Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

20 minutes ago, Sentience said:

He's still on Manx, after broadcasting to the Island for 40 odd years. Doing 'Saturday Night Live part 2', a classic rock show between 10pm and 1am. 

He says 'Maximum music, minimum Blah Blah'.....and it certainly is! Some really impressive music mixes.

I’m glad he’s good. He was always such a nice guy. Shame I have no interest in the current Manx Radio. 

4 hours ago, finlo said:

The Santon angel is/was a lollipop man in Peel last time i saw him.

K650 was his bike if I recall correctly, end of 70s anyway.
His niece was a well known poster on Manx forums for quite a while.

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

I saw the Dubliners here three times, the first was organised by Vagabonds Rugby Club at the Lido and Luke Kelly was there. I remember the bouncers stopping a young Gerry Adams from dancing and shouting pro republican slogans from his table near the front! 

OK, some of his friends may have run away to the Isle of Man (they did, some still here and settled of course...) but that does not mean the Isle of Man takes kindly to his sort.

Gobbing off.

Aye, someone should have told him he was on the Isle of Man.

Edited by gettafa

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, he was a "complex character", I have some funny memories of him - like when he took up car mechanics, leaving more on the pavement outside his house than was put back into the car.  He also started dealing in prestige number plates and was affronted when the licensing authority had the audacity to recognise the value of what they had.  

I last saw him a while before he died, still with the long hair and dark glasses.  

I was at his funeral service. His dark sense of humour was epic. He requested that when he was cremated he wanted to go out to Deep Purples's 'Burn.' How we laughed... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sentience said:

I remember seeing the best drummer the Island has ever produced as percussionist for 'Exile', Tim Reynolds.

Hard and fast, kept the band together, but also played bluesy, slower numbers like 'When a Blind Man Cries' by Deep Purple & 'Circle of Hands' by Uriah Heap sympathetically too.

Backed Chris Norman from 'Smokie' on various European tours. This Island has so much real talent.

Had a real cheekiness about him, the girls in the audience seemed to like  him too!

Hope he's good.

He’s still around. Even visits here once in a while

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes, remember both of those. The Porthole used to have Triad and Mike and Laurie preceded early in the week by John Cretney's Disco. This transposed to the Castle Mona Long Bar around 1972ish. The Wednesday Folk Club was excellent value at the Falcon Cliff Hotel too.

I saw the Dubliners here three times, the first was organised by Vagabonds Rugby Club at the Lido and Luke Kelly was there. I remember the bouncers stopping a young Gerry Adams from dancing and shouting pro republican slogans from his table near the front! 

Luke Kelly mentioned that he had been in a talent competition at the Villa Marina pre Dubliners and didn't win. 

Great stuff that Max. Fascinating memories of the Dubliners...and Gerry Adams !

I have an image now of the young Luke Kelly in front of the bow tied panel of judges at the Villa Marina. Reminds me of the story of the manager at the Villa who wouldn't bring the Beatles over (Just before they were huge) because he didn't think they were any good.  

Notice that nice Mr Corrin's change.org petition to re-instate Stu at MR has passed 5,000 signatures.

Have to say just how long does it take to check a transcript? Or is it like this:

"You're the regulator. You check the transcript."

"You're the employer. You check the transcript"

"You're the employer....."

Etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Great stuff that Max. Fascinating memories of the Dubliners...and Gerry Adams !

I have an image now of the young Luke Kelly in front of the bow tied panel of judges at the Villa Marina. Reminds me of the story of the manager at the Villa who wouldn't bring the Beatles over (Just before they were huge) because he didn't think they were any good.  

Or Bob Geldof (a singer in a pseudo punk band that had had a couple of minor hits) when he was organising Live Aid "We don't want Santana. Santana are shite"

(although I suppose I agree with him to an extent)

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Notice that nice Mr Corrin's change.org petition to re-instate Stu at MR has passed 5,000 signatures.

Have to say just how long does it take to check a transcript? Or is it like this:

"You're the employer. You check the transcript"

"You're the employer....."

Etc.

Not a great supporter of Farage, but this link is a fair assessment of where we are with all of this.

Surely, the CC should have said, follow your internal processes then come to us with your findings and we'll see if we agree - we dont run your business. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not a great supporter of Farage, but this link is a fair assessment of where we are with all of this.

Surely, the CC should have said, follow your internal processes then come to us with your findings and we'll see if we agree - we dont run your business. 

I suspect it's a first so no process in place to deal with it.

So over to Mr Cregeen MHK then.

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I suspect it's a first so no process in place to deal with it.

So over to Mr Cregeen MHK then.

I would suggest that even if similar hasn't happened  their regulator would expect policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the regs.  If they don't exist, you have to wonder at management. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I would suggest that even if similar hasn't happened  their regulator would expect policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the regs.  If they don't exist, you have to wonder at management. 

Agree, there should be policies in place for serious HR/compliance/employment independent reviews.

If there aren’t and you start from scratch it drags things out. That’s not good.

It'll also be subject to CommCom adverse comment.

• Like 2

Perspective on this matter is needed (but that is almost impossible in the binary and intransigent world the likes of BLM movement are dragging everyone into).

Imagine what the racist remarks would be, that we would all agree would warrant a suspension. A retort, an insult, whatever.

Then listen to the what Stu said. And got suspended.

I feel if the new Manx Radio Managing Director was more interested in doing his MD job rather than being one of the DJs and being Mr Nice Guy and joking and DJing, this matter could have been resolved with a quick straightforward discussion. Surely.

10 hours ago, Sentience said:

I remember seeing the best drummer the Island has ever produced as percussionist for 'Exile', Tim Reynolds.

Hard and fast, kept the band together, but also played bluesy, slower numbers like 'When a Blind Man Cries' by Deep Purple & 'Circle of Hands' by Uriah Heap sympathetically too.

Backed Chris Norman from 'Smokie' on various European tours. This Island has so much real talent.

Had a real cheekiness about him, the girls in the audience seemed to like  him too!

Hope he's good.

Didn't they have to change their name due to pressure from the American band Exile of ( kiss you all over) fame?