Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Howard Quayle is on Mannin Line just now.

He has used the phrase 'crash and burn' a number of times in just a few minutes. That phrase is one used very successfully by previous Chief Minister Allan Bell to get himself out of a spot, and also when he was talking bollocks.

It's a good phrase, a simple one, a scary one etc, and the spin doctor who gave it to Allan Bell is obviously still has influence in the Cabinet Office.

Crash and burn, yessir, crash and burn.

Oh, and Brigadoon. We can't stay like Brigadoon.

I'm sick of hearing it already. Someone has surely fed this one to Howard and he clearly likes it. It has a bit of a semi-intellectual touch to it because it refers to a black and white film and only intellectules like them

Edited to add:

Not black and white - see below

It is a scary phrase, attributed to mess room banter in the air force to describe the implications of losing a dogfight.

I always suspect, however, that the comms bods writing every word that our great leaders speak should actually type 'slash and burn' which is a better analogy in the context what is being talked about.

• Like 1

Yes, 'slash and burn' is used in economics and was lifted from some farming process. I couldn't help look it up when Allan Bell kept using it. We have a vague thought about what the phrase must mean. Allan Bell loved it because it sounds drastic like something you really, really don't want to do. Whatever it is.

Howard and his spin doctors are great value though. Occasional Latin phrases, the misplaced homily and of course the hyperbowl.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gettafa said:

Howard Quayle is on Mannin Line just now.

He has used the phrase 'crash and burn' a number of times in just a few minutes. That phrase is one used very successfully by previous Chief Minister Allan Bell to get himself out of a spot, and also when he was talking bollocks.

It's a good phrase, a simple one, a scary one etc, and the spin doctor who gave it to Allan Bell is obviously still has influence in the Cabinet Office.

Crash and burn, yessir, crash and burn.

Oh, and Brigadoon. We can't stay like Brigadoon.

I'm sick of hearing it already. Someone has surely fed this one to Howard and he clearly likes it. It has a bit of a semi-intellectual touch to it because it refers to a black and white film and only intellectules like them

Edited to add:

Not black and white - see below

Really, Big H was at the top of his game at lunch time.   Spoke well.  Dispelled fake news.  

I do enjoy a touch of the old "dismissive" tone to idiocy too.  There's a lot of that about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He was ok. It's been a hard time for the lad and I would agree he is at the top of his game.

He said we were in a fantastic position. An Island in the middle of the Irish Sea with over 20 deaths and more than 300 cases of Covid-19 tested for. Hardly 10 out of 10.

I do realise it is difficult and things could have been much worse, and it has been hard work for all involved. 

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

He was ok. It's been a hard time for the lad and I would agree he is at the top of his game.

He said we were in a fantastic position. An Island in the middle of the Irish Sea with over 20 deaths and more than 300 cases of Covid-19 tested for. Hardly 10 out of 10.

I do realise it is difficult and things could have been much worse, and it has been hard work for all involved. 

Less than half a percent of the population infected in a global pandemic seems OK no?

The deaths were tragic but in reality outside Abbotswood we got away with very very low numbers.  Now I know we'll have the "one death is three too many" brigade but their views will need to be balanced off with the wider implications to many others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gettafa said:

Yes, 'slash and burn' is used in economics and was lifted from some farming process. I couldn't help look it up when Allan Bell kept using it. We have a vague thought about what the phrase must mean. Allan Bell loved it because it sounds drastic like something you really, really don't want to do. Whatever it is.

Howard and his spin doctors are great value though. Occasional Latin phrases, the misplaced homily and of course the hyperbowl.

It's the medical term for cystitis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Less than half a percent of the population infected in a global pandemic seems OK no?

The deaths were tragic but in reality outside Abbotswood we got away with very very low numbers.  Now I know we'll have the "one death is three too many" brigade but their views will need to be balanced off with the wider implications to many others.

I don't want to sound overly churlish, but the newspapers were full of letters begging the borders be closed, the TT to be cancelled etc.

But yeah, the boy done good.

Sort of. Eventually.

Go out and get pissed and that, and while Boris shakes hands in hospitals I'll just snuggle up to Davie in front of the cameras.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

I don't want to sound overly churlish, but the newspapers were full of letters begging the borders be closed, the TT to be cancelled etc.

There were an equal number saying it would be ridiculous to cancel the TT, close borders, etc. Go back to the start of the coronavirus threads here - they’re an interesting store of people’s opinions at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

But yeah, the boy done good.

Sort of. Eventually.

Go out and get pissed and that, and while Boris shakes hands in hospitals I'll just snuggle up to Davie in front of the cameras.

Big H and his colleagues are in a no win situation.    No matter what decisions they make parts of the population will agree and parts will disagree.  

There's a lot of pressure there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

There were an equal number saying it would be ridiculous to cancel the TT, close borders, etc. Go back to the start of the coronavirus threads here - they’re an interesting store of people’s opinions at the time. 

There was a public petition begging Quayle to close the borders

People did ask for the TT not to be cancelled but I don' think they petitioned Tynwald

23 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

It is a scary phrase, attributed to mess room banter in the air force to describe the implications of losing a dogfight.

I always suspect, however, that the comms bods writing every word that our great leaders speak should actually type 'slash and burn' which is a better analogy in the context what is being talked about.

As soon as I heard Quayle use the term I thought 'You mean slash and burn' (Bell attempted to copyright that). But who among us remains startled by Quayle's failure to command his first language?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, gettafa said:

Yes, 'slash and burn' is used in economics and was lifted from some farming process.

You may get a letter from William the Conqueror's lawyers suggesting that you attribute it to him following his 'harrying of the north' in the late 11th century!

• Haha 1