  They must be like Dilli on a bottle of Vodka!!!"!

( Sorry Dilli, hope you're well and coping with all this lockdown business. ).

3 hours ago, bankerboy said:

Fond memories of Douglas Head principally Black Mass doing Steely Dan covers and finishing every session with Freebird.  But, being a bit of a folk rocker, does anyone remember Triad at the Long Room at the Castle Mona.  Or indeed Dave Sayle’s Wednesday Folk Club further up the hill?

Yes, remember both of those. The Porthole used to have Triad and Mike and Laurie preceded early in the week by John Cretney's Disco. This transposed to the Castle Mona Long Bar around 1972ish. The Wednesday Folk Club was excellent value at the Falcon Cliff Hotel too.

3 hours ago, pongo said:

Did they ever perform here? And if so, does anyone know which line-up?

According to his biography Luke Kelly was here but long before the band was formed.

There is some great footage on Youtube of Ronnie singing with The Pogues on the Late Late Show.

I saw the Dubliners here three times, the first was organised by Vagabonds Rugby Club at the Lido and Luke Kelly was there. I remember the bouncers stopping a young Gerry Adams from dancing and shouting pro republican slogans from his table near the front! 

Luke Kelly mentioned that he had been in a talent competition at the Villa Marina pre Dubliners and didn't win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, rock band nights up there in the late 70's, Exile with Mike Reynolds and co. Place was always rammed. Whatever happened to the Santon Angel too?

I remember seeing the best drummer the Island has ever produced as percussionist for 'Exile', Tim Reynolds.

Hard and fast, kept the band together, but also played bluesy, slower numbers like 'When a Blind Man Cries' by Deep Purple & 'Circle of Hands' by Uriah Heap sympathetically too.

Backed Chris Norman from 'Smokie' on various European tours. This Island has so much real talent.

Had a real cheekiness about him, the girls in the audience seemed to like  him too!

Hope he's good.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, rock band nights up there in the late 70's, Exile with Mike Reynolds and co. 

Latterly too playing out with Thin Lizzy’s Waiting for an Alibi. What is Reynolds doing now? Last time I saw him he was selling tellies at Walton’s? He must have retired by now. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

33 minutes ago, Sentience said:

I remember seeing the best drummer the Island has ever produced as percussionist for 'Exile', Tim Reynolds.

Hard and fast, kept the band together, but also played bluesy, slower numbers like 'When a Blind Man Cries' by Deep Purple & 'Circle of Hands' by Uriah Heap sympathetically too.

Backed Chris Norman from 'Smokie' on various European tours. This Island has so much real talent.

Had a real cheekiness about him, the girls in the audience seemed to like  him too!

Hope he's good.

Was he better than Timmy McDowell? :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Latterly too playing out with Thin Lizzy’s Waiting for an Alibi. What is Reynolds doing now? Last time I saw him he was selling tellies at Walton’s? He must have retired by now. 

He's still on Manx, after broadcasting to the Island for 40 odd years. Doing 'Saturday Night Live part 2', a classic rock show between 10pm and 1am. 

He says 'Maximum music, minimum Blah Blah'.....and it certainly is! Some really impressive music mixes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Absolutely. 

Respect though for Tim Mc, nice lad with a whole world of problems taken far too early.

Yes, he was a "complex character", I have some funny memories of him - like when he took up car mechanics, leaving more on the pavement outside his house than was put back into the car.  He also started dealing in prestige number plates and was affronted when the licensing authority had the audacity to recognise the value of what they had.  

I last saw him a while before he died, still with the long hair and dark glasses.