Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

I don't recall ever claiming it was reducible to one slogan.

I never said you did. I was wondering how much you'd looked into the 'organisations' background or not. The concept of Black Lives Matter I very much agree with, no sensible person would think otherwise but it doesn't stop there does it? Behind the lettering is an identitarian politicised group intent on havoc. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Personally I think he should've gone after the autistic comments. But YMMV.

He did not say anything denigratory about autism or the autistic in general - why would he? - and, again, people have made more of an incidental comment than the substance that was there. I think at the time (although it is a long while ago) it was more about disruption caused to others present on one particular occasion in one particular establishment. Did he even know that the person was autistic? Can you see the difference? He has been made out to be a hater of the disabled which is just as crackers as being made out as a hater of Manx milk, or as racist in the latest storm.

If you are speaking unscripted on the radio for hours and hours over many years aren't you bound to put your foot in it now and again in the eyes of the easily offended? Particularly if people are throwing banana skins in your path. I'm pretty sure that I would, although I really couldn't be arsed doing it in the first place. Far too much potential for grief.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, quilp said:

But you didn't listen to but a few moments of the interview, nor, I imagine, read their statement so how would you know..? 

No need to listen, far better to just chunter on...

Just now, quilp said:

I never said you did. I was wondering how much you'd looked into the 'organisations' background or not. The concept of Black Lives Matter I very much agree with, no sensible person would think otherwise but it doesn't stop there does it? Behind the lettering is an identitarian politicised group intent on havoc. 

I'm guessing you mean identity politics rather than identitarian? Unless there's a new kind of identitarian different from the right-wing racist one I'm aware of.

I've looked into a fair amount of the background, and agree with most of it (but certainly not all). I'm a Marxist and support police defunding, so no surprise that a lot of it aligns with my views anyway.

I'd love for us to get to a point where collectivism isn't important, because that'll be real progress. But I also think that until we're there, collectivism is a necessary non-ideal situation.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

He did not say anything denigratory about autism or the autistic in general - why would he? - and, again, people have made more of an incidental comment than the substance that was there. I think at the time (although it is a long while ago) it was more about disruption caused to others present on one particular occasion in one particular establishment. Did he even know that the person was autistic? Can you see the difference? He has been made out to be a hater of the disabled which is just as crackers as being made out as a hater of Manx milk, or as racist in the latest storm.

If you are speaking unscripted on the radio for hours and hours over many years aren't you bound to put your foot in it now and again in the eyes of the easily offended? Particularly if people are throwing banana skins in your path. I'm pretty sure that I would, although I really couldn't be arsed doing it in the first place. Far too much potential for grief.

The exact wording, when he knew he was talking about an autistic child, was "you shouldn't inflict them on others".

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I was going to think long and hard about a response to that but honestly I really don’t give a shit about even reading about BLM any more. It’s boring, it’s repetitive, and it’s childish in it’s use if silly memes and cartoons. It’s a millennials wet dream of hyperbole, bullshit, fake news, brainless activism, and white middle class guilt and general muppetry. 

well said Sultan...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Ok Ok, can we now forget about LFC for another 20 years until they do something awsome again?

European champions

World club champions

You were saying?

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'm guessing you mean identity politics rather than identitarian? Unless there's a new kind of identitarian different from the right-wing racist one I'm aware of.

I've looked into a fair amount of the background, and agree with most of it (but certainly not all). I'm a Marxist and support police defunding, so no surprise that a lot of it aligns with my views anyway.

I'd love for us to get to a point where collectivism isn't important, because that'll be real progress. But I also think that until we're there, collectivism is a necessary non-ideal situation.

I was a Marxist too when I was a teenager. Then I found out that beyond all the rhetoric, it didn't work. We aren't going there or anywhere near.

Just now, woolley said:

I was a Marxist too when I was a teenager. Then I found out that beyond all the rhetoric, it didn't work. We aren't going there or anywhere near.

Funnily, I was a right-wing capitalist as a teenager. The older I get and the more I earn the more I feel that capitalism is a system that's solely designed to increase wealth inequality.

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The exact wording, when he knew he was talking about an autistic child, was "you shouldn't inflict them on others".

I found this posted in MF way back from the man himself. Fair comment, and a perfectly respectable opinion:

Wow, I thought MF was a tough crowd until I posted on THAT group.

For the avoidance of doubt I have absolutely nothing against children with any physical or mental challenges, my initial post was about disruptive children in a restaurant and autism only became an issue as the thread went south. I think that the parents of children with any significant issues are heroes and have said that, but the mob is too busy braying to listen.

It would have been easy to delete my post, but that would have been dishonourable as I still feel strongly that parents of disruptive children in public places (shop, supermarket, cafe or wherever) need to control their children or remove them until the drama is resolved. That is all. It's clearly an old-fashioned view not shared by most people today who say things like 'kids will be kids'. I was taught from being a toddler how to behave in public and so were my own children, but maybe nobody cares any more.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

I found this posted in MF way back from the man himself. Fair comment, and a perfectly respectable opinion:

Wow, I thought MF was a tough crowd until I posted on THAT group.

For the avoidance of doubt I have absolutely nothing against children with any physical or mental challenges, my initial post was about disruptive children in a restaurant and autism only became an issue as the thread went south. I think that the parents of children with any significant issues are heroes and have said that, but the mob is too busy braying to listen.

It would have been easy to delete my post, but that would have been dishonourable as I still feel strongly that parents of disruptive children in public places (shop, supermarket, cafe or wherever) need to control their children or remove them until the drama is resolved. That is all. It's clearly an old-fashioned view not shared by most people today who say things like 'kids will be kids'. I was taught from being a toddler how to behave in public and so were my own children, but maybe nobody cares any more.

Wonder why he found it so difficult to just say "It was insensitive to refer to it as inflicting them on others". That's all that would've been needed, in my view. Instead it's another long lack of any indication that he realised any wrongdoing...