Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

25 minutes ago, piebaps said:

They're like fucking nazis. Do as we say or else! There's a shaming tweet doing the rounds which is having a go at 6 F1 drivers who didn't "take a knee" yesterday! 

Fair play to those six.  I wish more footballers would do it rather than being forced to.

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, that's not true.  MR offered a platform for them to debate the issues, but as you will see that was rejected in the open letter as being tokenism. 

Well I don't know.  According to the letter: Playing ’black’ songs on the radio and participating in Instagram challenges is not an adequate response. 

So it may simply be that they ran up against Brindley's idea of 'serious' programming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I don't know.  According to the letter: Playing ’black’ songs on the radio and participating in Instagram challenges is not an adequate response. 

So it may simply be that they ran up against Brindley's idea of 'serious' programming.

This is how they responded:-

"We had previously been in discussion with Manx Radio in regards to how we can work together to tackle racism and discrimination within society, and part of that plan was a series of shows.

However, we will not be used as a tokenistic gesture to divert attention from the deeper systemic issues rooted within their organisation."

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

"We had previously been in discussion with Manx Radio in regards to how we can work together to tackle racism and discrimination within society, and part of that plan was a series of shows.

However, we will not be used as a tokenistic gesture to divert attention from the deeper systemic issues rooted within their organisation."

Oh I saw that.  I was just wondering from the oddly specific remark I quoted whether Manx Radio's idea of a serious discussion about tackling racism was to play a Stevie Wonder record and think they've solved everything.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh I saw that.  I was just wondering from the oddly specific remark I quoted whether Manx Radio's idea of a serious discussion about tackling racism was to play a Stevie Wonder record and think they've solved everything.

Well, the first paragraph seems to indicate something of more substance than a Barry-White-fest.

The second paragraph could be argued not to be an out of hand rejection, but it does not indicate a willingness for dialogue. 

POC IOM says it is an inclusive organisation, yet I see on FB that there was a Zoom meeting yesterday only open to people of colour, ie non-whites.  Given that a lot of their support came from white youngsters, was that not a bit discriminatory?  Surely, all their supporters should have engaged in it?  Bit of a kick in the teeth is it not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Without actually talking to MR they surely have no idea what was being offered? It's a local entertainment and news/information station, taking up an evening or afternoon with black issues will probably only be of interest to black people I would imagine? If it became a platform for telling white people how evil they are and how privileged they are, it's just going to drive a wedge between everyone. 

Black music gets the same exposure as white music so I can't see any advantage in having a black only music programme, although there are good reasons to do so for pure musical talent?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, the first paragraph seems to indicate something of more substance than a Barry-White-fest.

The second paragraph could be argued not to be an out of hand rejection, but it does not indicate a willingness for dialogue. 

POC IOM says it is an inclusive organisation, yet I see on FB that there was a Zoom meeting yesterday only open to people of colour, ie non-whites.  Given that a lot of their support came from white youngsters, was that not a bit discriminatory?  Surely, all their supporters should have engaged in it?  Bit of a kick in the teeth is it not?

Well the first paragraph was about what they hoped to emerge, and there may have been quite a lot of dialogue anyway, given the time since this all started, so they may certainly have been willing to talk.  But whether they were getting much sense out of Manx Radio is another matter.  Given the relentless dumbing down of current affairs that everyone has been complaining about in the station's output over the last year or so, I suspect that what they were offered as a format may have been no better than the multi-headed banter plus records  that seems to be the current MR approach to everything.

It's fairly common for people in a certain interest group to have exclusive meetings within a more inclusive organisation.  The most obvious example is women-only meetings.  Presumably the idea is prevent the sort of officious white person, who knows just what non-white people experience and should do about it, from turning up and dominating the conversation.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well the first paragraph was about what they hoped to emerge, and there may have been quite a lot of dialogue anyway, given the time since this all started, so they may certainly have been willing to talk.  But whether they were getting much sense out of Manx Radio is another matter.  Given the relentless dumbing down of current affairs that everyone has been complaining about in the station's output over the last year or so, I suspect that what they were offered as a format may have been no better than the multi-headed banter plus records  that seems to be the current MR approach to everything.

It's fairly common for people in a certain interest group to have exclusive meetings within a more inclusive organisation.  The most obvious example is women-only meetings.  Presumably the idea is prevent the sort of officious white person, who knows just what non-white people experience and should do about it, from turning up and dominating the conversation.

Yes, it is all conjecture, of course.  However, to exclude people who have supported your cause from discussions at the nascent stage of establishing an organisation is divisive, surely? 

What I would really like to see is concrete objectives roughly following the SMART model.  

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Given that a lot of their support came from white youngsters, was that not a bit discriminatory?  Surely, all their supporters should have engaged in it?  Bit of a kick in the teeth is it not?

When (well....if) BLM get what they ultimately desire, the silly little white girls and boys will still get eaten, but just eaten last. 

eta:

metaphorically speaking that is

Edited by gettafa

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Lol.

They ask for something.   They get it.  Then they accused MR of tokenism.  Jesus wept.

What were they expecting? Half the airtime to be given over to content that meets their agenda?

The truth is very few people have any interest in their agenda.   There isn't an enormous racial prejudice issue in the island and any small element their might be won't be resolved by radio.

Interestingly the private enterprise radio stations have not seen this as an opportunity.   I wonder why?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, it is all conjecture, of course.  However, to exclude people who have supported your cause from discussions at the nascent stage of establishing an organisation is divisive, surely? 

What I would really like to see is concrete objectives roughly following the SMART model.  

I think it depends how much the others are excluded.  A meeting or two isn't going to make much of a difference and may be helpful in getting less vociferous members to contribute and give them confidence.

You're right about concrete objectives of course, though I get the impression that the various groups that have emerged out of the whole BLM movement are not happy to settle for the usual sort of token gestures of the lighting up the Tower of Refuge type.  Which is probably why they are unpopular is some quarters.

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The role of white people in black-dominated organisations can be highly ideological. Ever heard of Steve Biko? Also, since at least 90%, if not more, of the people attending the BLM march on Douglas Promenade were white, it does seem a little odd to reserve an internal elite determined purely by race.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it depends how much the others are excluded.  A meeting or two isn't going to make much of a difference and may be helpful in getting less vociferous members to contribute and give them confidence.

You're right about concrete objectives of course, though I get the impression that the various groups that have emerged out of the whole BLM movement are not happy to settle for the usual sort of token gestures of the lighting up the Tower of Refuge type.  Which is probably why they are unpopular is some quarters.

Did you say Some quarters ?

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You're right about concrete objectives of course, though I get the impression that the various groups that have emerged out of the whole BLM movement are not happy to settle for the usual sort of token gestures of the lighting up the Tower of Refuge type.  Which is probably why they are ulnpopular is some quarters.

No, probably not.  Perhaps one objective would be to obtain professional advice on how to promote themselves and their ideals, so they are able to.present well and be taken seriously  rather than dismissed as slightly hysterical.  Then to plan to have interviews with all IOM media based on a clear mission statement, by a quality spokesperson who can clearly and calmly convey their message.  Then, perhaps, to offer coaching in latent racism to commercial and government organisations.   Also, offer guidance to POCs on how to react when they experience racism no matter how passive. 

That way they will gain audience and credibility.

• Like 2

The KKK have, of course, opened up their meetings to Black People in the interests of diversity. Their soulful chanting was a charming addition to our White mumblings, said a spokesman, although, a spokeswoman was to later repeat this for inclusion reasons.

Last years Tory conference was opened up to members of Momentum to share their platform.

• Haha 1