Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

No, "for that reason".  FFS, Helix. 

But why would that put them on sticky ground? They're not bound by the IOMCC decision. They are their own entity, and can make their own opinion on whether Stu's views are ones they want being broadcast in their name.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

But why would that put them on sticky ground? They're not bound by the IOMCC decision. They are their own entity, and can make their own opinion on whether Stu's views are ones they want being broadcast in their name.

They are their regulator and look at the submission from MR to the CC attached to the decision.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

They are their regulator and look at the submission from MR to the CC attached to the decision.

Are MR bound not to change their minds? I'm not sure what we're arguing over here. I haven't suggested that MR should sack Stu. Merely that if they chose to because they're not happy with his views being aired on their platform, they are entitled to as is their wont as his employer. Presumably we don't disagree on that?

Just now, HeliX said:

Are MR bound not to change their minds? I'm not sure what we're arguing over here. I haven't suggested that MR should sack Stu. Merely that if they chose to because they're not happy with his views being aired on their platform, they are entitled to as is their wont as his employer. Presumably we don't disagree on that?

Most definitely do.  You can't support a position as an employer to get yourself off the hook with your regulator, then "change your mind" and sack the employee for the same thing.  And you think I am a right wing conservative?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Most definitely do.  You can't support a position as an employer to get yourself off the hook with your regulator, then "change your mind" and sack the employee for the same thing.  And you think I am a right wing conservative?

The MR text says they don't think the broadcasting programme code was contravened. They wouldn't have to alter that opinion to still not be happy with what was said under their banner.

So far as I know I've not called you a right wing conservative nor any other political leaning :)

I read the CC report as Manx Radio have been cleared of complaints against them not the presenter. That MR did not by broacasting the show incite racial tensions. 

The report does not read as an exoneration as the headlines state. 

Edited by TomTucker
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

This should cheer some of you up. Good thing he hasn't done anything officially wrong, I don't think that being a bit of a dick is a firing offence, but I look forward to the kick off when he returns to air.

About bloody time too!

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Just to play devil's advocate, would it really be contradictory or even hypocritical if, in light of all this, they decided that they didn't want to run that kind of program in the future?

I'm not suggesting that this is or should be their position, but I wouldn't see it as particularly surprising or against the grain if, although glad no rule was broken this time, MR decided that they didn't want to carry on with the whole "look out snowflakes!" style phone-in show for much longer.  

Just now, HeliX said:

The MR text says they don't think the broadcasting programme code was contravened. They wouldn't have to alter that opinion to still not be happy with what was said under their banner.

So far as I know I've not called you a right wing conservative nor any other political leaning :)

No, but you do say that I would agree with sacking someone even though the thing you were sacking them for was found not to contravene the code under which the employer operates.  That is a very employer-centric view and pretty right wing, nay, Thatcherite.  I don't agree with sacking anyone without very, very good reason, to that extent I am a bit of a leftie.

If you have concerns about somebody's competence  then you must follow a performance remediation plan to give them the opportunity to put matters right. 

You cant just take someone's livelihood away on a whim, and that is what it would be if MR "changed their minds". 

• Like 4