Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think she was complaining so much (athletes tend not to be big drinkers anyway) as illustrating the sort extra pressure black people sometimes have in situations that white people don't.

(The 70s were really the Lager and Lime Years, weren't they?)

They most certainly were!  Or, if you were pushing it, a brandy and Babycham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The southern states are incredible to visit. I wouldn't know where to start to convince you why you should; I'd be here for the rest of the day. You've got a stereo-typical view of them Uhtred that surprises me for such an intelligent poster as your good self. 

It’s absolutely true SMUJ that I’m relying upon what I read and what I hear of the southern states, as I’ve never visited. But those of my friends/acquaintances who have, and who’s opinions I’d consider to be reliable, tell a pretty grim story of perpetual racial tension, prejudice and suspicion of outsiders. As someone with a deep and abiding dislike of organised religion (and zealotry of any kind) I also note with caution Teapot’s comment about them being ‘crazy religious’.

I accept without reservation though SMUJ that the only way I can speak with authority is to experience the place myself.

15 minutes ago, Declan said:

You used to be able to buy it as pop in newsagents. Maybe it was just lager and lime flavour. 

I think it was just the flavour. I remember some of us tried to get drunk on it. A bit like celery uses more calories to eat than it provides, we found the only effect was peeing out more than we drank. 

20 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

It’s absolutely true SMUJ that I’m relying upon what I read and what I hear of the southern states, as I’ve never visited. But those of my friends/acquaintances who have, and who’s opinions I’d consider to be reliable, tell a pretty grim story of perpetual racial tension, prejudice and suspicion of outsiders. As someone with a deep and abiding dislike of organised religion (and zealotry of any kind) I also note with caution Teapot’s comment about them being ‘crazy religious’.

I accept without reservation though SMUJ that the only way I can speak with authority is to experience the place myself.

It's worth going just for the food.

• Thanks 1

We flew in and out of Atlanta when we did a driving tour of the southern states. 

Did a tour of the Federal Reserve while in Atlanta and I still haven’t forgiven them from showing our currency in a “funny money from around the world” display. 

• Haha 2

FFS “The People of Colour” (sounds like a 1970s Dance Troupe) have now written to the Communications Commission.

Full letter reproduced here:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56520

This is nothing short of targeted victimization by people looking for heads on spikes. This movement is ugly and dangerous the way it’s been hijacked and it is most certainly very coordinated in its attack mechanisms. Fair play to the football clubs telling them to sling their toxic hook. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

This is nothing short of disgusting targeted victimization by people looking for heads on spikes. This movement is ugly and dangerous the way it’s been hijacked and it is most certainly very coordinated in its attack mechanisms. 

"..head on spike..." is not an appropriate metaphor in these type of matters. I well remember the  riots in the 1980s

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

"..head on spike..." is not an appropriate metaphor in these type of matters. I well remember the  riots in the 1980s

I really don’t care anymore. I’m sick of trying to work out the silly nuances and acceptable phrases preferred by this joke movement. It started off in a very valid way after that disgusting murder in the US but since then it’s been hijacked and honestly shouldn’t be given any credence as a legitimate movement anymore. Even the football clubs have binned them off as it’s turned toxic and nasty and more than a little sad. 

Edited by Mr Newbie