Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well there was that coordinated follow up directly after Jordan by what I thought was his boyfriend? They seemed at one with each other.

Your not the brightest tool in the box! 

Think on - your posts could be construed by some as coming across as both racist and homophobic. It’s perception. 

Still your an expert on everything!

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I am delighted to announce that I will be returning to Manx Radio’s Late Show on Wednesday 1st July.

This follows a three week suspension after complaints were lodged against me for comments made by me and contributors to my programme on 3rd June. This led to an investigation by the regulator, the Isle of Man Communications Commission. Their report, published yesterday (24th June) concluded that Manx Radio had not breached the Broadcasting Code and that there was no case to answer.

I feel strongly that people should be able to discuss things rationally and respectfully – it’s the only way to resolve our differences - and worry that free speech for all could be under threat of being choked by some.

I believe that the vast majority of people are kind, considerate and open-minded, and I fully intend to ensure that their voices are heard.

But I will not expose myself, Manx Radio or anyone else to the comments and abuse of the last three weeks, and have asked the station to remove the live phone-in element of my show. It will still provide a platform for discussion and debate, but texts and emails are easier to moderate than live callers. The resources simply aren’t there to employ call screeners, producers or delay systems.

Manx Radio has acted properly and responsibly and I thank them for their faith in me. I would also like to thank the IOM Communications Commission for a thorough and fair report, and the thousands of people who have signed petitions and sent me messages of support. Of particular note is the Free Speech Union who took up my ‘cause’ and provided friendly guidance and practical advice – I would recommend them to anyone who has been told what to think or what to say.

Time for me to draw a line under this so I'm recusing myself from further comment, going forward...(etc). Lessons have been learned...(etc).

So very pleased for you Stu, but not just for you, I am  heartened at the triumph of open and rational debate.  

If you scroll back through this debate, you will see that there was good debate between sides who were polarised at the start, but in the main, there has been a respectful and good humoured exchange.  (Barring some numpties, of course). 

Long may that continue. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So very pleased for you Stu, but not just for you, I am  heartened at the triumph of open and rational debate.  

If you scroll back through this debate, you will see that there was good debate between sides who were polarised at the start, but in the main, there has been a respectful and good humoured exchange.  (Barring some numpties, of course). 

Long may that continue. 

This thread has been pretty good, all things considered.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I am delighted to announce that I will be returning to Manx Radio’s Late Show on Wednesday 1st July.

This follows a three week suspension after complaints were lodged against me for comments made by me and contributors to my programme on 3rd June. This led to an investigation by the regulator, the Isle of Man Communications Commission. Their report, published yesterday (24th June) concluded that Manx Radio had not breached the Broadcasting Code and that there was no case to answer.

I feel strongly that people should be able to discuss things rationally and respectfully – it’s the only way to resolve our differences - and worry that free speech for all could be under threat of being choked by some.

I believe that the vast majority of people are kind, considerate and open-minded, and I fully intend to ensure that their voices are heard.

But I will not expose myself, Manx Radio or anyone else to the comments and abuse of the last three weeks, and have asked the station to remove the live phone-in element of my show. It will still provide a platform for discussion and debate, but texts and emails are easier to moderate than live callers. The resources simply aren’t there to employ call screeners, producers or delay systems.

Manx Radio has acted properly and responsibly and I thank them for their faith in me. I would also like to thank the IOM Communications Commission for a thorough and fair report, and the thousands of people who have signed petitions and sent me messages of support. Of particular note is the Free Speech Union who took up my ‘cause’ and provided friendly guidance and practical advice – I would recommend them to anyone who has been told what to think or what to say.

Time for me to draw a line under this so I'm recusing myself from further comment, going forward...(etc). Lessons have been learned...(etc).

What are we going to do now? Although we have come round full circle several times in this thread, it's been a good exercise if nothing else. Glad it's all ended fairly and hopefully amicably Stu. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Your not the brightest tool in the box! 

Think on - your posts could be construed by some as coming across as both racist and homophobic. It’s perception. 

Still your an expert on everything!

Racist? Homophobic? 

How exactly? It's a very disturbing quantum leap you've made there.

Where did I say there was anything wrong with a bloke having a boyfriend? Also where did I insult his racial origins?

And it's the sharpest tool in the tool box.  Not brightest.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Was that your idea Stu or is that basically Manx Radio telling you it's being dropped?

I wouldn't bank on getting an answer to that. But if it was Stu's idea, I applaud it. The boy is learning. Life is too short to invite aggravation.

• Thanks 1