Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd be embarrassed to have James Corrins support.

Yes we know that.

But in this case he has managed to achieve nearly 1000 names a day in support of Stu Peters. That's not embarrassing laddie.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

It would be nice to see those people keen to sign basically pointless petitions - on either side of the stupid argument - to sign Barry Murphys Gas one.

Over 6,000 people signed the petition against the toilet tax and Tynwald members took not one bit of notice other than to sneer at it. Many will wonder what is the point.

Howard Quayle was a big toilet taxer btw, but of course he's everybody's darling just now.

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Over 6,000 people signed the petition against the toilet tax and Tynwald members took not one bit of notice other than to sneer at it. Many will wonder what is the point.

Howard Quayle was a big toilet taxer btw, but of course he's everybody's darling just now.

Oh I know that Gettafa, hence "basically pointless petitions". It seems like there's a new petition for something nearly every day, and having seen the response from the gov to the shit tax one (now costs you 4x what the 6000+ objected to!!) you just know that they'll ignore any others. I'd like people to sign the gas one though to show support for the guy for all his efforts as much as anything. Thats a long running campaign he's had there.

Here's a link to it http://chng.it/8fNhJLtX9C

• Like 3

On 6/19/2020 at 7:02 PM, pongo said:

Did they ever perform here? And if so, does anyone know which line-up?

According to his biography Luke Kelly was here but long before the band was formed.

There is some great footage on Youtube of Ronnie singing with The Pogues on the Late Late Show.

They played the Lido in about ‘88.

No idea which line up. We just wanted to jump around to songs that were a bit like the Pogues. Which wasn’t universally popular. 

I did a random check on the two petitions. 

The one objecting to Stu’s behaviour the ten signatures I clicked on were from Island based people. 

The pro Stu one was the first ten were from England, Wales, Spain.

It looks like Toby Young encourages his  followers to sign on Twitter a couple of days ago. None of whom will have listened to the show, or known that Stu was supposed to be the impartial moderator rather than a participant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

They played the Lido in about ‘88.

No idea which line up. We just wanted to jump around to songs that were a bit like the Pogues. Which wasn’t universally popular. 

Back in late 70s I was at an after pub house party, mainly locals and Irish hotel workers. We were oh so cool playing latest Dire Straits or whatever. Well we thought we were. One of the Irish girls proclaimed "what's this feckin' shite to be playing at a party" (....cue scratchy sound when a needle is drawn across a playing record) and put on the latest Dubliners record.

So, 50 or so teenagers jumping around to Dubliners, singing along and dancing. The Knopflers never got a look in for the rest of the night. Best house party I've ever been to.

Edited by gettafa

13 minutes ago, Declan said:

I did a random check on the two petitions. 

The one objecting to Stu’s behaviour the ten signatures I clicked on were from Island based people. 

The pro Stu one was the first ten were from England, Wales, Spain.

It looks like Toby Young encourages his  followers to sign on Twitter a couple of days ago. None of whom will have listened to the show, or known that Stu was supposed to be the impartial moderator rather than a participant. 

I read every single comment for both. There seems to be a mixture in both, I would say a bigger percentage of locals are on the pro Stu petition. Many mention listening to his programme. Some even say they don't always agree with him but support him on this matter.

In the pubs last night (ie locally) the overwhelming support was for Stu.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1