Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I am delighted to announce that I will be returning to Manx Radio’s Late Show on Wednesday 1st July.

This follows a three week suspension after complaints were lodged against me for comments made by me and contributors to my programme on 3rd June. This led to an investigation by the regulator, the Isle of Man Communications Commission. Their report, published yesterday (24th June) concluded that Manx Radio had not breached the Broadcasting Code and that there was no case to answer.

I feel strongly that people should be able to discuss things rationally and respectfully – it’s the only way to resolve our differences - and worry that free speech for all could be under threat of being choked by some.

I believe that the vast majority of people are kind, considerate and open-minded, and I fully intend to ensure that their voices are heard.

But I will not expose myself, Manx Radio or anyone else to the comments and abuse of the last three weeks, and have asked the station to remove the live phone-in element of my show. It will still provide a platform for discussion and debate, but texts and emails are easier to moderate than live callers. The resources simply aren’t there to employ call screeners, producers or delay systems.

Manx Radio has acted properly and responsibly and I thank them for their faith in me. I would also like to thank the IOM Communications Commission for a thorough and fair report, and the thousands of people who have signed petitions and sent me messages of support. Of particular note is the Free Speech Union who took up my ‘cause’ and provided friendly guidance and practical advice – I would recommend them to anyone who has been told what to think or what to say.

Time for me to draw a line under this so I'm recusing myself from further comment, going forward...(etc). Lessons have been learned...(etc).

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I am delighted to announce that I will be returning to Manx Radio’s Late Show on Wednesday 1st July.

This follows a three week suspension after complaints were lodged against me for comments made by me and contributors to my programme on 3rd June. This led to an investigation by the regulator, the Isle of Man Communications Commission. Their report, published yesterday (24th June) concluded that Manx Radio had not breached the Broadcasting Code and that there was no case to answer.

I feel strongly that people should be able to discuss things rationally and respectfully – it’s the only way to resolve our differences - and worry that free speech for all could be under threat of being choked by some.

I believe that the vast majority of people are kind, considerate and open-minded, and I fully intend to ensure that their voices are heard.

But I will not expose myself, Manx Radio or anyone else to the comments and abuse of the last three weeks, and have asked the station to remove the live phone-in element of my show. It will still provide a platform for discussion and debate, but texts and emails are easier to moderate than live callers. The resources simply aren’t there to employ call screeners, producers or delay systems.

Manx Radio has acted properly and responsibly and I thank them for their faith in me. I would also like to thank the IOM Communications Commission for a thorough and fair report, and the thousands of people who have signed petitions and sent me messages of support. Of particular note is the Free Speech Union who took up my ‘cause’ and provided friendly guidance and practical advice – I would recommend them to anyone who has been told what to think or what to say.

Time for me to draw a line under this so I'm recusing myself from further comment, going forward...(etc). Lessons have been learned...(etc).

Great news Stu. Glad it has been resolved this way without losing one of MR’s best.I always supported you and hoped for this outcome :)

( hope you kept reading MF and noted which side of the fence posters sat )

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 2

Common sense prevailed in the end. A good compromise too by dropping the live phone-in element. You'd only have been a target again Stu. It's a shame it's come to that but that's the price. The station has made the right decision.

All the best to you and I think you will increase your listening figures after this. Delighted to welcome you back - I can't imagine what the last three weeks have been like for you.

• Like 7