Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I think I ought to shut up now, because what will issue forth will be interpreted as racist. However,  I would just mention Rachel Glover who begged companies to sponsor her sporting endeavours, with some success, and now she has been instrumental in helping the island put in place the covid testing lab.  

She is someone to be proud of. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Nellie said:

Well, just suppose you were quite a high profile local sportswoman, who has been to the Island Games, the Commonwealth Youth Games, the World Youth Athletics Championships, and been on an all expenses paid scholarship at an American University. 

Manx Radio have supported, and reported, your career, over a long period, and have often given you a platform to promote yourself, and your achievements. Now you accuse them of racism, and want to get one of their staff sacked.

Furthermore, local businesses, and sponsors have funded you, to the tunes of many £10,000's and the Manx community has  supported your Gofundme appeal. The Manx Taxpayer has funded your costly medical treatment.

Perhaps you'd want to remain anonymous, as you're concerned, that, if challenged, you might have difficulty demonstrating how you'd been in any way disadvantaged, by anything.

I happily contributed to this lassie's Gofundme appeal a few years ago, thinking she seemed like a decent and valuable member of our community. I am sure she still is, but she has all the hallmarks of someone who has been duly brainwashed at university. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I happily contributed to this lassie's Gofundme appeal a few years ago, thinking she seemed like a decent and valuable member of our community. I am sure she still is, but she has all the hallmarks of someone who has been duly brainwashed at university. 

It is a strange world though, when you complain that you didn't break the law of a country you are visiting because you are black. (Comments re going to clubs in Georgia while underage.)

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:15 PM, woolley said:

Every one of them that I have ever known has been batshit crazy. Just a selection: drunkard (several), criminal, woman addict, jailbird, attempted suicide. I don't think it was anything to do with dealing with me for any of them.

I concur - My first experience of an accountant was my fathers accountant, he used to move into our house for a couple of weeks and lock himself in the bedroom and food/ drink was left outside the door on a tray. (It was en-suite!) I was very young at the time and used to ask "who is the strange man in his pyjamas"

My own accountants have not been that bad but I suppose "strange" would cover them. Must be the mind numbing work?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is a strange world though, when you complain that you didn't break the law of a country you are visiting because you are black. (Comments re going to clubs in Georgia while underage.)

Well I'm sure that when you were a lass you never dreamed of having a drink when you were under 18 (and it's 21 in Georgia).  No doubt all those nights at the Douglas Head were fuelled only on Britvic orange juice.  But you actually missed the point that she was making, which was to illustrate white privilege. 

Her white colleagues could normally expect to have their fake ID accepted and even if they were turned away there would be no consequences.   Her black colleagues (and herself as someone mixed race) would have their credentials more closely scrutinised and might find themselves arrested.  So it simply wasn't worth her risking it whereas a white person in the same situation would probably take the risk. 

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I'm sure that when you were a lass you never dreamed of having a drink when you were under 18 (and it's 21 in Georgia).  No doubt all those nights at the Douglas Head were fuelled only on Britvic orange juice.  But you actually missed the point that she was making, which was to illustrate white privilege. 

Her white colleagues could normally expect to have their fake ID accepted and even if they were turned away there would be no consequences.   Her black colleagues (and herself as someone mixed race) would have their credentials more closely scrutinised and might find themselves arrested.  So it simply wasn't worth her risking it whereas a white person in the same situation would probably take the risk. 

Lager and lime, actually.

I didn't miss her point, I just thought it was a bit daft to complain about not being able to break the law.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Lager and lime, actually.

I didn't miss her point, I just thought it was a bit daft to complain about not being able to break the law.

I don't think she was complaining so much (athletes tend not to be big drinkers anyway) as illustrating the sort extra pressure black people sometimes have in situations that white people don't.

(The 70s were really the Lager and Lime Years, weren't they?)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think she was complaining so much (athletes tend not to be big drinkers anyway) as illustrating the sort extra pressure black people sometimes have in situations that white people don't.

(The 70s were really the Lager and Lime Years, weren't they?)

Urg, horrible memories coming back to me...

I'm white but I wouldn't bother my arse visiting any of the southern US states. Leave the redneck, god-bothering, gun-toting head-bangers to it. I pity the black people who live there. I have an American friend (white) who is a New Yorker. He described a recent, unavoidable, business trip to Mississippi as a chilling, disturbing, uber-parody (that wasn't) of southern prejudice; to him as an east coast 'liberal', black people, gay people, women, the lot. The southern media routinely refer to anyone not of their ilk as 'leftists'. It's like England at the time of Cromwell - anyone who was a Roman Catholic then was automatically considered an enemy of the state. In the southern US anyone who is not a white, male, Republican is 'the enemy'. The educational 'attainments' of schools in the southern US tell you much as well.

• Like 2