Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

29 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Morning!!

LIVERPOOL WON THE LEAGUE!!

I have a hangover.

Who cares about minority sports like football....?

It's looking more and more likely that the three match test series England vs West Indies will go ahead.

Edited by P.K.
Wierd

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Who cares about minority sports like football....?

It's looking more and more likely that the three match test series England vs West Indies will go ahead.

If the cricket authorities had any sense they'd get it on free tv, give SKY some money back and let everyone watch.

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Can I just interrupt to point out that LIVERPOOL WON THE FUCKING LEAGUE!!

Thanks, carry on.

Well, a bit like winning a race after it has to be stopped half way through.

Anyway, they only took 30 years to get there. :flowers:

On 6/25/2020 at 1:34 PM, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That bears no resemblance to what I responded to in relation to an owner and employee not getting on.

Just wanted to revisit this part of the discussion regarding the dismissal of the two individuals in Burnley and my assertion that a fair dismissal could be made on the grounds of "some other substantial reason".

I have now had the opportunity to identify specific cases which back up what I have said.  These cases are;

GM Gorfin v Distressed Gentlefolks Aid Association [1973] - In this case Gorfin was believe to be the cause of dissension among other employees.  The matron of the home wished "to restore harmony among her staff which was essential to run the home successfully".  After following a fair procedure Gorfin was successfully dismissed using SOSR.

Treganowan v Robert Knee & Co Ltd [1975] - Treganowan caused a clash of personalities by continuing to discuss her "way of life" in terms of her relationships.  This let to a tense atmosphere in the office and the tribunal felt that her dismissal was reasonable.

If you want something a bit different have a look at Pay v Lancashire Probation Service [2004].  

Basically as long as the reason is substantial and a fair procedure has been followed then employers can dismiss for a clash of personalities.

40 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Just wanted to revisit this part of the discussion regarding the dismissal of the two individuals in Burnley and my assertion that a fair dismissal could be made on the grounds of "some other substantial reason".

I have now had the opportunity to identify specific cases which back up what I have said.  These cases are;

GM Gorfin v Distressed Gentlefolks Aid Association [1973] - In this case Gorfin was believe to be the cause of dissension among other employees.  The matron of the home wished "to restore harmony among her staff which was essential to run the home successfully".  After following a fair procedure Gorfin was successfully dismissed using SOSR.

Treganowan v Robert Knee & Co Ltd [1975] - Treganowan caused a clash of personalities by continuing to discuss her "way of life" in terms of her relationships.  This let to a tense atmosphere in the office and the tribunal felt that her dismissal was reasonable.

If you want something a bit different have a look at Pay v Lancashire Probation Service [2004].  

Basically as long as the reason is substantial and a fair procedure has been followed then employers can dismiss for a clash of personalities.

In practice it very very rarely happens though.

Slippery slope to attempt to sack someone with that reason.

11 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

In practice it very very rarely happens though.

Let me guess...

You are basing that on the age of the cases I have cited?  

Those are the leading cases that set out judgements which every Employment Tribunal since would refer to when considering judgements.  Only a small number of cases ever end up in an Employment Tribunal and even then not every case is published.