Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, WTF said:

once they get rid of the ridiculous rules about the design of leccy bikes things will improve.  having to have a conventional drive to the rear wheel is killing it, the wheel should be the motor, the final drive is just costing power to the rear wheel and mah from the battery. and they could also be 2 wheel drive???

isn't that what guy martin spotted straight away......

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Had a quick ride on an electric TT bike a few years ago. Awesome - although admittedly I'm not very good on motorbikes. I have no real interest in TT but I think the electric bikes are here to stay and will improve every year. And a full lap is no mean feat at full throttle and up a big hill - even the superbikes have to stop to refuel after a couple of laps or so I think. I agree that they lack character - same with the Formula E races - despite the hype they're pretty dull.

you should be more worried about that awful tt radio, i have heard better pirates than that, an absolute embarrassment to the whole island been broadcast around the world...... 

I think that they also need to look at getting to the point that the race is two laps as ignoring issues such as cost & limited number of designs the two biggest issues for me at present with regard to electric vehicles are range and charging time. Living in the IoM an electric car would be perfect for me and charging would not be an issue but occasionally I take my car off Island and I would need it to have a comfortable range of say 250 miles between charges.

I appreciate that improving batteries is ongoing but I think cracking that is probably the key to the future of electric vehicles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

I think that they also need to look at getting to the point that the race is two laps as ignoring issues such as cost & limited number of designs the two biggest issues for me at present with regard to electric vehicles are range and charging time. Living in the IoM an electric car would be perfect for me and charging would not be an issue but occasionally I take my car off Island and I would need it to have a comfortable range of say 250 miles between charges.

I appreciate that improving batteries is ongoing but I think cracking that is probably the key to the future of electric vehicles.

Tesla's are managing 300+ miles between charges now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Phat Tog said:

Biggest question perhaps is whether electric is the way forward.  I've seen conflicting reports about the long term availability of lithium, one of which said it was a more finite resource than oil.  It's a nasty & destructive mining process and I also read somewhere that the USA will not recycle dead batteries because it isn't profitable...

(Sorry for going way off topic - perhaps this needs a thread of its own)

The next generation mightnot be using metals. Some of the new gels look encouraging.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, woody2 said:

you should be more worried about that awful tt radio, i have heard better pirates than that, an absolute embarrassment to the whole island been broadcast around the world...... 

Of course you and the usual suspects here will dismiss out of hand the work that goes into covering the TT, the races either end and the other sporting events taking place at the same time. But I see the crippling workload shouldered, the necessary compromises made and the plaudits from all around the world during and after every TT and know you're wrong.

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Of course you and the usual suspects here will dismiss out of hand the work that goes into covering the TT, the races either end and the other sporting events taking place at the same time. But I see the crippling workload shouldered, the necessary compromises made and the plaudits from all around the world during and after every TT and know you're wrong.

its hard work because they haven't got a clue what they are doing, the ads blasting out without warning, listen to the nw200 if you want to see how it should be done...

you are deluded if you think that output was professional.....

12 hours ago, WTF said:

once they get rid of the ridiculous rules about the design of leccy bikes things will improve.  having to have a conventional drive to the rear wheel is killing it, the wheel should be the motor, the final drive is just costing power to the rear wheel and mah from the battery. and they could also be 2 wheel drive???

I'm by no means an expert, but I do know that the last thing you would want is a really heavy rear wheel. The less unsprung weight you have the better. Keep all the weight in the center of the vehicle and low down. Putting the drive motor in the center of the rear wheel would make it a nightmare to handle.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Six appeal said:

I'm by no means an expert, but I do know that the last thing you would want is a really heavy rear wheel. The less unsprung weight you have the better. Keep all the weight in the center of the vehicle and low down. Putting the drive motor in the center of the rear wheel would make it a nightmare to handle.

Would you not get some sort of Gyroscopic effect if the rear wheel was the motor ?

Edited by dilligaf

the  motor could possibly produce less gyroscopic effects as only the rim needs to spin so the bike should be easier to turn at speed, also the motor doesn't have to take up the whole area inside the tyre, where the hub is now could just be a void.

33 minutes ago, WTF said:

the  motor could possibly produce less gyroscopic effects as only the rim needs to spin so the bike should be easier to turn at speed, also the motor doesn't have to take up the whole area inside the tyre, where the hub is now could just be a void.

I have to concede to your better knowledge here, as I cannot picture that kind of set up.